Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm in!!

Options
  • 08-10-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

rather than dig up old posts.. from yesterday, I am now a permanent australian resident.

I also bought a bicycle. It's been a good weekend! :)

For anyone who's interested, that makes 860 days for the de-facto partner migration visa, from shoving the application into the postbox outside the GPO in Dublin, to getting an email yesterday at home in Adelaide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 creedo

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Congratulations! Enjoy and get your citizenship when you are eligible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Congrats mate !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Thanks guys. I was thinking yesterday, we don't see enough 'success' stories here with people who've migrated with family or partners.
    I've moved to Australia on the WHV but the intention was to be with an Aussie girl I started going out with whilst in London over a year ago. We've been looking at the defacto visa. Was a lot of documentation required? Was it straightforward?

tbh, I found it quite straightforward. Pluck the documentation off the IMMI site and print off a copy for yourself. I probably had a stack of papers about an inch or two high, but that was including all my stuff and the missus', inc. all forms, statements, police clearance, supporting documents covering the 12 months, etc. They do tell you to only include the necessary bits, and they will write and ask for more info if they need it so you don't have to include everything at once.

What i found to be the hardest was finding some of the supporting documentation. It includes all of those things you think are trivial in your daily life that usually end up in the bin. Things like bills, shared bills, shared anything, invitations / cards, itinerarys from holidays taken, phone or email records (sans any content!).. My only advice to you would be to start collecting evidence of your relationship for the past 12 months at least. Once you have those things, the forms are straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

rather than dig up old posts.. from yesterday, I am now a permanent australian resident.

I also bought a bicycle. It's been a good weekend! :)

For anyone who's interested, that makes 860 days for the de-facto partner migration visa, from shoving the application into the postbox outside the GPO in Dublin, to getting an email yesterday at home in Adelaide.

Dude,
    Thinking of bying a bicycle myself, what did you buy?

• Advertisement

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Dude,
    Thinking of bying a bicycle myself, what did you buy?

lol! honestly? I'm not that big into cycling. In & out of work plus the odd trip to the beach is all i need. That said, i've bought some cheap clangers in my time, including a nice shiny bike that turned to complete rust over 3 months in dublin, and one in galway that i had for two weeks before the pedal dropped off while I was on a round-a-bout! :eek: that was fun. Anyway, not too keen to repeat the cost/quality trade-off, Anaconda had a sale on last weekend, all bikes and accessories 40% off! All i wanted was camping utensils.. Ended up with a fluid sprint 3. First impressions = love it. Took it for a 20k pedal the other day, rode b-e-a-utifully! Probably wouldn't have bought at full price though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

, and one in galway that i had for two weeks before the pedal dropped off while I was on a round-a-bout! :o

I had the seat fall off once, nearly sodomised myself :eek:

I had the seat fall off once, nearly sodomised myself :eek:

... I just realised we're missing a cringe emoticon.. :eek:

lol! honestly? I'm not that big into cycling. In & out of work plus the odd trip to the beach is all i need. That said, i've bought some cheap clangers in my time, including a nice shiny bike that turned to complete rust over 3 months in dublin, and one in galway that i had for two weeks before the pedal dropped off while I was on a round-a-bout! :eek: that was fun. Anyway, not too keen to repeat the cost/quality trade-off, Anaconda had a sale on last weekend, all bikes and accessories 40% off! All i wanted was camping utensils.. Ended up with a fluid sprint 3. First impressions = love it. Took it for a 20k pedal the other day, rode b-e-a-utifully! Probably wouldn't have bought at full price though :o

Was thinking of getting something like that my self, was looking at one the other day but it was a giant and about $500 mark aswell. Haven't cycled in about 25yrs so a bit worried that i will buy it cycle it for a few days and then throw it in the garage and forget about it:o.

Oh
    Also well done on getting the PR;)

... I just realised we're missing a cringe emoticon.. :eek:

th_racelogo_smiley_cringe.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Well done, Wooly. Lots of good cycling around Adelaide. It is always a great time when you finally get the PR also. So you will be the paddy in the fluoro green outfit with the big shamrock on the back parked outside PJ O'Briens on East Terrace enjoying a Guinness on a Sunday Arvo?!! See you there. NOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Congrats on the visa, your right we should post more positive stories here.

Im heading off to Brisbane in february with the family so ill write a report when I get there and am settled in.

seipeal1 wrote: »
    So you will be the paddy in the fluoro green outfit with the big shamrock on the back parked outside PJ O'Briens on East Terrace enjoying a Guinness on a Sunday Arvo?!! See you there. NOT!

ahh haha! do any irish actually go to PJs on a regular basis? as for the outfit, i was thinking gold helmet, white top, green pants. Too much? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

I live really near PJ's and rarely hear an Irish accent as I walk by. That was until the other day when 2 lads stumbled into me outside. I made the silly mistake of telling them it was grand, which led to the discovery of my Irishness. That proceeded to half hugs/half headlock escapade down most of Rundle Street... I ducked away as soon as I could and tend to walk routes around PJ's more often now!

That said if I see someone in gold helmet, white top and green pants I'd be well impressed!! Indeed the flouro green option either!

Congrats on getting the Visa, nice to hear success stories indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Hi Wolly,

We also got our Perm Res on the 9th Oct. Still living in Eire and hopefully moving to Perth in Jan 2013.. Booking flights this weekend... Great excitement after all the hard work. Trawling through documentation, 3 IELTS tests later... Medicals and so on... Nightmare but worth every minute ... Now all we have to do is pack the bags and box the bikes.. Roll on Oz...

henboy wrote: »
    also got our Perm Res on the 9th Oct. ... 3 IELTS tests later...

Congrats henboy. I thought is was hard moving apartment.. can't imaging moving stuff overseas. I know that sounds dumb coming from someone who has emigrated, but all i had was the clothes on my back, so to speak, and a pocket full of dreams.. :P Can i ask, why the IELTS tests? am confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Hi Wholly,
    IELTS is the English exam that the girlfriend had to sit. Loads of Irish doing it but had to repeat and its the same in Oz.... Little bit like the NCT.. Total scam... We needed it as part of the Skills Assessment.. she needed 10 points but eventually got 20 or 30.. Its essential for the WA Sponsorship and final section of the application.. Did you not have to do it ????

henboy wrote: »
    Its essential for the WA Sponsorship and final section of the application.. Did you not have to do it ????

Now that you say it, i do recall those parts of the skilled visas, an easy way to grab some points and all. But nope, none of that needed under partner migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You only need IELTS if short of points for Independent PR , state sponsorship or for certain occupations like accountants.

An Irish, British, Canadian or Yank passport on its own is usually good enough.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You only need IELTS if short of points for Independent PR , state sponsorship or for certain occupations like accountants.

An Irish, British, Canadian or Yank passport on its own is usually good enough.

Think that changed, AFAIK but not certain on this:confused: its compulsory to do an IELTS now regardless of what passport you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Think that changed, AFAIK but not certain on this:confused: its compulsory to do an IELTS now regardless of what passport you have.

Defnitely not
    SkillSelect
    Home > Workers > SkillSelect > Proof of functional English
    Proof of functional English

Proof that confirms a person's ability to communicate in English includes:

an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) average score of at least 4.5 for the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing)
    an Occupational English Test score which is at least equivalent to an IELTS 4.5, and the test was relevant to the nominated occupation

the applicant's first language is English and they have a current passport from the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland

a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia as having functional English
    evidence of a trade, diploma or higher qualification awarded by an institution in or outside Australia which involved at least two years of full-time study and all instruction was in English

evidence of completion of at least one year of full-time or equivalent study in Australia for a diploma or higher qualification and all instruction was in English.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/functional-english/

Advertisement