Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road work Blanch South/North roundabout over N3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

January wrote: »
    Not completely related, but they have Mulhuddart bridge closed this morning for works and the traffic is atrocious! Totally backed up in both directions on the Old Navan Road.

According to AA Roadwatch, the road's going to be closed until next Friday while they dismantle that crane that's been gathering dust there for the past few years.

Nothing about it on Fingal co co's website though

EDIT - just walked past. Most of the crane is already gone so I doubt the Friday 3 May date for reopening the road is accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I hope so, the traffic through the village has been abysmal all day. I pity the people who actually live along that stretch. Hoping all is back to normal by at least Tuesday.

I hope so, the traffic through the village has been abysmal all day. I pity the people who actually live along that stretch. Hoping all is back to normal by at least Tuesday.

All done and dusted now and road open again. They were all done by about 8. I don't now where AA Roadwatch were getting their shut until 3 May from.

All done and dusted now and road open again. They were all done by about 8. I don't now where AA Roadwatch were getting their shut until 3 May from.

There was a notice in last weeks Blanch Gazette from Fingal Co. Co. saying it could be close until next Friday weather permitting. Thank god it's open again.

There was a notice in last weeks Blanch Gazette from Fingal Co. Co. saying it could be close until next Friday weather permitting. Thank god it's open again.

I suppose they had to allow for delays if there were high winds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I see that crane everyday, and have done for years. I'm sure the residents are happy with the removal of one hell of a poxy eyesore. Now, where did it go?

A little birdy tells me it's bound for the dormant site on the castleknock road where that "exclusive development" was advertised many moons ago but has been boarded up since ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Taking the roundabout out of Blakestown Way (next to Briarwood Stores/Scalliwags creche) and replacing it with traffic lights is the main reason for this on a daily basis. Drives me absolutely bonkers. Was never needed there. TAILBACKS TAILBACKS TAILBACKS!!! In all directions. Traffic used to flow perfectly up through Huntstown and from Mulhuddart. Now it's just a chore.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Taking the roundabout out of Blakestown Way (next to Briarwood Stores/Scalliwags creche) and replacing it with traffic lights is the main reason for this on a daily basis. Drives me absolutely bonkers. Was never needed there. TAILBACKS TAILBACKS TAILBACKS!!! In all directions. Traffic used to flow perfectly up through Huntstown and from Mulhuddart. Now it's just a chore.

This tailback was from the junction with Damastown, right the way back to the Topaz and in the other direction from the centre too, absolute gridlock, nobody was moving for a good while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I took the eastbound slip road off the N3 Blanch bypass at this junction this evening and noticed that they are widening the old Navan road that the slip road meets at a T-junction.

IMO the current layout is VERY dangerous - because when you turn right onto the old Navan Rd you might think you were on a short section of dualler and mistake the oncoming lane for a citybound lane.:eek::(

Anyone else think the current layout there is a problem?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I took the eastbound slip road off the N3 Blanch bypass at this junction this evening and noticed that they are widening the old Navan road that the slip road meets at a T-junction.

IMO the current layout is VERY dangerous - because when you turn right onto the old Navan Rd you might think you were on a short section of dualler and mistake the oncoming lane for a citybound lane.:eek::(

They are changing the layout a lot recently. Would have been better if they just closed the roads in the area for a month or so while some of the major work was taking place.

The last time is used it, I got completely confused on the roundabout, because it was completely changed from the last time I used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Yeh most of it is dangerous now , but such a major road/s is impossible to close .

The worse bits are the roundabout and moving exits and different road levels coming on and off it .

The sliproad seems to be less busy and easier to use already .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

JupiterKid wrote: »

This junction is be signalized, ie traffic light controlled.

They are changing the layout a lot recently. Would have been better if they just closed the roads in the area for a month or so while some of the major work was taking place.

Not possible.
    The last time is used it, I got completely confused on the roundabout, because it was completely changed from the last time I used it.

Both roundabouts north and south of the bridge continue to function as roundabouts. The layouts have not changed noticeably.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Not possible.

Both roundabouts north and south of the bridge continue to function as roundabouts. The layouts have not changed noticeably.

They have not changed noticeably ? How often have you drove on the road?

One day you come off at one point and then the next/later that day its further over, even herself drove up the other night and almost couldn't find the exit off the roundabout.

Its not helped by cones and signs, there needs to be different colored cones or even exit sign when they move it.

Well considering it's a roundabout, with 4 roads leading in/out of it, I'd say it's reasonable to say the layout hasn't changed much.

Enough to cause confusion and likely a tip from someone suddenly taking the exit or stopping.

Different colored cones or exit signs or something would help.

Well, the current temporary set up at the junction of the offslip from the N3 on the Mulhuddart end of the old Navan road is dangerous IMO.

Very confusing layout and not clearly marked at all.

I also have to say that work on this junction upgrade is also taking a very long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

They have changed it again from how it was 5 days ago, was down that way in the last hour and it's messy and not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Its very dangerous alright - was coming eastwards on N3 to get to Blanch - and it looks like a dual road with no sinage to say its two way at the top as you approach the bridge.
    its signaled

really hope they get this right - looks like just one lane for leaving the shopping center to city- there is a very long tailback November/December/Jan from the shops at peak times - and also up to 9pm each morning - hope they dont ruin it completely with traffic lights like they did the next bridge(R843)....

It looks like there might be a circular loop road the city bound traffic can take without going through two sets of traffic lights - that correct?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Final layout

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Files/Roads/MulhuddartJunctionUpgrade.pdf

Just looking at it for the first time in detail, its going to be a mess. There is no stacking capacity for the levels of Saturday peak traffic coming off the N3 eastbound onto the off ramp and up to the new traffic lights. If the traffic is going to the Centre, it has to turn right, reach another set of lights and turn right again before crossing the overbridge to the back the retail park. The distance between these junctions is too close to allow for some of the massive peak traffic you see at weekends and especially pre-Christmas. Also, the off-ramp is going to be a good bit shorter than it is even now, so reducing queueing space. Even if you gave that route all the green light time you would back up the other approaches and cause a jam the other way. They should have made it all one free flow set-up, not a half way house.

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Its very dangerous alright - was coming eastwards on N3 to get to Blanch - and it looks like a dual road with no sinage to say its two way at the top as you approach the bridge.

That is exactly what caught me - there will be accidents there if there already haven't been. :( Looking at the final layout I am not impressed. I know full freeflow isn't an option here but it could still have been done so, so much better. The second bridge is pretty much wasted IMO. The best and most helpful feature is the loop slip from the Blanchardstown centre direction to the N3 east/city bound.

This junction will have to be re-done again at some stage in the future.

This scheme is due for completion within the next few months. Hopefully all the pessimists on here are pleasantly surprised!

i cant wait for it to finish , anything has to be better than that roundabout , will they or wont they indicate and then lets just pull out in front of you and make you slam on .

Oh and there infamous lets skip up the bus lane and bully our way in , hopefully thats sorted .

jeffk wrote: »
    i cant wait for it to finish , anything has to be better than that roundabout , will they or wont they indicate and then lets just pull out in front of you and make you slam on .

Oh and there infamous lets skip up the bus lane and bully our way in , hopefully thats sorted .
    Have to say I'm guilty of that but only on Sunday or out of hours.

However, the current layout, the bus lane sign RUS 028 or RUS 029 isn't there, and therefore it's not technically a bus lane (heading from Clonsilla direction to Mulhuddart, after roundabout at centre) ;).

Have to say I'm guilty of that but only on Sunday or out of hours.

However, the current layout, the bus lane sign RUS 028 or RUS 029 isn't there, and therefore it's not technically a bus lane (heading from Clonsilla firection to Mulhuddart, after roundabout at centre) ;).

Tut tut ;)

I meant from say Corduff towards Clonsilla, think there is a lane for left to the center now.

jeffk wrote: »
    Tut tut ;)

I meant from say Corduff towards Clonsilla, think there is a lane for left to the center now.
    Oh I hated feckers that done that. I stopped many joining into traffic. Really annoying when you see someone letting them in!

Oh I hated feckers that done that. I stopped many joining into traffic. Really annoying when you see someone letting them in!

I suppose when someone is determined and doesn't care about their car , its damage your car or lose a car length.

I dont even bother using it after seven when you can , some people dive into it as if they are shaving minutes off their journey by using the bus lane.

It always amazes me why the bus lane is empty on a Sunday and the other lane backed up. Do people not read the signs? If both lanes were filled and people merged in turn you wouldn't get the backlog at the Corduff traffic lights, or it would be lessened anyway.

It always amazes me why the bus lane is empty on a Sunday and the other lane backed up. Do people not read the signs? If both lanes were filled and people merged in turn you wouldn't get the backlog at the Corduff traffic lights, or it would be lessened anyway.

IF people done that there wouldnt be as much issues at the slip road off the N3 at Mulhuddart. Many a morning coming back from shopping in Clonee I sit and watch cars keep going without letting anyone out. Yes I know they all cant let people out , but most can , some even end up half in the box junction to make sure they didn't let anyone out.

I going to X no one else is on the road mentality/lack of manners. Id let one out and go , I hate those that bully their way out or try to sneak out with the car you let out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Apologies for jumping into this thread with a question , but does anyone know of roadworks going on at night further up in Mulhuddart , past the village and near the two newish blocks of apts, and Mulhuddart wood?
    It's just started up again,just now It was unbearably loud to even sit in the back garden at 10pm and although it's quietened down a bit, it's still fairly audible. It woke me a few times last night, and my son who sleeps at the other side of the house heard it also, and he's a very sound sleeper!
    It sounds like roadworks. Last night for a while it sounded like a train; which I know is impossible in reality having lived here 15 years, right now there's beeping and the noise of some sort of machinery.
    Anyone any ideas of what's going on, or am I losing the plot, roadworks at 3am?

Advertisement