Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like or dislike children?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I love children, they are so much fun. Some things they say and so are just hilarious and cute!

As for the 'its the parents I don't like' self righteous moral high ground stuff, give over, no ones perfect, you learn as you go, sometimes you get it right some situations you don't. Sometimes the child is crazy that one particular moment in a given day, don't judge until you know what that persons day is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Depends on the child.

Saying "I don't like children" is a weirdo thing to say IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I like kids, not babies. Not a fan of babies at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Not that I dislike kids I just can't being around screaming babies and over-hyperactive toddlers. They can make travelling an absolute nightmare especially on flights.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I find people who like or dislike all children (or men, or women, or old people, or carpenters, or methodists) to be incredibly weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Well I guess it's a bit late for me to start hating children seeing as I'm currently knocked up :)

There's a lot of parents I hate though because they seem to read their parenting skills out of a book & have to follow it to the letter. You know the kind of people that say " we never say no to fiachra, we always give him an alternative choice & let him decide, it's so much healthier for his mental & emotional wellbeing".
    Please fcuk off book parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I find people who like or dislike all children (or men, or women, or old people, or carpenters, or methodists) to be incredibly weird.

Well most children do tend to have a lot of shared characteristics so I don't know if it's that weird a generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I don't hate children, but I'd rather not spend a lot of time in their company. I'll stop and chat to the kids on my road sometimes and they do make me laugh with their funny stories, but a twenty minute chat once a week is enough.

I was on the bus the other day, standing waiting for it to reach my stop and noticed a cute little kid in a buggy staring at me so I smiled at him, which made him shy and hide his head, but his curiousity was piqued and he would look at me every time he thought I wasn't looking so a silly game evolved of me pretending not to look at him, and then suddenly looking at him which made him squeal with laughter. We continued in this fashion until I reached my stop and I was smiling when I got off the bus and so was he - happy smiles all round - but that was enough interacting with children for me for the week.

I think it's great that some people really love children, and can get endless amusement from their antics and funny conversations, but I never was and never will be one of them. I'm definitely one of the 'prefer animals' sorts.

Malari wrote: »
    Well most children do tend to have a lot of shared characteristics so I don't know if it's that weird a generalisation.

No more than people of any other age group, probably less so than most, in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Kids are like farts...you can only just about stand your own.

No more than people of any other age group, probably less so than most, in fact.

I don't agree. You certainly couldn't say that all 20-22 year old for example are more alike than all 0-2 year olds. I think the shared characteristics at that age would define them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Well I guess it's a bit late for me to start hating children seeing as I'm currently knocked up :)

There's a lot of parents I hate though because they seem to read their parenting skills out of a book & have to follow it to the letter. You know the kind of people that say " we never say no to fiachra, we always give him an alternative choice & let him decide, it's so much healthier for his mental & emotional wellbeing".

Book parent ****!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I don't hate children, but I'd rather not spend a lot of time in their company. I'll stop and chat to the kids on my road sometimes and they do make me laugh with their funny stories, but a twenty minute chat once a week is enough.

I was on the bus the other day, standing waiting for it to reach my stop and noticed a cute little kid in a buggy staring at me so I smiled at him, which made him shy and hide his head, but his curiousity was piqued and he would look at me every time he thought I wasn't looking so a silly game evolved of me pretending not to look at him, and then suddenly looking at him which made him squeal with laughter. We continued in this fashion until I reached my stop and I was smiling when I got off the bus and so was he - happy smiles all round - but that was enough interacting with children for me for the week.

I think it's great that some people really love children, and can get endless amusement from their antics and funny conversations, but I never was and never will be one of them. I'm definitely one of the 'prefer animals' sorts.
    There's probably an angry mob gathering outside your house this very minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Not that I dislike kids I just can't being around screaming babies and over-hyperactive toddlers. They can make travelling an absolute nightmare especially on flights.

On a flight back from Oslo when my son was 1 he cried from the moment we sat on the plane. We tried EVERYTHING to soothe him from bottles to books to toys nothing would make him stop. I"d say the people around us were so angry with us, but they were so lovely about it. We kept apologizing and they were really nice to us. They annoying thing was, as soon as we landed he stopped :o. So embarrassing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Not a fan of kids. They can be cute and funny and all...but then they get their hands on liga and petit filous, and it all goes downhill.

That and the snot bubbles, can't be dealing with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like kids as they are generally fun and good humoured.

Parents are the issue for me.

Can't stand the type that make martyrs of themselves for being a parent as if it's the most difficult thing in the world.

One's that fill my Facebook timeline with hundreds of pictures of them at play or going for haircut etc.

Think that their children are so precious etc and don't let them outside to play.

Don't know what's happened but I find this generation completely mollycoddled that we're breeding a nation of wimps for the next generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Have 3 myself. They're generally scum.
    I take it they're girls if you dislike them so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Children are just like farts, you can just about stand your own

...forget it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

As log as they stay away from my house (especially around Halloween with their fireworks), let them be happy like a pig in shi** ;)

I don't mess around in their front garden either, so fair is fair.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    I don't agree. You certainly couldn't say that all 20-22 year old for example are more alike than all 0-2 year olds. I think the shared characteristics at that age would define them.

It just seems lazy to me to judge a group of people by 'shared characteristics' but not do the same for another group but that's your prerogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ive a nephew no sprogs that I know off.. I like kids there great fun dont really see why you wouldnt like them i think its a case of not liking there parents as there the ones who spoil kids...

It just seems lazy to me to judge a group of people by 'shared characteristics' but not do the same for another group but that's your prerogative.

I'm not judging anyone. I'm just saying that children can be grouped quite easily that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Doubt you have. The second part of your sentence is astonishingly stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

They do take after their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Haha, that made me laugh, I hate parents like that! I had a friend who was like that with her first, when the baby was starting solids, she bought a recipe book with baby recipes! I mean, wtf, surely you just take ordinary adult food and smush it up! Also, before she started the baby on solids, it was obvious to everyone that the baby was hungry, but she refused to start her on solids until she was exactly 20 weeks, because that’s what the book said. I mean, I know there are guidelines, but you have to use a bit of cop on at times. She chilled out a bit by the time her second came along.

Congrats on the impending arrival by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Then they start school and the parents expect you to treat their child exactly as they treated him/her, all the while forgetting you have to deal with thirty other children!

Maybe I should get myself a book called 'Dealing with Thirty Children' and refer troublesome parents to it if they ever question my inability to do every little thing for their child :pac:

EDIT : Children are great for the most part, the ones who come in with an attitude of 'I don't respect anyone until they earn it' are extremely difficult to like however

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

One kid I can tolerate. Anymore than one and its a no from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I live babies. Think theyre incredibly funny :L kids are annoying though. Hateful things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

On a flight back from Oslo when my son was 1 he cried from the moment we sat on the plane. We tried EVERYTHING to soothe him from bottles to books to toys nothing would make him stop. I"d say the people around us were so angry with us, but they were so lovely about it. We kept apologizing and they were really nice to us. They annoying thing was, as soon as we landed he stopped :o. So embarrassing :D

On my way back from a holiday in France earlier this year, exact same thing happened and I had the misfortune of being in front of a screaming toddler of around 2 or 3 years old, I guess it was because of the noise off the engines scaring the kid - seats were right behind them. The crying and kicking went on most of the flight. Couldn't really blame the parents, felt sorry for them as well as often toddlers and babies just won't stop crying no matter what. They were very apologetic still though it made it a horrible flight to be on and it's happened before but nothing much can be done about it if a young child decides to act up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I like them so much im up on charges

Evening Gary. Not so invisible after all. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Mickey H wrote: »
    I like them so much im up on charges

Evening Gary. Not so invisible after all. ;)

Gary is now Jimmy! Speaking from the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Neeson wrote: »
    Gary is now Jimmy! Speaking from the coffin.

Oh, contraversial. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ah children, 5 mins of fun, 9 months of waiting and a lifetime ahead of you. We all get p'd off with them but we were all lil nippers once and no doubt did everything they do now that makes out blood boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Don't mind kids in small doses but never want one of my own.

Was the designated childminder of my sister from when she was a few months old until she started primary school.Didn't mind doing it as my Mam had to work,but it completely put me off the idea of ever having kids.Even now she's a teenager she's still a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Stinicker wrote: »
    Ah children,5 mins of fun, 9 months of waiting and a lifetime ahead of you.

5 minutes? Was it not a bit more passionate or was it an unplanned pregnancy resulting from a quick fu.ck on your lunch break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

i never liked any kids until my second nephew, hes a funny little fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We always wanted three kids but now that we have two, we don't want any :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I've a very low tolerance for noise, so I can get very irritated around them. I like a well behaved, well mannered child, and this can only come from good parenting.

There is a child about 10 that lives near me that annoys the shït out of me, can't stand the sight of her, yet when it boils back down to it I know she is the product of irresponsible parents, that drag up kids rather than bring them up. I've had had quite a few chats with this girl and you can tell all she needs is some encouragement and guidance. It's a shame she's never going to get that at home.

I sit on the fence with kids, I'll warm to them or I'll run away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I actually never really liked kids much preferred animals but now I've my own one he's ok like:p but still I don't like groups of kids I get very stressed out by them!!

Advertisement