Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road work Blanch South/North roundabout over N3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Used it again down to the hospital and back, two lanes going towards Corduff merging into one,same for N3 sliproad with a filter lane and then someone on the M50 free flow lane trying to turn out of the lane.

Maybe a great system on paper or in another country,but all these double lanes will only lead to its my lane your not getting into it and people as good as coming to a stop when they run out of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

jeffk wrote: »
    ...The minute I seen they had a left/right land and a right only lane I knew there would be trouble.

I was in the right only lane like most of the other cars, then a few others used the left/right lane, as soon as I came out onto the road I put on my left indicator to filter towards Corduff. Two cars went past and wouldn’t let me in, the second one I ended up behind at the red light...

why didn't you use the left/right in the first place?
    i used the interchange this morning for the first time, too.
    heading towards ballycoolin it instantly seem logical to use the the left/right.

having said that, the whole interchange is a total mess.
    millions spend and worse than ever before.

it was best 5-6 years ago without the bus lanes (i'm usually in favor of bus lanes but your hardly ever see buses in that road, especially in the evening after school has finished).

well, too late now :o

d15ude wrote: »
    why didn't you use the left/right in the first place?
    i used the interchange this morning for the first time, too.
    heading towards ballycoolin it instantly seem logical to use the the left/right.

having said that, the whole interchange is a total mess.
    millions spend and worse than ever before.

it was best 5-6 years ago without the bus lanes (i'm usually in favor of bus lanes but your hardly ever see buses in that road, especially in the evening after school has finished).

well, too late now :o

I was turning right so I took it I used the right only lane and the left/right lane was for mostly left or if the traffic was to bad in the right lane ala a roundabout lane usage.
    Also first time using it, so wasn’t sure of lane layout and also if all of it was open and operational.

The bigger issue was two fellow drives attitude of not letting me in, one so he could be a car closer to the red light. A left and right only lane set up would be the best solution to avoid this or a pdf or something on the fingal site showing people the new layout.

Maybe the layout isn’t the best, but the lights are a definite improvement when you consider most drivers attitude to roundabouts indicators etc

I agree with the bus lanes, most of the time it was a personal overtaking lane or what buses did appear didn’t use them that much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This so-called "improvement" of the junction is turning into a right mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I reckon there'll be a bit of trial and error with the timings and sequencing of the lights so there'll probably be some teething problems but hopefully in a week or so they'll have it up and running smoothly.

• Advertisement

Hopefully all teething problems that will be ironed out in time , thank god its not around xmas time

im sure when they got rid of the old cross road and put in the roundabout it had some issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Been there today first time and i've managed to see two major flaws !!

1st.Coming from Navan / N3 and turning left to go towards Shopping Centre,as it was the older way,it was a left lane only to go towards Mulhuddart Village,dedicated only and drivers for Shopping Ctr used / queued on the right lane.Tight space ,but very handy is you wanted to turn Left.
    Now ,with the two Right turn lanes for SC,both will be used and then,and for turn Left,you have to wait on to main traffic for Right turn to SC. Then, once on the main road to go towards the SC via the older round-about...mayhem,who gets first on the proper lane,bus lane,turn right,left...it's gonna be a place for testing your engines and nerves !!!

2nd. Coming from ITB road,first set of traffic goes ok but if you go right,exit for N3/M3/Clonee,first set of traffic goes green BUT second set goes RED and it creates a huge queue of cars waiting to turn/exit Right ! Kind of silly to put only one very very short lane for exit to main road and two lanes for going straight towards SC !!Unless they sync the two traffic lights green>green?yellow/red.yelow/red it gonna be a huge long waiting lane and for other traffic coming from Mulhuddart village!

Apart of that, nice change, very quick execution, minimum disruption and well managed, no mess, clean and lots of green spaces restored !
    It looks like a good 2013' engineering work !
    Fair play and many thanks to all involved in the work !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I reckon there'll be a bit of trial and error with the timings and sequencing of the lights so there'll probably be some teething problems but hopefully in a week or so they'll have it up and running smoothly.
    It took almost 6 months to fix the timings at the new junction on Diswellstown Road, despite many people contacting FCC about the traffic light timings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Came off the N3 exit at the centre this afternoon around 3, traffic was backed up from the lights to the N3 itself, not a good start, particularly as you then have people pulling off and driving through the centre itself to avoid the junction ruining any sort of traffic management the new junction was intended for.

I only noticed it this morning but it has probably been there for a while but at least they have a traffic camera at the junction so, in theory anyway, they can monitor queues etc. from HQ and alter the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Turning right from Mulhuddart towards Whitestown/the Centre roundabout today and the lights were red over the bridge so caused a tailback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

January wrote: »
    Turning right from Mulhuddart towards Whitestown/the Centre roundabout today and the lights were red over the bridge so caused a tailback.
    Nothing new there so. Has been a pox of a junction for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So i used this today for the first time.

Came from NEXT down past Westpoint and through the roundabout. Straight through the lights and down Mulhuddart at 5pm on a Thursday it took me no more than 120 Seconds to get from Next to the bridge in Mulhuddart.

But you missed the main junction going that way, the real issues I see are the other side of the N3 at the exit ramp for the N3 itself, you avoid that leaving the centre the way you did. It's the way I've started seeing people use when leaving the N3 to avoid the junction at the top of the exit now.

To me it's like they just copied and pasted for the most part the miserable junction a bit further down near the Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But you missed the main junction going that way, the real issues I see are the other side of the N3 at the exit ramp for the N3 itself, you avoid that leaving the centre the way you did. It's the way I've started seeing people use when leaving the N3 to avoid the junction at the top of the exit now.

To me it's like they just copied and pasted for the most part the miserable junction a bit further down near the Garda station.

I'll be going that way later today and have a look.

From what I did use though was VERY streamlined for me. Couldn't believe how quickly I was through it !!

Yeah, it's pretty quick that way if you get the lights, I left the centre that way just before rush hour to head down towards the college and arrived at the filter light turned green so go right up there. But at the same time the slip was right down to the N3 heading towards the junction, I wasn't there long enough to see how many cars get through on the green light as I was going into the centre but traffic was only every down to the N3 during the worse of the rush hour but even then it slowly rolled up to the then roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I haven't used this yet as i usually come off the N3 at the first shopping centre exit.
    Might have a look in the morning before traffic gets heavy.
    I hope its not as bad as the exit off the N3 at the travel lodge for the M50 south bound.
    Them lights go green but the main set do be red and no one can get out of its rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Just used this new junction tonight.
    Traffic was quiet but i don't know why they never put a left filter lane at the exit to the shopping centre/ITB coming from clonee direction.

Also coming from the corfuff direction to head onto the N3 for Cavan i was stopped at the lights. It went green for straight but never changed for turning right untill it went through the other sets again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Used it twice now in heavy traffic - and coming from Blanchardstown center, and over the flyover going towards town - is horrible when busy.

The bus-lane fills up with taxis and due to a badly placed Arrow just before the bus-lane starts (arrow suggests you can join left lane, which then turns into a buslane immediately), trucks and cars following the arrow, fill the 10 meter long bus-land also - and those in the correct (middle - red arrows) lane cannot cross over the left bus-lane(purple arrows) to get to the N3.

272919.jpg
    Sorry the messy photo - Me in Red car - Taxis, cars and trucks (purple) were filling the bus-lane.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah that left lane that turns into a bus lane is just going to be used by people going towards town. It doesn't make sense not to use it, particularly when it's busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What's up with that bus lane? There's no point in it... doesn't even look like you'd fit one bus in it.

Used it for first time today haeding towards the college. Most people just stayed in the left/bus lane. Most of them headed onto the N3 or left after N3 turnon.

If a Guard decides to setup there, will either catch a lot of people or cause a mess with people trying to get from right lane to head down onto the N3.

Putting that bus lane there was one of the most stupidest decisions the road architect has even made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

That bit of bus lane is pointless. If you stay in the correct lane then you have no chance of getting onto the N3 inbound if its busy with taxis etc. Even when its clear, you are nearly over the constant white line by the time you have pulled over to it and same even if you are in the bus lane.
    Its going to be messy at xmas.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Its going to be messy at xmas.
    No junction setup, no matter how elaborate, would ever facilitate the traffic which will hit that centre at Xmas time.

Agreed on the mini bus lane. It was a poorly thought out marking which will hopefully have a short life span.

Another bizarre choice I noticed, the new slip road lane outside the hotel and Captain Americas that will exit the centre which is currently entry only looks like it's going to be a bus lane only to exit again so it won't alleviate any of the current traffic problems.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Another bizarre choice I noticed, the new slip road lane outside the hotel and Captain Americas that will exit the centre which is currently entry only looks like it's going to be a bus lane only to exit again so it won't alleviate any of the current traffic problems.

The existing entrance to the centre isn't going to change. That new bus lane out will not affect it.

That's my point. Had it been for all traffic it would make a big difference in traffic management.

Fun times this morning.

I was going left towards the shops/turn off coming from Corduff,the on straight lane was backed right up, so I ended up using the bus lane.

Another car done the same and then we both had to slam on as a Redhead International courier truck decided to pull out in front of us both and do the same.

Either scrap the bus lane or from a certain point let it double us as a longer filter lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

The bus lane markings on the shopping centre side of the bridge has been burnt off.

• Advertisement

pclive wrote: »
    The bus lane markings on the shopping centre side of the bridge has been burnt off.
    dodzy wrote: »
    No junction setup, no matter how elaborate, would ever facilitate the traffic which will hit that centre at Xmas time.

Agreed on the mini bus lane. It was a poorly thought out marking which will hopefully have a short life span.

Now that was quick! The power of Boards.ie strikes again:cool:

Advertisement