Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Care in Canada.

• 08-10-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Me and my partner are thinking of going to canada not having any joy here finding any work its gettin pretty drepressing, but my partner is diabetic and he has to take insulin every time he eats, its covered here on the medical card thankfuly because it is very expensive if we had to buy it, I was just wondering if anybody knows is there a similar thing to our medical card for long term illness in canada? iv been looking on google but not finding anything. if we had to pay for it over there it would just work out too expensive an wouldnt be much point going to save money. any help on this topic would be great thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

It will depend on the province as most health care is governed at that level. Google search for the provincial policy or get the number for the Health Ministry for the province.
    A mate of mine in work is on daily insulin and its covered but he is born here and he had to jump through a few hoops to get it.
    what will your status be when you arrive? Permanent resident?

This might help if you are going to Ontario\http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/insulin_pamp.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

You will need to contact whatever location you are emigrating to, in writing, and ask if the insulin and other related costs will be covered.

Be aware of some issues.

The first is that some countries, if they become aware that any member of a family has a medical condition, will refuse to grant permission to immigrate to that country.

The second is that if you are required to purchase health insurance, the pre-existing condition may not be covered, meaning it will be an expense every month that you pay yourself.

The third is that there may be no support for you, as an immigrant, with this medical cost.

If your partner is in receipt of an Irish contributory pension (basically an Invalidity pension, as I assume your partner is young) then there may be a way to get Ireland to pay for the insulin.

Finally, if you find yourself in financial trouble abroad, and decide to return to Ireland, you may find that the habitual residence condition is used to deny access to social welfare and medical care here in Ireland (even if you are Irish).

I know someone who is diabetic, has gone abroad and comes back to Ireland regularly to pick up a free supply of insulin and other requirements. The cost of same is not covered where this person is living.

I have other friends who decided not to immigrate when they calculated risks versus benefits, taking into account a pre-existing medical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

The healthcare in canada is provincial and they generally cover drs and hospital etc after a waiting period of 3 months except Alberta it has no waiting period. Drugs and medications are paid for by your health insurance which most people get through work. They aren't covered by the government so I doubt insulin would be aswell.

Also if you plan on moving to Canada permanently you have to undergo a medical and if you are found to be likely to cost the health system to much money (60k over ten years) you will be declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Just confirmed, Ontario does not provide medical funding for Insulin.
    But most health care plans with the major companies will cover it, or 80% of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

cool thanks for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement