Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8Mb NGB, only getting half this

Options
  • 08-10-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Best I can get is 4.37 Mb/s download. This is consistent before and after I reboot the Zylex modem. I've gone through the trouble shooting steps and tried this over the past few weeks and the speeds don't go above 4.37 Mb/s d/l. Can you please assist? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭thret

The words "Up to" are the magic words you are looking for in there.
    This meaning that you can get any speed at max of 8mbps depending on the distance from you and your exchange area.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

Yes I do appreciate the fact it's 'up to'. When I do a line check on eircom.net it tells me I can get 'up to' 24mb download, so surely I am close enough to an exchange and I should be able to get more than 4mb d/l from an 8mb line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

I'm getting just over 1mb download on the 8mb package.

Have you logged a fault call or at least fonud out why? Are you too far from an exchange ToadVine?

• Advertisement

Talk to....Eircom, or not in this case.
    4 days still waiting on a response please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Best I can get is 4.37 Mb/s download. This is consistent before and after I reboot the Zylex modem. I've gone through the trouble shooting steps and tried this over the past few weeks and the speeds don't go above 4.37 Mb/s d/l. Can you please assist? Thanks in advance

Hi OldPeculier

I have checked your line from a previous case and the maximum capability speed is 5-6mb. Your line is also testing fine from our end. I appreciate you had completed the trouble shooting steps but I'm afraid this is the maximum speed your line can carry due to the distance the address is from the exchange (given the cables are not laid in direct line of sight). There is a possibility we can bump your line up to 6mb but this would be right on the limit your line can carry and may cause your connection to become unstable. Changing your profile will cause a drop in the speed for a couple of minutes also. Can you let me know if and when you would like me to adjust this.

Regards
    Linda

Hi Linda,
    Thanks for getting back to me, I do appreciate that. I'm in work at the moment, so do you need me to be present at home to test the line bump? I'd be happy to go ahead and test it and see how stable it is. What is the likelihood of stability issues following the bump? Thanks again, OldPeculier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

Hi Linda,
    Thanks for getting back to me, I do appreciate that. I'm in work at the moment, so do you need me to be present at home to test the line bump? I'd be happy to go ahead and test it and see how stable it is. What is the likelihood of stability issues following the bump? Thanks again, OldPeculier

Hi OldPeculier

I have requested the adjustment for you now, there's no need for you to be present but you will need to monitor it over the next 24 hours. Unfortunately we won't be able to tell how stable or unstable this may be until we carry out the adjustment. If the connection drops significantly over the weekend our broadband technical support team our available Saturday and Sunday on 1890 260 260 (8am - 10pm, 7days) and they can re-adjust your profile. If everything is stable can you let us know here so we can leave it be.

Regards
    Linda

I will indeed, thanks again Linda, I really do appreciate the support!

• Advertisement
Advertisement