Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plan to build $84 million Super Mosque in Dublin Ireland.

• 08-10-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Plan-to-build-84-million-Islamic-center-in-Dublin-to-host-40000-Muslims-in-the-city-172632091.html#ixzz28drMaw1L

I personally object to this and I hope we quickly quash the argument that this will lead to creation of new jobs and investment, because the long term ramifications of this are large. We would not be allowed to even spread other religion on the street in many of the countries where the people are from, let alone build a cultural center for it. It is because of this religion that 9 year old girls can be married, and had sex with in countries like Saudi Arabia, beheadings of gays, etc. Islam has branches that are still stuck in the Middle Ages and worse, I'm not even going to argue on that point, and I think we should take active steps against it being built. There has been enough suffering due to unchecked religion here already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Seeing how they behave (murdering people, burning down embassies, etc) over the most trivial things would definitely put me off allowing them open a super-center here.

What's in it for Gerry, that's what I want to know. Is he charging admission or something? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lagente wrote: »
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Plan-to-build-84-million-Islamic-center-in-Dublin-to-host-40000-Muslims-in-the-city-172632091.html#ixzz28drMaw1L

I personally object to this and I hope we quickly quash the argument that this will lead to creation of new jobs and investment, because the long term ramifications of this are large. We would not be allowed to even spread other religion on the street in many of the countries where the people are from, let alone build a cultural center for it. It is because of this religion that 9 year old girls can be married, and had sex with in countries like Saudi Arabia, beheadings of gays, etc. Islam has branches that are still stuck in the Middle Ages and worse, I'm not even going to argue on that point, and I think we should take active steps against it being built. There has been enough suffering due to unchecked religion here already.

The countries where these people are from? Oh dear, oh dear.

Old school friend of mine is Muslim - she's Cork born and bred. Can't say I have noticed many beheadings in Patrick St but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

Or two Muslim's I recently met in Spain. They're English. Not in a born in England way but in an actual Anglo-Saxon with a drop of Norman way. Has there been an outbreak of beheadings in England??? No mention of it on Sky News...:confused:

Of course Christianity doesn't have any branches that are stuck in the Middle Ages - even leaving aside the Amish who have maybe entered the 18th century by now - there are the lovely folks in the Westboro Baptist church. Charming people with their post-modernly ironic 'God Hates Fags' signs...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The countries where these people are from? Oh dear, oh dear.

Old school friend of mine is Muslim - she's Cork born and bred. Can't say I have noticed many beheadings in Patrick St but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

I will touch briefly on this, and tell you that because of this religion in Ireland there is sheer hell being raised in Syria at this moment by attempting to escalate a war which the UN has said there are no winners.
    People going to fight there who are not even Syrian, stopping off to go to Turkey first. How do we police this?
    We can't! We didn't stop the suicide bombers who went to Iraq from here either.
    But we can stop the problem from growing, by resisting this supermosque.

Primetime showing Sunni community had at least 11 known of the Irish suicide bombers that went to Iraq were dead by end of 2006. How many did they kill? Who knows!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wiGHbk6jIs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Seeing how they behave (murdering people, burning down embassies, etc) over the most trivial things would definitely put me off allowing them open a super-center here.

Well based on that logic we should immediately start dismantling all RC churches. Seeing how they behave (raping children, etc) would definitely put me off allowing them to have places of worship here.

Or perhaps we could be more tolerant and realize that not all followers of islam are the same and therefore we shouldn't tar them all with the same brush

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Like the Irish Republican Army in the 1970's.

I will touch briefly on this, but I will tell you that because of this religion in Ireland there is sheer hell being raised in Syria at this moment by attempting to escalate a war which the UN has said there are no winners.
    People going to fight there who are not even Syrian, stopping off to go to Turkey first. How do we police this?
    But we can stop the problem here from growing, by resisting this supermosque.

Primetime showing Sunni community had at least 11 known of the Irish suicide bombers that went to Iraq were dead by end of 2006. How many did they kill? Who knows!

and if we made the Catholic church illegal, seized all their goods and property and made all it's clergy get regular jobs or go on the dole we could ensure no child will ever be sexually abused by an Irish priest ever again, get loads of property (including a great many schools and hospitals) and land. A win-Win situation.

Edit : Bloodwing beat me to it.

So what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

First of all Im not Muslim, Im Roman Catholic. Do I have any problem with these being built?
    Off course I don't. As long as they're not being funded by the tax payer I couldn't care less if it was to be built in my back garden.
    Likewise if Archbishop Diarmuid Martin wants to build a new church it should receive no state funding.

On the issue of them burning down embassies, which embassies were burnt down in Dublin? How many riots were held in Dublin over this?

Are there some crazy people in Islam?
    Yes there are!
    Are there some crazy Catholics?
    Yes there are!
    Are there some crazy Atheists?
    Yes there are!

However just because there are some crazy Catholics and Atheists in the world, we don't automatically see all Catholics/Atheists as crazy people.
    So why see all members of the muslim community the same way?

Ive friends who are muslim. They're intelligent friendly, hardworking and contributing members of the community.
    Maybe during the Middle Ages, we could have gotten away with your type of narrow-mindedness but not today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I will touch briefly on this, but I will tell you that because of this religion in Ireland there is sheer hell being raised in Syria at this moment by attempting to escalate a war which the UN has said there are no winners.

Just for your information islam ≠ suicide bomber ≠ islam. You seem to be getting the two confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Personally I'd like to see them build it just to piss off xenophobes and islamophobes. Islam will never be a force in Ireland, even the RC church who once had a strangle hold on Ireland is nowadays a non-existent force in Irish life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Medieval sectarianism from somebody complaining about others being stuck in the middle ages.
    We would not be allowed to even spread other religion on the street in many of the countries where the people are from

So we should follow the example of oppressive regimes then?

And what about the Irish people who went to fight against Franco in the Spanish Civil war? Did they kill people? Did they go to a foreign country to fight in a war that had nothing to do with them?
    Yet they're seen as heroes here! Should we ostracize them from our history for doing the very same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭lagente

RMD wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see them build it just to piss off xenophobes and islamophobes. Islam will never be a force in Ireland, even the RC church who once had a strangle hold on Ireland is nowadays a non-existent force in Irish life.

I'd imagine if you were living in some vaste parts of the world run by these theocracies you might soon be both an intolerant xenophobe and islamophobe.

I'd imagine if you were living in some vaste parts of the world run by this theocracy you might soon be both an intolerant xenophobe and islamophobe.

What theocracy would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ban all religion - it's (most likely) absolute and utter bollocks founded in belief of fairy tales, yet it is the root cause or has a large part to play in just about all major conflicts.

sdeire wrote: »
    Ban all religion - it's (most likely) absolute and utter bollocks founded in belief of fairy tales, yet it is the root cause or has a large part to play in just about all major conflicts.

Am I not entitled to believe in whatever I want?
    Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean you can't force everyone else too as well.

Like I don't agree with Sinn Feins or the ULA's policy for balancing the books! However I can't stop them from spouting their beliefs unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Some people from religion X commit bad acts Y, Z, therefore all members of religion X support and want to commit acts Y, Z and are all bad.

Hmm...nope, no logical flaws there, seems impenetrably consistent to me, can't fault that, sure they must all be evil..or something.

sdeire wrote: »

No point in replacing one kind of intolerance with another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but even though the following excerpt was a tongue in cheek piece, it does raise an interesting issue related to this thread. Some board members may take offence (but then aren't taking offence and showing tolerance different sides of the same coin?).

Regarding the building of a mosque in an English town;

I think it should be the goal of every Englishman to be tolerant.Thus the Mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.That is why I also propose that two nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque, thereby promoting tolerance from within the mosque.
    We could call one of the clubs, which would be gay, "The Turban Cowboy", and the other a topless bar called "You Mecca Me Hot." Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork, and adjacent to that an open-pit barbeque pork restaurant, called " Iraq
    o' Ribs." Across the street there could be a lingerie store called "Victoria Keeps
    Nothing Secret ", with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods. Next door to the lingerie shop there would be room for an adult sex toy shop, "Koranal Knowledge ", its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store called "Morehammered."
    All of this would encourage the Muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they demand of us, so the mosque problem would be solved.

As I said, all jokes aside, it does raise the issue of tolerance being reciprocal.

Did you get that from the BNP newsletter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

booom wrote: »
    As I said, all jokes aside, it does raise the issue of tolerance being reciprocal.

Surely then in the interest of tolerance, we should open such establishments near churches and other places of worship as well. After all, surely tolerance should apply to everyone, in fact surely a tolerant person, wouldn't have only singled out Mosques for such treatment.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but even though the following excerpt was a tongue in cheek piece, it does raise an interesting issue related to this thread. Some board members may take offence (but then aren't taking offence and showing tolerance different sides of the same coin?).

Regarding the building of a mosque in an English town;

I think it should be the goal of every Englishman to be tolerant.Thus the Mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.That is why I also propose that two nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque, thereby promoting tolerance from within the mosque.
    We could call one of the clubs, which would be gay, "The Turban Cowboy", and the other a topless bar called "You Mecca Me Hot." Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork, and adjacent to that an open-pit barbeque pork restaurant, called " Iraq
    o' Ribs." Across the street there could be a lingerie store called "Victoria Keeps
    Nothing Secret ", with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods. Next door to the lingerie shop there would be room for an adult sex toy shop, "Koranal Knowledge ", its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store called "Morehammered."
    All of this would encourage the Muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they demand of us, so the mosque problem would be solved.

I think the majority of any society would attempt to reject all of the above.

Look at what the people near Parnell St did with Stringfellow's.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I agree with the point made about how is there religious equality if i'll be killed while trying to build a Christian church in any one of 40 or 50 Muslum cities in Asia or Africa yet they can build a mosque anywhere they want?
    By all means they can build a Mosque here but i feel only if they allowed me build my church in Islamabad etc.

Aiel wrote: »
    By all means they can build a Mosque here but i feel only if they allowed me build my church in Islamabad etc.

There 8 in Islamabad already:
    Islamabad Churches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

I read a report a while ago that said the highest conversion rate to Islam is amoung Roman Catholics ( this is Roman Catholics in general and not specific to the republic if Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

Nobody is denying there are churches in Islamabad, or elsewhere in Pakistan- don't really see what that has to do with the thread. But seeing as you're making it an issue here's a few tidbits regarding churches in Pakistan. To my knowledge we haven't had any grenade attacks in clonskea or shootings on the SCR.

On October 28, 2001, an attack on a Protestant church in Bahawalpur had resulted in 16 deaths. The casualties were all Christian worshippers except a cop. On March 17 2002, an attack on a Protestant church in Islamabad’s Diplomatic Enclave killed five, including a US diplomat’s wife and daughter.On August 9, three nurses—and an attacker—were killed in an attack on a church in Taxila’s Christian Hospital. Not strictly church related but, In August 2002, gunmen stormed a Christian missionary school for foreigners in Islamabad, killing six.On December 25, assailants threw a grenade at a Presbyterian church near Sialkot, killing three young girls on Christmas.In November 2005, Roman Catholic, Salvation Army and United Presbyterian churches were attacked at Sangla Hill (near Lahore). The attack was over allegations of violation of blasphemy laws by a local Christian, Yousaf Masi.In August 2009, six Christians were burnt alive and a church set ablaze in Gojra for allegedly desecrating the Quran.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrD012

Gerry Gannon should be removed from the the building Industry , he is a Golden Circle investor in Anglo and was a major factor in the collapse of the economy , NAMA and everything it owns belongs to the Irish taxpayer and this is how they repay us by allowing him not only to work for them on a big salary but allowing "our Land" yes the tax payers land to be sold to Saudi Arabia for them advance their conquest of Ireland with not just another Mosque but a super one at that.

The economic argument is a ruse in that yes it may provide 12 months or so employment in construction etc and it will certainly make plenty of money for the developer , but after its all finished what we are really left with is a long term social problem , we are left with a UK style society where many people including Muslim women are suffering the effects of Islam and shariah law .

let us study the History of Islam in the UK and the present day effects on British Society before leaping for everything that sounds like it will get us out of the Mess , because if we dont , the Mess might get a hole lot bigger and irreversable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

Well, fortunately for Irish muslims who wish to practice their faith, their freedom to do that is enshrined in the constitution. (article 44)

For those who are against it, sure you could always try to get an amendment approved by both Houses of the Oireachtas, then submitted to a referendum, and finally signed into law by the President.

Good luck with that.

Nobody is denying there are churches in Islamabad, or elsewhere in Pakistan- don't really see what that has to do with the thread.

Except that someone did essentially do exactly that:
    I agree with the point made about how is there religious equality if i'll be killed while trying to build a Christian church in any one of 40 or 50 Muslum cities in Asia or Africa yet they can build a mosque anywhere they want?

The above post clearly use Islamabad as an example..........

BTW, what you talked would also have nothing to do with the thread, by your own logic, btw Attacks on Muslim in the West do happen as well:

The headscarf martyr: murder in German court sparks Egyptian fury
    N.Y. man charged with stabbing cab driver for being Muslim
    Eight attacks, 11 days
    Iraqi Woman Beaten to Death in California, Hate Crime Suspected

Not just Muslims attacked either:
    Deaths in Sikh temple attack in US

Those have about as much relevance as your examples from Pakistan.....

• Advertisement

Do you have any desire to build a church in Islamabad?

Which is your church?

I've had two Muslim friends in my time, both of them great guys. The whole bowing and praying seems a bit odd to me but they'd probably see things in a Catholic church as strange.

Neither of them have ever chopped off anyone's hands, both are married to girls from Christian families and, aside from not drinking, are no different to the rest of my friends.

Well, fortunately for Irish muslims who wish to practice their faith, their freedom to do that is enshrined in the constitution. (article 44)

Nobody is saying people should not be allowed practice their faith , what they are saying is that you must look at the effects on society a particular faith may have , effects which are well documented in the UK.

Also when the constitution was written nobody could forsee the direction in which Islam would take , there are many good muslims but there is an increasing radical element around the world and you must not close your eyes to it , the Irish people must be protected at all times.

Also there is plenty of room at the clonskeagh mosque , the only reason for this mosque is that the developer needs people for his housing project and hopes to encourage more Islamic settlers from the Uk and Asia.

Also constitutions are changed all the time to protect their people , its no big deal to do so.

I've had two Muslim friends in my time, both of them great guys.

yes and so did I and lots of other people but with respect thats not the issue. The issue is the long term effects on the Residents in Clongriffin but also wider society , we must not turn a blind eye to the UK situation.

I'll give you an example.

During Ramadan Muslim parents were removing their small children from school music lessons , when asked why they were doing this , they said they did not know that they were told to do so by the local Imam , this kind of thing causes major disruptions for other pupils who are trying to learn when all this is going on. this is just one of many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

MrD012 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying people should not be allowed practice their faith , what they are saying is that you must look at the effects on society a particular faith may have , effects which are well documented in the UK.

Also when the constitution was written nobody could forsee the direction in which Islam would take , there are many good muslims but there is an increasing radical element around the world and you must not close your eyes to it , the Irish people must be protected at all times.

Also there is plenty of room at the clonskeagh mosque , the only reason for this mosque is that the developer needs people for his housing project and hopes to encourage more Islamic settlers from the Uk and Asia.

Also constitutions are changed all the time to protect their people , its no big deal to do so.

You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You're saying that people should be allowed to practice their faith and build places to do that. Except muslims.

ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It is irrelevant and even rather silly to cite authoritarian and intolerant regimes in other parts of the world and suggest we should in any way emulate them.

Here in Ireland, we are subject to our own laws and constitution, Article 44.1.2 of which states:
    Freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are, subject to public order and morality, guaranteed to every citizen.

Thus Muslims have every right to build a mosque for themselves.

And that from someone who sometimes suspects Richard Dawkins is a bit too soft on religion.:)

You're saying that people should be allowed to practice their faith and build places to do that. Except muslims.

I'm saying that we do not want to repeat the mistakes the UK has made by allowing an uncontrolled migration of Islamic settlers .

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    It is irrelevant and even rather silly to cite authoritarian and intolerant regimes in other parts of the world and suggest we should in any way emulate them.

I dont think anybody was saying that , they were merely pointing out that in Most Islamic countries christianity and other religions are tightly controlled and we need to ask ourselves the reason for this .

I'm saying that we do not want to repeat the mistakes the UK has made by allowing an uncontrolled migration of Islamic settlers .

Are the people who want the mosque not already here?

The people who want the Mosque are people NAMA met with on their trip to the Middle East to sell off Irish Taxpayer owned Property.

The people who want the Mosque are people NAMA met with on their trip to the Middle East to sell off Irish Taxpayer owned Property.

I don't understand any more.

Has the immigration not already happened, hence the need for the mosque?

Surely middle eastern folk aren't putting up a mosque for a Muslim population which does not yet live in Ireland.

Surely middle eastern folk aren't putting up a mosque for a Muslim population which does not yet live in Ireland.

now your getting it , the clonskeagh mosque is more than adequate to accomodate the muslim population , the purpose of this mosque is to attract more Islamic Settlers , the saudi investors see it as a way to strengthen the Islamic colonies in the west , I mean thats their ultimate goal , they're not in it to make money , I mean if they were I'm sure they could think of better ways than setting up a Mosque, I mean how much money can a Mosque make.

• Advertisement

now your getting it , the clonskeagh mosque is more than adequate to accomodate the muslim population , the purpose of this mosque is to attract more Islamic Settlers

From Islamia?

You do realise Islam is a religion not a race yeah?

There are Irish Muslims. People born, bred and raised in Ireland who are Muslim.

What about EU citizens who are Muslim - should be stop them coming in too?

now your getting it , the clonskeagh mosque is more than adequate to accomodate the muslim population , the purpose of this mosque is to attract more Islamic Settlers

If we were to have a decent infrastructure, then yes. As it is, getting from Clongriffin to Clonskeagh is torture.

If there are issues with Islamic immigrants, preventing them from worshipping is not the way to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

junder wrote: »
    I read a report a while ago that said the highest conversion rate to Islam is amoung Roman Catholics ( this is Roman Catholics in general and not specific to the republic if Ireland).

Are these the ones who like to be told what to do from morning to night, what to eat(when and where) etc. Replacing one extreme for another imo:(

Btw I'm not against Mosque's being built anywhere - just don't go along with the whole religion thing(no matter what faith you follow).

If there are issues with Islamic immigrants, preventing them from worshipping is not the way to deal with it.

nobody is preventing anybody from doing anything , as I said , the clonskeagh Mosque is enormous and more than adequate to cope with the demand.

nobody is preventing anybody from doing anything , as I said , the clonskeagh Mosque is enormous and more than adequate to cope with the demand.

Well, perhaps instead of building a new mosque we should give them some of those enormous Catholic churches that are all over the country which hardly any body bothers to use any more.
    Sure the Catholic don't need so many huge buildings - they don't even have enough priests for every parish.

But it can take 90 minutes to get from North Dublin to there. That must be the rationale. They wouldn't go building a facility that they don't need.

There are Irish Muslims. People born, bred and raised in Ireland who are Muslim.

what has what you said got to do with anything , we are talking about the Clongriffin Mosque . ?
    What about EU citizens who are Muslim - should be stop them coming in too?

I am saying we need to look a short distance accross the waters to the UK and study the Impacts Islam has had on the UK society.

But it can take 90 minutes to get from North Dublin to there. That must be the rationale. They wouldn't go building a facility that they don't need.

your having a laugh now , I really dont know why I even bothered coming on this forum if people are just going to go off on tangents and start talking about "Travel Distances" within Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

So you want Ireland to be more like Islamic countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A 34 classroom school just for Muslims?

Seems like a recipe for disaster. Having almost an entire generation's worth of a group of people learn and grow up completely separated from the rest of society is a surefire way to brew up problems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement