Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can they do this?

• 08-10-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Bit of background, work for a company which is sort of merging with another company, still separate entities but working in the same building and complimenting each other.

I saw a position for the other company which is right up my alley, would use all my skills and I would love it so I applied.

Got a letter back today from their HR department saying they were delighted I applied and wanted to meet but....

Because they are building up a relationship with our company and its relatively new, they wont interview me unless I tell my boss I am going for the position.

Surely I am entitled to confidentiality or am I wrong in assuming that its my prerogative to apply for a job and not have to tell my boss.

PS I am not looking for legal information just peoples opinion

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI

Hey there,

This is the best forum for getting advice relating to work problems/queries.

All the best. :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TheminxIRL wrote: »
    Bit of background, work for a company which is sort of merging with another company, still separate entities but working in the same building and complimenting each other.

I saw a position for the other company which is right up my alley, would use all my skills and I would love it so I applied.

Got a letter back today from their HR department saying they were delighted I applied and wanted to meet but....

Because they are building up a relationship with our company and its relatively new, they wont interview me unless I tell my boss I am going for the position.

Surely I am entitled to confidentiality or am I wrong in assuming that its my prerogative to apply for a job and not have to tell my boss.

PS I am not looking for legal information just peoples opinion

Thanks for reading

They can if they have a relationship between your company and theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭TheminxIRL

Really? I thought it was private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

It is common practice that you tell your boss if you are applying for a position within the same company - in this case, you are applying for a position in a company that your current workplace is merging with so it's essentially the same thing.

You are entitled to apply for jobs and not have to tell your boss provided it's for an external position, but when it's internal (which this is) then you should tell your boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

In our place, a line manager must approve (not just be informed) a team member's application for an internal move.

I know it's not your problem, but it can lead to pretty awkward situations if they were seen to be poaching an internal employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭TheminxIRL

See thats where its awkward we are two totally separate companies so I would be leaving one company to work for another.

I can see all the points about not wanting to poach staff.

Oh well guess Ill stay where I am so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Even if it's not the same legal entity, if there's a relationship between the two companies, one might be hesitant taking staff from the other company unless it's been okayed first. It's better than doing the interview, and then being told you can't be transferred.

Do you reckon your boss wouldn't take it well? I wouldn't dismiss applying for it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course they can do it!

If they'd just told your boss, that would have broken confidentiality.

Instead, they're giving you the choice of either telling your boss or not. No confidentiality broken at all. But they don't want to sour their own relationship with your boss by poaching from him.

If the companies are forming a relationship, then your boss might be delighted to get a friend into the other company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its simple. The other company have conflict of interest in interviewing you. This could affect the merger and they are giving you an opportunity to resolve the conflict of interest before it goes any further.

Advertisement