Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

holy god, did anyone else have hassle formatting the email in ms word? it took me an age to get it right. Everytime i opened the document it spread one page over 3 pages on me.

got it sorted in the end thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Glad to get it done. Wasnt the simplest document to complete. I didnt encounter any formatting difficulties.

What I didnt like was assigning a % credit to your actions in the 3 questions. Otherwise I think I have a relatively decent application.

Roll on Feb 10th .....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 addparra

has any of you guys and girls gone to the control room to have a look at the system is run ?

ive been in a few times. going to try jead back in before interviews and take a few notes

its all ways nice to see how things are run, I was in there when there was just 3 people in it, & now there`s a lot . its nice to call in to local ambulance station and see from that end how the it system work all so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

Final hurdle time. I got an interview. Delighted! Has anyone else heard? Good luck guys!

Final hurdle time. I got an interview. Delighted! Has anyone else heard? Good luck guys!

You get a letter? I got a text to say letters were sent but recieved none, yet.

Are interviees offered on the basis of the application form? Or does everybody who completed the application form / competency questions get an interview?

I wonder how many people remain in contention?

No letter yet but the text made it quite clear. I know there is scope to turn people down on the basis of the application form. I don't know how much that's done practically tho. I know of at least 2 people who didn't make it past application form last year for the initial recruitment so it can happen.

i got a text aswell, rushed home to find no letter, it will be in the letterbox tomorrow i would imagine.

good look to you all ..........come on the post man lol

• Advertisement

Got the letter this morning. The interview is where things tend to go wrong for me so this is the part where the nerves are going to set in.

what the format of the interview ? how many people will be interviewing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ms_Shellshock

I am a very late joiner to this thread, but I have also made it to interview stage, I got the text yesterday and the interview pack this morning. The thing I would love to know most is how many people made it to interview and how many positions are available :S

Not to sound like I think I'm an authority on all this but:

Interview is structured interview format. So they'll ask you about examples when you showed the skills they're looking for (the skills you gave examples of on your application) they may ask about the examples given or ask for another example.
    They'll then ask if you've anything else in support of your application. That's your chance to do some serious bragging.

Last time there were 3 members of the interview board. 2 from the ambulance service, 1 was a civil servant from the recruitment service. I would expect the same this time around.

No idea how many made it to interview but the panel lasts for 12 months. Jobs are offered as and when the need arises do there's no way to say at the moment how many jobs are available.

time to buy a new suit, got my date and time for interview in the post. panic stations at the ready!

well dune , if it helps learn all you can about the service , the new control rooms , what the role of a controller is , and also the future of the services, and all so the new AMPDS system we use to grade the calls .........

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DigginAMole

I'm through to interview now myself, I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can find some reading material relating to the job? Not having any luck trying to find it myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I can't recommend it enough but try take a visit into the control room and see how it all works etc

as I said also call in to an ambulance base and any of the lads there will show you how the system works out on the road, and agan the AMPDS is big time know a little about it and the codes there very important .

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

addparra wrote: »
    and agan the AMPDS is big time know a little about it and the codes there very important .

The AMPDS is now so inaccurate that it has become a source of entertainment, unfortunately to the detriment of the patient.....

A major change in the training of call takers and some new dispatchers is now urgently required.

• Advertisement

Bang Bang wrote: »
    The AMPDS is now so inaccurate that it has become a source of entertainment, unfortunately to the detriment of the patient.....

A major change in the training of call takers and some new dispatchers is now urgently required.

Elaborate please

AMPDS is the system we use now regardless of what s going on, so it would be wise to know a little about it , we were asked at our AP interview so I am sure it will come up in this interview, and again calling in to the control room is a grate help, oooo and all so the TETRA system..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If any of you need reminding about why this is a great job to go for, take a look here.

Elaborate please

Numerous incidents of call takers diverting from the chief complaint and instead PRO-QA'ing the patients past medical history even though the past history has nothing to do with the presenting chief complaint. This results in the incorrect clinical level responding to those calls.

I'll call into the control centre in Townsend st. before the interview, never knew you could walk up and ask to take a look around! Learn something new everyday..

never knew you could walk up and ask to take a look around! Learn something new everyday..

well you cant really.......:rolleyes:

Well I'm sure you can see my confusion when there's people posting that you can?

Well I'm sure you can see my confusion when there's people posting that you can?

No you can't just call in, you will need to get consent from a manager or supervisor. I'll contact you by PM;)

I don't thinks any one said you can just walk in to the control room, your all old enough and wise enough to interpret the help full info from people who did the interviews and passed them all, right up to AP and control room in he past , any how good look to you all at interview. and remember its on a point system so every little helps.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Numerous incidents of call takers diverting from the chief complaint and instead PRO-QA'ing the patients past medical history even though the past history has nothing to do with the presenting chief complaint. This results in the incorrect clinical level responding to those calls.
    That's nothing to do with AMPDS , that's a training issue with the Call Taker.

Advertisement