Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 40, thinking of emigrating.

Options
  • 08-10-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Anybody over 40 reading this have, or would consider emigrating even if you don't have a trade or qualification ? I'm really p****d off here and would love to up root with wife and kids. I'm currently in a dead end job here and don't see any light at the end of the tunnel so would taking a risk in leaving for a better life with better prospects.
    Please share your experience if you took the plunge and have any good advice to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

While I don't have any experience (other than being in NY for 3 yrs) it is a very big move for you because you have a family, if you were single it would be a no brainer,

just check out how well you would fit in and how employable you would be, Australia is the place to go from what I can see (read), at the moment the Australian dollar is close to the euro,

and the life style is so much better, plus you have so many more places to choose from,

if it was me in your situation I would research it well, but the fact you feel like you do I think it would be very positive for you and your family, as long as they are all on board,

you misses would be the most important person in your decision, together you will make it work, be lucky and while your not 20 with the gusto to just go for it, you have the years experience, for you at 40 it is now or never,

be brave, while some of the move will be sad it will be a very good new life and great opportunity for your children, (some might disagree)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 I Eire I

Over 40? too late for ya lad :P No but seriously what job do you expect to get if you have no trade or qualification? I mean they'll be 20 year olds with qualifications out there. Who would choose you over any 20 year old? I'm not trying to be mean just being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I Eire I wrote: »
    Over 40? too late for ya lad :P No but seriously what job do you expect to get if you have no trade or qualification? I mean they'll be 20 year olds with qualifications out there. Who would choose you over any 20 year old? I'm not trying to be mean just being honest.

what as he got to lose, hes dead end job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I Eire I wrote: »

Wrong, they are looking for experience, in Australia they have widened the age for people to enter, (who have skills) to teach the young bucks,

plus someone at 40 still has a good 25 years to contribute to the work force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Wrong, they are looking for experience, in Australia they have widened the age for people to enter, (who have skills) to teach the young bucks,

plus someone at 40 still has a good 25 years to contribute to the work force.

You can emigrate to Australia up to the age of 50 now, but once you hit 40 it becomes more difficult as you only get 15 points for age 40-44 and 0 points for age 45-50.

Compare that with someone who is 25-32 who get 30 points for age alone.

Everyone needs to have a skills assessment for a migration visa which comprises of either Qualifications/Papers plus experience or if they have no formal qualifications they need to be assessed to an AQFIII plus experience.

The minimum points to lodge an Expression of Interest is 60 but they are currently inviting those with 65 -70 points, the higher the points the more chance of an invite for everyone.

In reality those who have higher qualifications, 8+ years experience and are aged 25-32 are the highest target. Those in their 40's and have PhD's are valued as well as you get 20 points for the PhD.

The other pathway to migration is to be sponsored on a temporary visa and work for 2 years for an employer in lieu of a skills assessment, its not easy to be sponsored unless you have unique skills or a skill set that is worthwhile for an employer to bother to sponsor in the first place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement