Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shauna6989

Is the first 2 weeks training definitely in ballinasloe?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

shauna6989 wrote: »
    Is the first 2 weeks training definitely in ballinasloe?

Haven't heard anything yet!

Anyone else waiting to start training for ballyshannon centre? Occupational Health said they cleared me last week just waiting now to hear more info and a timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Starryface

djor88 wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything yet!

Anyone else waiting to start training for ballyshannon centre? Occupational Health said they cleared me last week just waiting now to hear more info and a timeline

As far as I know, they mix the candidates for ballyshannon and Dublin call centres.

Cheers! I accepted Ballyshannon, just seeing if any other Boards members are headed West! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Yes first 2 weeks is definitely in ballinasloe

• Advertisement

What hotel is everyone booking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 treadsoftly

Hi, delighted to find this thread. I presume expenses like hotel and travel to Ballinasloe are reimbursed via expense claim.

Hi, delighted to find this thread. I presume expenses like hotel and travel to Ballinasloe are reimbursed via expense claim.

No sorry. Expenses are on you unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

Shearwater Hotel do good rates for NAS employees.

Have to sleep in the car so :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Surprised no one else has said it but it is a bit much them expecting you to cover travel and accommodation expenses for training on the other side of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

The shearwater in ballinasloe does a great rate. You can drive to the training school in less than five mins. You won't get expenses for this. The days are pretty much what suits the schedule, so can vary from day to day, but 9-5 isn't a million miles away. 17 of us spent 4 weeks training in ballinasloe in feb. Some carpooled from Dublin each day, some lived close, some stayed. Its only a 1.5 hour drive to Dublin. Some people travel that distance everyday to work. 2 weeks training only means stayin mon - thurs in the hotel, so it's not the worst.

If we all book into the same hotel we can try get a cheaper rate? Whos in?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

When i stayed the rate was €30 per night B&B & dinner included. Very reasonable. St Bridgets Hospital do subsidised meals which will also be easy on the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Jaysus that's nuts about not getting expenses! Oh well!

Has anybody starting on the 26th got their contract yet?

Spoke to someone in the national recruitment service who said the contract would issue soon and that someone would be in touch from the ambulance service to discuss the training where and when etc.

2 weeks to go and still in the dark about everything.

Hi, I'm on for that. Be good to have the company too.

Prefer the Shearwater because of the car park.
    I am thinking of driving down on Sunday (the first week) rather than face an early morning drive on the first day on a route I don't know. Extra cost but worth it. Also train times arent great for returning and the cost of getting to and from Heustion and parking there or taxi are about equal to the petrol/tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

Enjoy the training folks. Had great craic being down there last year. Shearwater is great, stayed there too and only 2 mins to the college. Hotel rooms are immaculate and staff are great too. Enjoy it! ðŸ˜႒

If we all stay in the shearwater we can get a special rate if theres a big group id say plus itl be great getting to know our future colleagues :) havnt received any dates so a bit confused about that. Anyone know when we will get a definite date?

Does anyone the policy on facial piercings?

Medic475 wrote: »
    Enjoy the training folks. Had great craic being down there last year. Shearwater is great, stayed there too and only 2 mins to the college. Hotel rooms are immaculate and staff are great too. Enjoy it! ðŸ˜႒

What's the dress code for training (if any)?

• Advertisement

Dress code is smart casual. All the guys in our group wore slacks, shirt and shoes and that was maintained throughout except for halfway through our first week where we wore comfortable clothing (tracksuit, jeans etc) for manual handling and cpr.
    No idea about facial piercings but i would imagine they would not be allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Does anyone the policy on facial piercings?

The only visible piercings permitted under the dress code is one pair of stud ear rings in the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Bang Bang wrote: »
    The only visible piercings permitted under the dress code is one pair of stud ear rings in the ears.
    They also mention tattoos should be covered, however, there is certainly some leniency on that rule within control room. Although I'm sure they wouldn't welcome any pin cushions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

We had the uniform got before we started so not sure what they'd ask you to wear if you don't have the uniform. Sorry I can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 morrow_irl

I can't believe I never read to the end of this thread...the day before the contract arrives *slaps face*

Hi folks,
    The Shearwater quoted me €45 per night (dinner, b and b, includes brekkie the Friday mornings we check out) for Mon p.m. to Fri a.m. each week. That's the NAS rate.

I booked above, pity about the lack of sustenance allowance but no choice really if you don't fancy daily commute to/from Dublin.

Hi folks,
    The Shearwater quoted me €45 per night (dinner, b and b, includes brekkie the Friday mornings we check ou) for Mon p.m. to Fri a.m. each week. That's the NAS rate.

I booked above, pity about the lack of sustenance allowance but no choice really if you don't fancy daily commute to/from Dublin.

Jaysus that works out fairly expensive over a month, 720 for 4 weeks, anyone thought of renting a room or a house locally short term? Would be a lot cheaper! They don't give any allowance for travelling/living away? That's brutal

Is it 2 or 4 weeks in ballinasloe?

Its 2 weeks for the new incoming call takers. The past agency class did 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 morrow_irl

I heard tell two myself, then another week in St. Marys I think. But I haven't seen that on paper yet.

Advertisement