Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An extra one or two days during the week for an extra day at the weekend

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I already work seven days a week, I couldn't hack ten days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jester77 wrote: »
    That's bollocks. You are paid a salary to do a job. If something extra comes up you just do it as it's part of what you are being paid for it. I read an article the other day where unions think their teachers should get paid extra for having to deal with a new Junior Cert curriculum. WTF, seriously WTF :confused: :eek: They are teachers, why can't they just do their f'ing job.

In my job there are new technologies and methodologies being constantly released and updated. I am constantly updating and keeping my skills fresh in (shock, horror) my own time. If I waited around to be paid to look at these then I would quickly find myself out of a job.

Sounds like someone didnt get the special IPv6 bonus.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

imitation wrote: »
    I think honestly we arrived at the 40 hour, 5 day working week simply because its the best system for people to work under. Longer hours are draining, depressing and become a serious slog to wake up to each day. With a week longer than 5 days the same sort of fatigue kicks in, one day blending into another. Night shifts are apparently hard on the body, but I haven't done them

Nah I would imagine we arrived at the 9-5 type 'office hours' due to the lack of electricity when modern business practices were being built I would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thud wrote: »
    A 5 day work week means there are 260 work days and 104 weekend days per year ignoring bank holidays and holidays

A 9 day work week (work 6, off 3) would mean there would be 243 work days and 122 "weekend" days per year ignoring bank holidays and holidays

A 10 day work week (work 7, off 3) would mean there would be 292 work days and 73 "weekend" days per year ignoring bank holidays and holidays
    Your last calculation is wrong. A 10 day work week would mean 255 work days and 109 weekend days per year. Overall, 9- and 10-day working weeks work out better. It's the 6 and 7 day straight working weeks that make it a pain

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where To wrote: »
    I already work seven days a week, I couldn't hack ten days.
    hack :pac:

that would be very taxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I rather work 40-48 hrs in 4 days and have 3 days a week off. Or 3 days at 13-14 hrs each and have 4 days off. So much more free time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I would love to have a job that you work from:
    Sept - December with a week off in late October and 2 weeks of at christmas.
    Work from January - Easter when you wqould have another 2 weeks off.
    Work form after Easter - June when you would have June, July and August off as well.
    Your day would start around 9 and finish at 4.
    You would also get days off for bank holidays, holy days and election days.
    I would start at a measly 22,000 PA if necessary.

You mustn't be smart enough to become a teacher? Or have you starting training yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

The bold bit is ironic.

No teacher spends 20/30 hours a week outside of the classroom preparing. Simply not true.
    I agree. I'm a teacher and my whole family are teachers and in my experience, very few teachers would regularly spend 20-30 hours preparation time outside of the classroom.

My mother on the other hand is a primary school teacher across the border and boy does she put in a serious amount of hours. Leaves the house at 8.15 (15 min drive), comes home around 6.15 EVERY DAY! Then she spends at least two to three hours on notes, lesson plans, cutting shapes and all sorts of other prep work. She does similar at weekends.

She teaches infants so the kids have left around 2.00-2.30. 20-30 hours outside class time would be a conservative estimate! Does she complain? Not a bit, she just gets on with it. Alot less holidays aswell in comparison with down south. I'd love to see some of the lazy, moaning f*ckers we have teaching down here spend a year in her shoes.

Used to work in retail where I had Sunday and another moving day off.

Monday first week, Tuesday second week etc.

It meant that every six weeks you got a three day weekend - your day off for week six was Saturday, your day off for the next week was on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Il Trap wrote: »
    I agree. I'm a teacher and my whole family are teachers and in my experience, very few teachers would regularly spend 20-30 hours preparation time outside of the classroom.

My mother on the other hand is a primary school teacher across the border and boy does she put in a serious amount of hours. Leaves the house at 8.15 (15 min drive), comes home around 6.15 EVERY DAY! Then she spends at least two to three hours on notes, lesson plans, cutting shapes and all sorts of other prep work. She does similar at weekends.

She teaches infants so the kids have left around 2.00-2.30. 20-30 hours outside class time would be a conservative estimate! Does she complain? Not a bit, she just gets on with it. Alot less holidays aswell in comparison with down south. I'd love to see some of the lazy, moaning f*ckers we have teaching down here spend a year in her shoes.

What sort of teacher are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Il Trap wrote: »

So she spends 3.5 hours after class prepping and then 2-3 hours at home prepping? Is that what yr saying?

Fr primary school kids, somehow, I doubt it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Plazaman wrote: »
    So it'd be something like

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Midnersday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Prepday

Saturday
    Bedday
    Sunday

Shít, I'd still have the Monday Morning Blues though no matter how long the weekend unless we switch Monday with Midnersday??

If we're making up new days of the week, I call Mulksday or Stuesday for the seventh day, rather than Prepday.(nothing wrong with Prepday though)

People will be going around saying thanks god it's Mulksday/Stuesday.

I will feel quite proud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

If there was a 9/10 day week instead of a 7 day week.. Would you be happy to work the extra day or two in return for an extra day off.

Hardly rocket science.

A week lasting nine tenths of a day??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I think the OP needs a 4 day weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

So she spends 3.5 hours after class prepping and then 2-3 hours at home prepping? Is that what yr saying?

Fr primary school kids, somehow, I doubt it.
    Prep, adminstration, notes, whatever (I'll not pretend to be very clued-in about the ins and outs of what is accomplished during this time but it is all school-related). Why would I make that up? I have no agenda. I see my mother putting in significant non-classroom time that, as far as I can see, isn't the case with teachers down south. I myself never had to do this amount of non-classroom work when I taught on a full timetable.

I'm a secondary and third level teacher (both part-time at the moment), to answer a poster above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

In our place its basically 4 days on 4 days off and 12 hour shifts.
    Its so good as while you might have to work a weekend for four weeks in a row, you also have 4 lovely days off when everyone else has 2!
    Its great coming home on a Monday Morning and seeing everyone else trudge into work knowing that you have the next 4 days off!
    Also really handy for overtime as you can do an extra shift and still have 3 days to recover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Working extra days during the week just means more mornings to crawl from the bed.

Advertisement