Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Facebook page for pound dogs

• 08-10-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a little project that has been on my mind for the last while. I was thinking of visiting my local pound once a week and taking pictures of the dogs, with the pounds permission of course. I would then put these pictures up on a dedicated facebook page, there anyone who is missing a dog, or looking for a dog can take a look at the pictures. It could also be helpful in educating people about how many dogs die in Irelands pounds each year, when each statistic has a furry face it will make it a lot more real.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before or heard anything like this? I don't really have the time to volunteer at my local rescue with college but really want to help these poor animals in some small way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There are loads of these pages on facebook. If you have a look you might see if there is one already set up for your local pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There is none set up in my county. I though there would have been but there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh I'm sorry I thought you weren't aware that these pages exist. Best of luck with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    There is none set up in my county. I though there would have been but there isn't.

You may find that there's a reason why there isn't one for your county already. Some pounds will not co-operate with any "outsiders" or well-intentioned people like yourself, despite multiple efforts over the years.
    But who knows? Maybe you'll be the one to crack the nut! That is assuming that your local pound is one of the ones I describe. Maybe it's just that nobody's offered yet.
    Either way, major skills of diplomacy will probably be needed! Good luck!

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh I'm sorry I thought you weren't aware that these pages exist. Best of luck with it!
    Thats no problem, looking at my post I realise that the way in which I worded it made it sound like that.
    DBB wrote: »
    You may find that there's a reason why there isn't one for your county already. Some pounds will not co-operate with any "outsiders" or well-intentioned people like yourself, despite multiple efforts over the years.
    But who knows? Maybe you'll be the one to crack the nut! That is assuming that your local pound is one of the ones I describe. Maybe it's just that nobody's offered yet.

Well I haven't been able to find any pages anyway, I think the best thing to do is ring the pound itself and bounce the idea off them and see what they think. If its a no go fair enough, but I think it could be a valuable source for people. From my dealings with the warden before he seems like a sound enough fellow, but then you never know. There is also the issue of opening hours, the pound is only open weekdays for 1 hour in the morning and I am in college everyday so the logistics may not work out. But I'll ring anyway and see.

Its Limerick dog pound in case anyone was wondering and if anyone knows of page then let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

First off....FAIR PLAY to you for even considering doing something like this. This country is in dire need of sorting itself out when it comes to animal welfare. Sure we all know this don't we!

It is downright disgraceful that it takes random citizens to take the initiative to do something as essential as taking a few photos to give these animals a chance at being seen and given a second chance.
    DBB wrote: »

+1 to all of above. One organisation in Wicklow is having particular trouble at gaining access to their local pound to do exactly what you want to do. Seeing the efforts they've gone to to gain access to one particular pound,with no success drives me bananas. :mad:

The "problem" will be where if, fingers crossed you ARE allowed access, are you prepared for what happens when you're not there? Pounds are overwhelmingly difficult places to go to and i hope you're ready for the emotions that follow. I say this from experience as i've been doing exactly what you want to do for one well known organisation for almost a year now. You have to be prepared for the fact that you will have to try and leave your emotions at the door and try and be as objective as you can.

Another GOOD LUCK from me though and i truly hope you're successful ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

There is a site that has photos of dogs from various pounds on it. think its called Irish Pound dogs or something similar. So you could link in with that and save yourself some work by joing an existing site and have the additional benefit of getting straight onto their followers.

As someone else has already said it will be a tough job but best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

DBB is right and I know someone who has already tried to float this idea with the pound in question only to be told no.

However there is no harm in trying again, you never know, there may have been a change in personnel since the last efforts.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Thats no problem, looking at my post I realise that the way in which I worded it made it sound like that.

Well I haven't been able to find any pages anyway, I think the best thing to do is ring the pound itself and bounce the idea off them and see what they think. If its a no go fair enough, but I think it could be a valuable source for people. From my dealings with the warden before he seems like a sound enough fellow, but then you never know. There is also the issue of opening hours, the pound is only open weekdays for 1 hour in the morning and I am in college everyday so the logistics may not work out. But I'll ring anyway and see.

Its Limerick dog pound in case anyone was wondering and if anyone knows of page then let me know :)

Limerick has one already:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Limerick-Animal-Welfare/212914858726221?ref=ts&fref=ts

might be a different organisation though

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I believe a very recent one was set up. It's called Mullingar dog shelter on Facebook and I'm led to believe it is a direct link to the county pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

If there is one already set up you could contact the person running and offer help, maybe take turns going to the pound to take the pictures, I'm sure they would be glad of some help. Well done on taking the initiative, just wish there was more people out there willing to do the same. Good luck.

gregers85 wrote: »
    Limerick has one already:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Limerick-Animal-Welfare/212914858726221?ref=ts&fref=ts

might be a different organisation though

Different organisation altogether, no kill charity which are not affiliated with the county pound. I have volunteered quite a bit but due to time constraints it just isn't possible anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Advertisement