Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An extra one or two days during the week for an extra day at the weekend

• 09-10-2012 8:39am

If the current week system was changed, would ya be happy to work more to have a longer weekend?

Completely hypothetical situation where you would have the same amount of money to spend per day off..

Willing to.. 41 votes

Change nothing
    0% 0 votes
    Work two days more
    80% 33 votes
    Work one day more
    19% 8 votes

Comments

I'd work the extra day btw.. 6 days a week is fine to work. Only problem being the lack of a 2 day weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I'm not sure I understand the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

WTF are you talking about?

If there was a 9/10 day week instead of a 7 day week.. Would you be happy to work the extra day or two in return for an extra day off.

Hardly rocket science.

I'm still confused tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I know a few people working abroad and they work 7 days in a row and 7 days off. Thats something i's like to try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Not matching the working week to the Georgian calendar week?

Just get a job working a continental 5 cycle/4 week shift.

All 12hr shifts;
    In monday day, tuesday day, wednesday night, thursday night,
    off till the following wednesday day, thursday day, friday day.
    Off till the following friday night, saturday night, sunday night,
    Off till the following saturday day, sunday day, monday night, tuesday night,

Rinse and repeat. Always repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

OP basically asking if we'd work Saturdays to get Monday off?

I think the OP is asking would you be happy with a 9 day week if you had to work 6 of those but had 3 consecutive days off.

Ghandee wrote: »

What would be the point to that ?
    I work six days and get four off.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    I took it that he meant putting extra days in the week. Ie; monday comes around every 10 days. Work an extra two days to get a three day weekend..

But seeing as how thats not happening in this budget, my example above is his next option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Are you guys serious? Confused by this?

And OP yeah I definitely would, once the week gets going you barely notice the days go by but the weekend just goes so fast and is normally wasted by need for sleep etc. so another day would be a great bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Well I'm in college and I'd rather have lectures all day every day instead of one here and one there, I've about 35 hours a week usually. If they pushed the hours together into 10 hour days I'd get a day and a half extra each week, if they did this for the whole year I'd have 36 free working days, if they did this for the four years I've left in college, and fill that free day and a half with stuff, I'd have the four years done in three years, then an extra year for making money.

That's gone a bit off topic :pac: but yes I'd rather work an extra day or two for a three-day weekend every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I would love to have a job that you work from:
    Sept - December with a week off in late October and 2 weeks of at christmas.
    Work from January - Easter when you wqould have another 2 weeks off.
    Work form after Easter - June when you would have June, July and August off as well.
    Your day would start around 9 and finish at 4.
    You would also get days off for bank holidays, holy days and election days.
    I would start at a measly 22,000 PA if necessary.

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Are you guys serious? Confused by this?

And OP yeah I definitely would, once the week gets going you barely notice the days go by but the weekend just goes so fast and is normally wasted by need for sleep etc. so another day would be a great bonus.
    Seeing as how its two days off per five days worked at the minute, in the op universe, you'd have to do 7 and 1/2 days work just to get your one extra day in the weekend.

How much of that would be lost to sleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What the op is talking about is working more hours during the week for a longer weekend,might be a bit easier than abandoning the calender.

I don't think I could hack a six day week, long days would suit me much better. Some folk where I work do three 12 hour days and have four days off each week - that, I would love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I do up to 50 hrs a week as it is. 12 hour shifts with a mix of days, weekends, and nights.

So no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I'd love to work a system where the week is actually 15 days long.
    10 days work an 5 days off, you could plan more breaks and get away for longer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Work form after Easter - June when you would have June, July and August off as well.

That would be fine......just so long as you didn't have to deal with a whole room full of screaming, misbehaving, abusive brats of equally screaming and abusive parents. Because you know then I'd want at least 50,000 to even consider it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd be happy to work 10 hour days to get an extra day off on the weekend.

Once you're out of the bed, you're grand and it's not like I do much in the evenings anyway.

spoofilyj wrote: »
    I'd love to work a system where the week is actually 15 days long.
    10 days work an 5 days off, you could plan more breaks and get away for longer...

Your days would be shorter or else lob a couple of months off the end of the year,your days off would literally fly by.

That would be fine......just so long as you didn't have to deal with a whole room full of screaming, misbehaving, abusive brats of equally screaming and abusive parents. Because you know then I'd want at least 50,000 to even consider it
    On top of all that youd have the 20-30 hrs/week unpaid just preparing for your paid work..'

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

This really doesnt make any sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think the OP is asking would you be happy with a 9 day week if you had to work 6 of those but had 3 consecutive days off.
    3 days off in 9 days works out at 4 off in 12, right? I get 4 off in 14 now so I wouldn't really be getting all that much out of this. Unless my maths is wrong. It's early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Did somebody say they were giving away cake in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think 6 days on, 3 days off is excessive. 3 on, 1 off, 3 on, 2 off would be awesome IMO.

Even if we were to work 6 days instead of 5, the french would still only want 35 hours per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd like to see every Monday being a bank holiday.

Banks holidays seem to be the only days I actually chill out and relax.

Squ wrote: »
    On top of all that youd have the 20-30 hrs/week unpaid just preparing for your paid work..'

No thanks.

No one believes that.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »

No thanks.

No one believes that.
    Depends on what your job is, and who you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just talk with your boss.

Where I work people have different contracts to suit themselves. In my team there are some that work half days every day, some that have a 4 day week, some that have a 3 day week and 1 guy has every second Friday off.

I like that last one best as you get a long weekend every second week. I think if you had a 3 day weekend every week you would not appreciate it as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

No thanks.

That's bollocks. You are paid a salary to do a job. If something extra comes up you just do it as it's part of what you are being paid for it. I read an article the other day where unions think their teachers should get paid extra for having to deal with a new Junior Cert curriculum. WTF, seriously WTF :confused: :eek: They are teachers, why can't they just do their f'ing job.

In my job there are new technologies and methodologies being constantly released and updated. I am constantly updating and keeping my skills fresh in (shock, horror) my own time. If I waited around to be paid to look at these then I would quickly find myself out of a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

No need to change any calender, just get a shift job. My last 'real' job worked three 12 hour days, Monday to Wednesday. So I had a four day weekend every week. But you really earned the time off. They really worked you hard when you were in.

Before that I worked a shift where you had every weekend off and six days in a row every second week.

There are any number of ways it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Did somebody say they were giving away cake in here?

Yeah but its only coffee cake

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rusty_Mectum

Teacher =]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

If there was a 9/10 day week instead of a 7 day week.. Would you be happy to work the extra day or two in return for an extra day off.

Hardly rocket science.

So it'd be something like

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Midnersday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Prepday

Saturday
    Bedday
    Sunday

Shít, I'd still have the Monday Morning Blues though no matter how long the weekend unless we switch Monday with Midnersday??

jester77 wrote: »

No thanks.

That's bollocks. You are paid a salary to do a job. If something extra comes up you just do it as it's part of what you are being paid for it. I read an article the other day where unions think their teachers should get paid extra for having to deal with a new Junior Cert curriculum. WTF, seriously WTF :confused: :eek: They are teachers, why can't they just do their f'ing job.

In my job there are new technologies and methodologies being constantly released and updated. I am constantly updating and keeping my skills fresh in (shock, horror) my own time. If I waited around to be paid to look at these then I would quickly find myself out of a job.
    Settle down love, i never said they should get paid for it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

a 10 day week????

do we have to decimalise EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!1

those feckin Chermans are to blame

its political correctness gone mad I tells ya

rabble rabble

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there is also the 28 hour day - 6 days a week

https://xkcd.com/320/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

My employer called to say if I didn’t go in on Friday, not to bother going in on Monday. Needless to say I was delighted with this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Coming from a family of teachers that 20-30 hr figure is indeed bollocks.

Coming from a family of teachers that 20-30 hr figure is indeed bollocks.
    With diction like that, i hope your not one of them.

But needless to say (though maybe not) each can only speak for their own.

With diction like that, i hope your not one of them.

But needless to say (though maybe not) each can only speak for their own.

The bold bit is ironic.

No teacher spends 20/30 hours a week outside of the classroom preparing. Simply not true.

The bold bit is ironic.
    The shame :(

The shame :(

Who is "the shame"? Terrible diction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They tried it in France. It didn't work.

And OP, there's a huge difference between working an extra day and and working two extra days.
    [latex]\frac{3}{9} > \frac{3}{10} > \frac{2}{7}[/latex]
    But working 6 or 7 days in a row is very tough, which is what makes it such a difficult sell. Maybe if the extra day was midweek

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

A 5 day work week means there are 260 work days and 104 weekend days per year ignoring bank holidays and holidays

A 9 day work week (work 6, off 3) would mean there would be 243 work days and 122 "weekend" days per year ignoring bank holidays and holidays

A 10 day work week (work 7, off 3) would mean there would be 292 work days and 73 "weekend" days per year ignoring bank holidays and holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think honestly we arrived at the 40 hour, 5 day working week simply because its the best system for people to work under. Longer hours are draining, depressing and become a serious slog to wake up to each day. With a week longer than 5 days the same sort of fatigue kicks in, one day blending into another. Night shifts are apparently hard on the body, but I haven't done them

On the flipside, with short 4 day weeks it becomes possible just to cruise through the week, if your outside work for such a substantial amount of time you feel that bit less concerned about the consequences of not getting things done. That being said, I wouldnt say no to like a 35 hour 4 day week !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What do you propse we call these two extra days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So the OP wants to change the whole calendar then? Will it make me younger or older?

• Advertisement
Advertisement