Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People to surf with: any advice?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I am in my mid-thirties and have had a surfboard for 3/4 years: Its a big BIC board, but its good fun. I generally surf a few times in the summer, often in Achill. I am no expert, but can get up on the board. My mates are not really into surfing, so I tend to go alone: it is nice sometimes to get away with the board and spend time in the ocean.

But it would be nice to have some company, probably also a lot safer!
    So do you surf alone?
    If not who do you surf with and how do you recommend I meet other likeminded people to surf with?
    I live in Dublin, and cycle with a club most weekends, but could surf once a month no problem!

Thanks for reading!

Arequipa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So what if you surf a bic they are good boards epically the 9ft long board but the 7'3 is a bag of sh1t

have a look at http://www.eastcoastsurfclub.com/ they meet up for pints once a month and there are surfers at all levels, trips on bank holiday weekend and ad hock trips when the surf is good, it is very much what you make of it join get stuck in and make an effort and you'll get what you put in ten fold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

OP, in the exact same scenario as you. I am in Limk, mid 30s, surf alone, as in, none of my mates do it. Would be as frequent/irregular as you when I go down the coast. I only go in the water if there is someone else in already, as I go in alone, so not taking any chances.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

there is an active surf group in Ireland over on meetup.com , called Surf-Ireland

I don't want to link directly in case that breaks some rules. but we do weekends away every month all year and feed you also.

I am a member of this , feel free to ask any questions you might have

Fionn

p.s. bring beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks so much for your replies: I appreciate it!
    Spacehopper: i will check out the East Coast Surf club; i think they meet in O'Neills, Pearse St, on the 3rd Thursday each month for beer, chat & plans: sounds interesting!!
    Fionn, thank you, the Meet Up surfing sounds cool: do you access the group via the Meetup App?
    Could you tell me roughly how many people tend to go/ratio of lads to girls/ age groups etc?

I have an annoying achilles injury at the moment which I've had since April & I cannot wait till it heals up: can get back on my bike, bit of football & hopefully some surfing!

Seacht o if u fancy heading into East Coast surfing club sometime, give me a shout!

Thanks a million!

Arequipa

• Advertisement

yes you can access Surf-Ireland on meetup.com app or website.
    Usually groups of 30 or so with an even spread of males/females and from the ages of 18-unlimited , if you Surf you get a rental and if you can't surf you get lessons. The weekends run from Friday evening through to Sunday evening and food / local pub tours / nightclub are all part of the package

See you there so !

Fionn, thanks for that...I will check Meet up on my iphone!
    All i need to do is heal this achilles & I am good to go!!
    Do you surf right thru the winter?

Arequipa.

yes there are at least 1-2 trips every month all year round, the highlight of last year was Surfing new years day with Snow covered Bluestack mountain range as a backdrop, we had a light snow shower in the water for added effect.
    It really wiped the hangover off for sure...

good luck with the Ankle

Fionn

Wow...sounds freezing but fun!!
    Thanks Fionn!

Advertisement