Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Place to Go For Birthday Drinks?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

It's the big birthday coming up next week (October 20th) and I still haven't a clue where to go for it.

I don't want just a pub with background music, nor do I want a nightclub playing all chart type music.

I love jazz and alternative music. I reckon there will be about 20 people out. It would be great if we could get a seat (we're all getting on a bit at this stage.. ha) and have a bop at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas? I need to get my skates on. A few people have mentioned Whelan's etc but don't you have to pay in there? A few of my friends will be coming later and I don't want them to have to pay a door charge.

Speedy responses GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!;)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

What about Grand Central? they have a dancing place downstairs NOW i havent been there in years but it used to be good fun.

the same with the Church or Grand Social.

The Bull and Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Wurly wrote: »
    Hi there,

It's the big birthday coming up next week (October 20th) and I still haven't a clue where to go for it.

I don't want just a pub with background music, nor do I want a nightclub playing all chart type music.

I love jazz and alternative music. I reckon there will be about 20 people out. It would be great if we could get a seat (we're all getting on a bit at this stage.. ha) and have a bop at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas? I need to get my skates on. A few people have mentioned Whelan's etc but don't you have to pay in there? A few of my friends will be coming later and I don't want them to have to pay a door charge.

Speedy responses GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!;)
    I booked the Village for a similar sized event and they let us in for free and even provided a few platters of food for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

JJ's up on Aungier Street?

http://www.jjsmyths.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

irishbird wrote: »
    What about Grand Central? they have a dancing place downstairs NOW i havent been there in years but it used to be good fun.

downstairs is closed as far as i know now, but they do open it for private functions every now and again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hey folks - thanks a million for all the replies. Decided to go with the Grand Social in the end.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Wurly wrote: »
    Hey folks - thanks a million for all the replies. Decided to go with the Grand Social in the end.;)

Is it the weekend or midweek? Because if you want a seat and be able to have a conversation, then the Grand Social at weekends is not the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Is it the weekend or midweek? Because if you want a seat and be able to have a conversation, then the Grand Social at weekends is not the place to go.

Oops - well too late now. I can't change my mind again. My friends will batter me at this stage.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Ah, you'll enjoy it though. Its good craic. Music is good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Theres usually a nice bit of space there if there's nothing special going on like a gig etc. The upstairs smoking area is huge as well. If you're there relatively early I think it could be spot-on

• Advertisement
Advertisement