Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone in the Liffey?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 9:47pm

I was waiting on a bus just there on Eden Quay and a junkie/scumbag walked up the road, heading towards the loop line bridge, on the wrong side of the road...i.e. right up against the railings where all the roadworks are going on. He was screaming some girls name (Sharon, i think), and i didn't really pay much attention.

2 minutes later, a female of the same description came down on the footpath screaming "Johhhhhn" at the top of her voice, while crying, so i put it down to the two of them having a row of some sort. Might well be unrelated to what happened next, but in the aftermath i couldn't help but put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5.

About 5 minutes later 2 marked garda cars, 1 unmarked car, an ambulance, 2 motorbikes and 2 fire tenders all arrived on scene right there at the corner of Tara St. bridge and Eden Quay, with lights and sirens going. By then my bus had arrived and the fire brigade guys looked like they were getting ropes and hi-power torches out for a search.

Nothing on the news websites, so just wondering if anbody else was there/knows whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes, someone has gone into the Liffey by Custom House Quay

If it makes any difference, the Garda boat is usually moored just up the way on Sir John Rodgersons Quay so should get a swift reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

interesting, yesterday at about 3.30 i was on the balcony of Bus Aras taking pics (as you do........) when i seen the following (see pic)) ... i havnt a clue what happened but i assume someone went into the Liffey...it was all clear by the time i got down 20 mins later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Tbh, I doubt it'd ever make the news, it happens more often than you'd think and the times i've seen the swift water response teams, and heard from members of DFB, it doesn't make the news.

Here's hoping for a good outcome though.

Out of curiosity, where'd you hear this mikemac?

Twitter really
    Just went by "liffey"

I didn't just read one source, there were several with the same info and some facebook pics of the fire brigade

As for the garda boat, it's there every day

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its a really common. it only makes the news if someone dies

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The RTE programme on the firefighters gave a figure for the number of calls the boat team deal with on the liffey. I thought it would be fairly rare, but afair it was more like 3-4 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Yea the Garda boat with DUBLIN FIRE BRIGADE written on the side of it.

I'll take another look at the boat tomorrow

Doesn't realy matter anyway, emergency services

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'll take another look at the boat tomorrow

Doesn't realy matter anyway, emergency services

Well if your house is on fire you wont mind the cops arriving to put it out?
    It might not matter to you, but it does to others.

Anyway, we're getting away from the point, hopefully his wrap of heroin didn't get soggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I was driving by there a little while ago. Definitely looked like someone was in the water on the east side of tara street bridge. There were a number of garda cars, and at least 3 (maybe 4) fire trucks parked on the customs house side of the river.

As I was driving I only glanced over, but my friend in the backseat said there was a garda boat out as well. That was at maybe about half 9 or so.

Unfortunately it's not an unusual thing to see (and not just in Dublin either). :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

McWotever wrote: »
    Anyway, we're getting away from the point, hopefully his wrap of heroin didn't get soggy.

A heartwarming comment.

Someone most likely died in the Liffey tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Piriz wrote: »
    interesting, yesterday at about 3.30 i was on the balcony of Bus Aras taking pics (as you do........) when i seen the following (see pic)) ... i havnt a clue what happened but i assume someone went into the Liffey...it was all clear by the time i got down 20 mins later...

How come there's a load of cars parked on the bridge? Are they Garda cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

It happens at least twice/three times a week, be they some drunken fool falling in or others jumping. I see it so much now it's almost normal. The emergency services guys do a great job as very few actually die, they seen to have a good save rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

McWotever wrote: »
    Yea the Garda boat with DUBLIN FIRE BRIGADE written on the side of it.

The Garda Boat is moored at Sir John Rodgersons Quay. The Fire Brigades boat is at Customs House Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I've been in the Liffey before going after an old lady that took a hop, two motorcycle gardai were there in there leathers so all they could do was throw down some lifejackets. It was further up the river (Ellis Quay) when the Blackhall Place Bridge was being built. Great entertainment for the guys on site.

Like the OP, I was on a bus driving past and got off.

Apparently the lady had done it a few times that year.

For what its worth, it really stinks in there. And I had to pay for my own shots afterwards !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Piriz wrote: »

heh, I can see myself in your photo. I was running for a life-ring, but someone else got there first, so took a few snaps.

http://tinyurl.com/96vjbmj

Thanks for bringing it back on topic!

I've wasted enough time here, the fact that the Dail have debated this, the City Council have commissioned a report as have the Dublin City Business Improvement District is enough for me see that the authorities have acknowledged the problems in the area. Me ranting on on a forum is going to make no difference.

PS, thats three times you've failed to answer a question, that's just plain rude.

*leaves the room*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mod: I've moved the posts in relation to Eden Quay being a no-go area to a new thread, it was bringing this debate far too off-topic

@McWotever, I've responded to your question in the other thread, if you wan't to discuss it further then post there.

Advertisement