Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed - Teaching Council and Pay

• 08-10-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36

Hey there,

I'd really appreciate some advice regarding an issue that I'm finding it really hard to get clarified. I'm currently doing the hdip and was asked to fill out a form for my school for if/when I get some paid work (subbing etc). Now on the form they ask if you're registered with the teaching council.
    So basically, I, and most of the dip people I know, are not registered with them (mostly because it's not essential for us). But now with all the cutbacks etc for new entrants, I'm wondering if I should actually register with them so that I'll be paid by them if I get some paid work before january (which is quite likely). I would them fall under the pay for people in the current system (and not 'new entrants' as of jan 2013 for example, if more cutbacks come into place). However, my question is, does it matter if I'm registered with TC or not to be considered an entrant as of whenever I get paid.... will it do to just be paid in general? Or should I register with them?

I'm sorry if that's really confusing.. I hope someone knows what I mean!

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Pompette wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'd really appreciate some advice regarding an issue that I'm finding it really hard to get clarified. I'm currently doing the hdip and was asked to fill out a form for my school for if/when I get some paid work (subbing etc). Now on the form they ask if you're registered with the teaching council.
    So basically, I, and most of the dip people I know, are not registered with them (mostly because it's not essential for us). But now with all the cutbacks etc for new entrants, I'm wondering if I should actually register with them so that I'll be paid by them if I get some paid work before january (which is quite likely). I would them fall under the pay for people in the current system (and not 'new entrants' as of jan 2013 for example, if more cutbacks come into place). However, my question is, does it matter if I'm registered with TC or not to be considered an entrant as of whenever I get paid.... will it do to just be paid in general? Or should I register with them?

As I understood it, you can't register with the Teaching Council if you are not qualified. If you are doing the Dip then clearly you are not qualified.

Also I don't think any teaching you do now would count in the situation outlined above as it would be unqualified service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Pompette wrote: »
    Hey there,

Hi Pompette, did you work as a teacher prior to January 2011? If you didn't you will be classed a new entrant. More info here: http://www.asti.ie/asti-membership/new-to-teaching/new-salary-scales/

Section 30 will be enacted at some stage this year which states that a teacher has to be registered to get paid. I don't know how that will fare for dip students because I know it definitely got me through teaching practice!

(I'm open to correction on anything I said here)

I hope this helps! More posters may be able to help you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

did you work as a teacher prior to January 2011? If you didn't you will be classed a new entrant.

I worked for about a week or two in December 2010 subbing sick/snow days and unqualified. Do you know if this applies to me? Obviously, I was paid in arrears, but I worked these dates. Does that count? I should research it in the event I may actually get some hours in the future!

I applied to the TC for registration in 2010 and I got registered with a number "pending further qualification". I don't know if they still do this, given new rules these days. But I'm due for renewal now, and I've just started my dip.

Could always ring them to enquire*

*Haha, like that'll do any good! Please take advice with pinch of salt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

did you work as a teacher prior to January 2011? If you didn't you will be classed a new entrant.

I worked for about a week or two in December 2010 subbing sick/snow days and unqualified. Do you know if this applies to me? Obviously, I was paid in arrears, but I worked these dates. Does that count? I should research it in the event I may actually get some hours in the future!

I applied to the TC for registration in 2010 and I got registered with a number "pending further qualification". I don't know if they still do this, given new rules these days. But I'm due for renewal now, and I've just started my dip.

Could always ring them to enquire*

*Haha, like that'll do any good! Please take advice with pinch of salt :D

Was the subbing school or department paid? I did some unqualified subbing in 2008 for a VEC so I got my allowances. If its the same for you you should be ok! I'd ring the department and they should be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

VEC. This sounds like good news to me! Cheers, must look into it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement