Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shauna6989

Is there anybody commuting to ballinasloe from dublin everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

shauna6989 wrote: »
    Is there anybody commuting to ballinasloe from dublin everyday?

That's a fairly long commute. Cheaper to rent a room in a hostel/B&B for the week.

I dont think thats an option for me. 45 a night i cant afford so ill have to commute id say

• Registered Users Posts: 9 morrow_irl

I dont think thats an option for me. 45 a night i cant afford so ill have to commute id say

If we had a schedule I could look at id consider commuting. But not knowing what time to be there at everyday makes it a bit of a gamble.

Looking for B&Bs now. 45 a night is a bit steep but im starting to consider it....or camping...or staying in the hotel and renting out camping equipment....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hostel it. Done that for a few weeks for training. It was grand.

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »
    Hostel it. Done that for a few weeks for training. It was grand.

Solid idea...

But the swimming pool....choices....

http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/+662-Hynes-Hostel---Auld-Shillelagh

I was wondering does anyone know if the classes start at 10 everyday? I emailed and called but no answer hmmm...hopefully its 10, the bus will get me to ballinasloe by half 9. Sooo worried lol

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I was wondering does anyone know if the classes start at 10 everyday? I emailed and called but no answer hmmm...hopefully its 10, the bus will get me to ballinasloe by half 9. Sooo worried lol

I would expect it to be Mon - Fri. 9 -5. If you can't make it then you can't make it, not much you can do. But be aware you probably be docked pay etc.

Is the training paid? Had no idea it was. Thanks for all your help tripp

• Advertisement

Is the training paid? Had no idea it was. Thanks for all your help tripp

Yes training is paid but you don't get your first pay slip till roughly 3 weeks after you start

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

Tripp wrote: »
    Yes training is paid but you don't get your first pay slip till roughly 3 weeks after you start

Correct. You get paid fortnightly. Make sure yee have your P45 sorted there not the quickest in payroll for helping you out. If theres any delay on your side you'll be hammered with emergency tax.

Parafox wrote: »
    Correct. You get paid fortnightly. Make sure yee have your P45 sorted there not the quickest in payroll for helping you out. If theres any delay on your side you'll be hammered with emergency tax.

Yeah we got hammered with emergency tax even though we sent our p45's heh :-). No big deal, we got it back eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 treadsoftly

Hi,
    does anyone know if we can claim the training expenses back against our tax i.e. as a necessary work expense?

Goodluck to the incoming Call Takers starting next week. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

So decided to stay in the shearwater tonight and tomorrow. It's nice! Went looking for the college. Think I found it! Is it on the right on the Roscommon road? With a pitch and putt course behind it? Bit confused! :)

awesome found a place in the village for about 20 quid a night, no pool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 treadsoftly

Titanucd wrote: »
    So decided to stay in the shearwater tonight and tomorrow. It's nice! Went looking for the college. Think I found it! Is it on the right on the Roscommon road? With a pitch and putt course behind it? Bit confused! :)

Hi, good to hear hotel is good.

I got direction for college, take first left after Kilmartins Ford dealership (onto Roscommon Rd). Continue on that road past the IDA estate on right. Take next turn on right - watch out for Parkmore Switchgear at the head of this road. Ahead of you on this avenue is a cream/beige building and thats the Ballinasloe Enterprise Centre where college is. Not sure if there is a one way traffic system? Aiming to get down early morning and stop for coffee. Philomena Begley is playing in Shearwater tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Titanucd wrote: »

Aim for here

The road is two way, the college syndicate rooms are on the first floor. Entrance is right in the middle of the wall with the pillars in front where I suspect there was some awning in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Starryface

Hi guys,

Does anybody know what time the class starts at in Ballinasloe? The busses/trains get in between 9.30-9.45.

It's really frustrating that we have to travel to Galway for training for a job that's in dublin, that could be held in ANY enterprise centre in Dublin. I just don't get it. :(

Can't afford hotel so commute is looking like my only option. Annoyed >:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Starryface wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Does anybody know what time the class starts at in Ballinasloe? The busses/trains get in between 9.30-9.45.

It's really frustrating that we have to travel to Galway for training for a job that's in dublin, that could be held in ANY enterprise centre in Dublin. I just don't get it. :(

Can't afford hotel so commute is looking like my only option. Annoyed >:(

The National Ambulance Service operates two colleges, one in Dublin and one in Ballinasloe. There are classes currently in the Dublin college so that leaves just Ballinasloe available. The NAS don't use just 'ANY' enterprise centre, they use their colleges with NAS tutors and lecturers.

The best of luck with your training and new career.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

The course starts at 0830/0900..... So train/bus in not an option....if you commuting from Dublin by the time you take fuel and commuting time it will cost you far more then staying down there....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Hi guys anybody know of any places to stay in Ballinasloe? Tried the shearwater but they can't accommodate me :(

Theres a bnb down here for 20 a night and theres local people who rent a room for 50 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Theres a bnb down here for 20 a night and theres local people who rent a room for 50 per week.

Cheers can you pm me the name of the b&b

Theres a list of people who rent rooms for 50 per week bnb. When you get there ask one of the paramedics. 50 a week is an amazing rate

Hows the training going guys? What's to expect?

Starryface wrote: »
    Hows the training going guys? What's to expect?

Its amazing. Great fun and call takers are getting to do a lot of hands on work... patient carrying ,lifting ,moving log rolls etc. Great tutors. Theyre all extremely experienced. Joe(paramedic) is absolutely hilarious! Id bring tracksuit bottoms and runners for min tue

Its amazing. Great fun and call takers are getting to do a lot of hands on work... patient carrying ,lifting ,moving log rolls etc. Great tutors. Theyre all extremely experienced. Joe(paramedic) is absolutely hilarious! Id bring tracksuit bottoms and runners for min tue

Oopsies i pressed post by accident lol :0 anyways haha... yeah... bring tracksuit bottoms mon tue n wed as a guy ripped his slacks doing the drills so be prepared for hands on work. Theres a great atmosphere and everyone is lovely. Manual handling or what we do instead is patient moving is pretty easy and good fun. Great well experienced paramedics running thr course. You guys will love it. Just dont be late as they are very strict on punctuality. Cant believe the first week is half done it flew in. Absolutely great craic!

• Advertisement

Oopsies i pressed post by accident lol :0 anyways haha... yeah... bring tracksuit bottoms mon tue n wed as a guy ripped his slacks doing the drills so be prepared for hands on work. Theres a great atmosphere and everyone is lovely. Manual handling or what we do instead is patient moving is pretty easy and good fun. Great well experienced paramedics running thr course. You guys will love it. Just dont be late as they are very strict on punctuality. Cant believe the first week is half done it flew in. Absolutely great craic!

Sounds brilliant!! Thanks for the info...keep us updated :)

Advertisement