Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax query on House leasing

• 09-10-2012 7:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Hi all - looking for some advice please!

Am currently considering leasing my house to the county council under this scheme: http://www.dublincity.ie/Housing/Home/Pages/LongTermLeasingInitiative.aspx

I need to move closer to work, so while I will be long-term leasing my current primary residence, I will then be renting somewhere closer to work.

I have all the paperwork in order and the council have offered me a 20 year lease. I have no ties to where the house is, so moving ain't a problem for me. (Selling the house isn't an option at present, due to the prices).

I've done a lot of reading on Revenue.ie and am more confused than I was before I started!

The council have told me that cause the lease would be for 20 years, I would not be liable for PTRB or NPPR charges but i am unsure about the taxation on the rental income.

As I am renting out my primary residence, and not purchasing a second property, can I earn up to €10k before it gets taxed?

Or will i pay tax on all rental income minus deductions?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement