Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are student cards a valid form of ID?

• 08-10-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was just wondering, I have one of the iConnect Student cards on the way to me, will I be able to use it to buy drink/cigarettes, go out etc? it's a photo form of ID like and you have to supply a copy of your birth cert/passport to get one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

GaryGrr wrote: »
    I was just wondering, I have one of the iConnect Student cards on the way to me, will I be able to use it to buy drink/cigarettes, go out etc?

No. You will need money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Is your name McLovin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I was just wondering, I have one of the iConnect Student cards on the way to me, will I be able to use it to buy drink/cigarettes, go out etc? it's a photo form of ID like and you have to supply a copy of your birth cert/passport to get one.

I wouldn't think it's a Garda approved ID (as they have their own), so no. Doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do u not get enough for free as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nope, sorry. Worth getting a Garda age card now, get maximum use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

Sauve wrote: »

I wouldn't think it's a Garda approved ID (as they have their own), so no. Doubtful.

Nope I have 1 and lot of people don't accept it very few low security places accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GaryGrr

Do u not get enough for free as it is

I don't want discount, I just want to know if offlicences/clubs would accept it, to save me bringing out my passport :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

No. Garda age card or passport only. An age card only costs €10 and is worth getting as it's a lot easier to replace than a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Back in my day the barman knew your father and also how old his son was. He had other things to worry about, like digging the spuds so his wife could cook the dinner. None of this ID codology back in those days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It must be a scary time of year for many teenagers. Leaving home for the first time, going to college, discovering that there's no toilet paper in the jacks and that cupboards don't stock themselves with food.

Ah well, once you make it past Fresher's Week without killing yourself with food poisoning, you should be OK. Just remember to fry the mince before you add the jar of Dolmio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Just give them your best "Grr," Gary, and no-one will question your maturity or masculinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

It may be accepted, but no guarantee. Get a Garda age card or a passport or a driving license.

Bear in mind, driving license might not be accepted.*

* Especially if your name is Prawo Jazdy.

Just remember to fry the mince before you add the jar of Dolmio.

Dolmio? What do you think this is, 2007? Lidl's best now if you're lucky and the cool kids are making their own pasta sauce these days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

No, that card will not work anywhere! Passport or Garda age card and most places except supermarkets accept a driving license.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GaryGrr

wow, some of you guys really struggle with the concept of remaining on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Why don't you just charm people into giving you free drink?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Bend over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Well I used mine in most places with no problem as ID, theyre can be a few pubs/clubs that only accept Garda ID but if its a choice between bringing a passport out everytime which I used to do myself and hated doing it in case I lost it, student ID is your best bet for the majority of places.
    Try get a Garda ID though, youll need one eventually after college, especially if like myself you still get asked for ID even in your mid 20s :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

At least we can legally buy legal stimulants legally :pac:

• Advertisement

Have some respect for your elders young man!

Jeez, young wans these days have no respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You're not getting in with tracksuits on.

You're not getting in with tracksuits on.

What about high-tops? Are they allowed in da club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Not tonight, lads.

Not tonight, lads.

Racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I feel I'm going to regret asking this, but...

What's a high-top? :confused:

Mickey H wrote: »
    I feel I'm going to regret asking this, but...

What's a high-top? :confused:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=high+tops

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I could have an oap card and I'm thinking still, it won't be valid :/

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Only time student card mockups seemed valid is when we used em to rip off nintendos!! oh; woe betide the insideous riffraffery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Well I used mine in most places with no problem as ID, theyre can be a few pubs/clubs that only accept Garda ID but if its a choice between bringing a passport out everytime which I used to do myself and hated doing it in case I lost it, student ID is your best bet for the majority of places.
    Try get a Garda ID though, youll need one eventually after college, especially if like myself you still get asked for ID even in your mid 20s :)
    I got asked for ID in Dunnes a couple of weeks ago. I'm early 30's and it wasn't a complement as I definitely don't look anywhere near 18 :rolleyes: Yer one was just being a cow. As I was going through my cards, the first one that came up was my university ID. She was only too delighted to tell me that they don't accept that and I was like "don't worry, I have an age card". She looked sickened when I pulled it out and she had to begrudgingly hand over the alcohol. Most shop assistants are sound but some of them are bored and looking to be a pain in the arse.

Once in a tesco I brought in a passport and the beour there spent about 5 minutes gawking at it before telling me she couldn't accept it because it was expired for a few months. and twas only valid for 5 years to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Not the ones I used to make...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just do what I did when I was 9, start growing a beard. You'll be able to get drink no problem, plus, you'll have a beard!

Advertisement