Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes

Options
  • 09-10-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering do foxes normally attack people? I have work on wednesday and sunday nights and it has few trees, I finish at midnight and when leaving I see a fox or two staring at me then running away, I usually jump into car quickly, know this may sound weird but can they attack randomly? or will they usually stand off doing that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You are safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

They will just run away from you,unless you inadvertently manage to corner one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

As said, foxes will always run away. They are very afraid of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

mmcn90 wrote: »
    As said, foxes will always run away. They are very afraid of people.
    No they are not
    Not city foxes they are not afraid anymore
    As someone who shoots them I can tell u and so will lads on huntin forum there is a huge difference between city foxes and country foxes
    Country lads will run a mile but city lads won't and can stand there ground
    There has also been a rise in attacks mainly on children and all occuring in built up areas
    But as opposed to your query on them attackin a fully grown adult no they won't you are safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

No they are not
    As someone who shoots them I can tell u and so will lads on huntin forum there is a huge difference between city foxes and country foxes
    There has also been a rise in attacks mainly on children and all occuring in built up areas
    But as opposed to your query on them attackin a fully grown adult no they won't you are safe

funny how the last fox attacks i heard about was back when you could get a reward for a fox's tale..

as someone who has lived around " city " foxes... you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Google fox attacks
    And also few weeks ago a child was attacked playin in his garden in broad daylight under the trampoline in his garden
    Fox attacks his legs and left him horribly scarred he was 8 year old afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering do foxes normally attack people? I have work on wednesday and sunday nights and it has few trees, I finish at midnight and when leaving I see a fox or two staring at me then running away, I usually jump into car quickly, know this may sound weird but can they attack randomly? or will they usually stand off doing that?

You are quite safe. There are plenty of foxes where I live and where I used to live, if returning home after midnight you are nearly guaranteed to meet some and my dog can sniff them where they use to pass. Never any trouble; they may observe you from a distance that's all. As far as I can tell most horror stories about them taking on children or cats are from where the animals can be rabid.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Yes I must agree with the previous poster dodderangler. I used to live in London and foxes seem quite brazen there. They wander around streets on bin day. Could see them walking on the Common by my apartment all the time. On one occasion I seen a fox run at two people who had a small dog on a lead.

Also while I was there a fox got into some ones house and mauled a baby http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/07/fox-attack-twins

Country foxes are much more nervous of people. City foxes are bad-asses! I'd imagine they are more inclined to attack people if they are spooked or pissed off though, no more than a dog would.

Just to be extra secure - when you are running to your car, you should wave your hands in the air, run in a zigzag fashion and scream hysterically. Then you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd be more wary of a badger, we have loads of them around here and they are supposed to have a strong bite if cornered but I don't think they live in cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Google fox attacks
    And also few weeks ago a child was attacked playin in his garden in broad daylight under the trampoline in his garden
    Fox attacks his legs and left him horribly scarred he was 8 year old afaik

Care to provide a link?
    I did a quick google and that did not come up until I was much more specific,
    and otego is where? I thought Canada by the sounds of it and the other stuff mentioned, but says NY.
    It also says it is a gray fox, a different creature to our red, its also possible it was misidentified for a different animal altogether, The Coyote?

All the same thats not Dublin at all.
    I've seen less and less foxes and none recently near me, they are very shy creatures and only a very limited number of reported (alleged attacks).

• Advertisement

I'd be more wary of a badger, we have loads of them around here and they are supposed to have a strong bite if cornered but I don't think they live in cities.
    Badgers are different altogether
    Bad ass isn't the word for them lads
    They are related to wolverines ffs
    Your talkin 20kilos, metre long 2 foot wide claws over 7 inches long and serious set of teeth to match its bad attitude
    So avoid them lads at all costs

Merch wrote: »
    Care to provide a link?
    I did a quick google and that did not come up until I was much more specific,
    and otego is where? I thought Canada by the sounds of it and the other stuff mentioned, but says NY.
    It also says it is a gray fox, a different creature to our red, its also possible it was misidentified for a different animal altogether, The Coyote?

All the same thats not Dublin at all.
    I've seen less and less foxes and none recently near me, they are very shy creatures and only a very limited number of reported (alleged attacks).

I know it's not the same case as Dodderangler but here is two which happened while i lived in london

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8852771/Boy-attacked-by-fox-in-bedroom.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-125763/Parents-tell-horror-fox-attacks-sleeping-baby.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

unless they have rabies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

dchris wrote: »
    Yes I must agree with the previous poster dodderangler. I used to live in London and foxes seem quite brazen there. They wander around streets on bin day. Could see them walking on the Common by my apartment all the time. On one occasion I seen a fox run at two people who had a small dog on a lead.

Also while I was there a fox got into some ones house and mauled a baby http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/07/fox-attack-twins

Country foxes are much more nervous of people. City foxes are bad-asses! I'd imagine they are more inclined to attack people if they are spooked or pissed off, like a dog would.

Just to be extra secure - when you are running to your car, you should wave your hands in the air, run in a zigzag fashion and scream hysterically. Then you'll be fine.

Given the last paragraph in your post suggests an element of sarcasm, but the rest of it sounds like you mean it. So one incident, that was highly publicised, I have my doubts a bit but lets say it is 100% accurate, then the rest of your post is an over reaction.
    How many people do you imagine are attacked by dogs, hundreds? thousands? millions? I say kill em all, just in case, as a precaution.
    I highly doubt they would stand their ground to even a small child that knew they were there unless you were near their set and that'd likely apply to any animal.

Merch wrote: »
    Given the last paragraph in your post suggests an element of sarcasm, but the rest of it sounds like you mean it. So one incident, that was highly publicised, I have my doubts a bit but lets say it is 100% accurate, then the rest of your post is an over reaction.
    How many people do you imagine are attacked by dogs, hundreds? thousands? millions?
    I highly doubt they would stand their ground to even a small child that knew they were there unless you were near their set and that'd likely apply to any animal.

Sorry I meant to say "no more than a dog would" not "like a dog would"

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

A family of foxes live very close to me in Dublin 12 and if they see me they always run away. Some foxes get cheeky because humans try to make friends with them by feeding them, etc and make them less afraid. Urban foxes should be left to their own devices and they will stay fearful it is better for us and better for the foxes. Not all humans are friendly either!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ok a few facts

Fox (Vulpes vulpes) belong to the order Carnivora (ie carnivores) they are also opportinistic feeders and will take food where they can

Foxes in urban environments appear to have lost many of their more normal behaviours living in close proximity with humans and showing less fear than their country cousins

Urban foxes have been observed to eat rats, pigeons and even cats
    There have been a number of documented attacks on humans more often children and despite the baying of the cute foxey advocates can and do present (albeit risk) to small pets and also possibly children

On a health point of view - foxes can present with a number of diseases including mange which may be a fatal condition for them and can be passed to other animals

In Europe they may be carriers of rabbies

If you have observed a fox lurking in a particular vicinity it may be a fox with a specific terriority best to give it a wide bearth in case it is old / sick / injured.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Do you know we are talking about DUBLIN, this forum is for DUBLIN.

London is a completely different place to DUBLIN. DUBLIN is not as over populated as London. Even in the city of DUBLIN there are large green spaces. Foxes rarely come into close contact with people in DUBLIN unlike those in London. I have seen London foxes and DUBLIN foxes - they are a completely different.

Just leave them alone and let them get on their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

irishbird wrote: »

Do you know we are talking about DUBLIN, this forum is for DUBLIN.

London is a completely different place to DUBLIN. DUBLIN is not as over populated as London. Even in the city of DUBLIN there are large green spaces. Foxes rarely come into close contact with people in DUBLIN unlike those in London. I have seen London foxes and DUBLIN foxes - they are a completely different.

Just leave them alone and let them get on their business.

Ahhh their Oirish foxes to be sure - grand lads altogether - not like those ol' sasanach ones at all at all....;)

But shssss I'll let you in on something - see those foxes ? They are all bloody culchies that have been sneaking into Dublin in the dead of night taking up residence and then looking for free accommodation and grub . Send them back to culchieville before they take over!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

A family of foxes live very close to me in Dublin 12 and if they see me they always run away. Some foxes get cheeky because humans try to make friends with them by feeding them, etc and make them less afraid. Urban foxes should be left to their own devices and they will stay fearful it is better for us and better for the foxes. Not all humans are friendly either!

That wouldnt happen to be around Bunting Park would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Grew up by the Dodder where there are a fair few foxes and there was no trouble with them at all. On the rare occasion you'd see them they'd scarper pretty sharpish. The nearest I ever got was walking home from the pub alone one night and one ran across me no more than a meter away. Sobered me up damn quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

Can you provide any newspaper / online / any links to such stories, that support your personal theory?

I've heard of one fox attack in england several years ago. If such attacks were "on the rise" then reporting on such must also be on the rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No they are not

Tell that to the ones on my road, they run a mile. Any statistics to back up your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Your talkin 20kilos, metre long 2 foot wide claws over 7 inches long and serious set of teeth to match its bad attitude
    Have you any more nonsense you would like to come out with?..how about man eating Rabbits or something.Folks beware of many posters on threads like this..they are the pro hunting lot trying to demonise their quarry with outrageous lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i regularly see foxes in terenure. the probably come up from bushy park

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Foxes in Ireland do not have rabies.

There have been no reports in Ireland of fox attacks on either adults or children, certainly not in the last ten years.

The reports in the UK seem worrying until you consider that the vast majority occur in London - a city with 3 times the population of Ireland jammed into an area the size of Co. Meath. It's also a much older city, so the foxes there are nth-generation and will have adapted to city life.

Even then, fox attacks on humans are extraordinarily rare.

Foxes in Ireland present no danger to humans no matter what the trigger-happy lobby would tell you.

archer22 wrote: »
    Have you any more nonsense you would like to come out with?..how about man eating Rabbits or something.Folks beware of many posters on threads like this..they are the pro hunting lot trying to demonise their quarry with outrageous lies.
    Ah PETA
    Was wondering when your sad ass would turn up
    Murder any carrots or cabbage this week?
    Ask anyone that hunts
    We all know about the attacks but not all reports go to the papers
    Matter fact there was a thread on it a while back about the young lad bein attacked and a fella asked on hunting forum that the foxes had been shot after the attack
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056710062?page=1#post_79894866
    Any more PETA wanna chat pm me I've a few pics I know you would love

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maybe, it's the wrong place here.

But I was wondering, if one my rabbits was killed by a fox last week. No real sign of a fight, the poor thing was just lying there on her side, her neck was broken, blood coming out her ears and eyes.

Or do foxes usually taking away their prey?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Or do foxes usually taking away their prey?
    Usually, though when surrounded by a lot of prey (such as in a chicken pen), foxes are known to kill more than they need because their prey instinct kicks in.

A single kill left behind though seems odd unless the fox was really spooked by something.

Cats are more likely to kill for sport, though they're not well-known for attacking rabbits unless the cat is large and/or the rabbit is small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Ah PETA
    Was wondering when your sad ass would turn up
    Murder any carrots or cabbage this week?
    Ask anyone that hunts
    We all know about the attacks but not all reports go to the papers
    Matter fact there was a thread on it a while back about the young lad bein attacked and a fella asked on hunting forum that the foxes had been shot after the attack
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056710062?page=1#post_79894866
    Any more PETA wanna chat pm me I've a few pics I know you would love
    You come across as being seriously deranged..and thats not a joke.

Advertisement