Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 6: Mushrooms

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:00am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My favourite mushroom recipe is soup, and the recipe I use is the Avoca one except that I don't use flour and they do. I blend the soup to thicken it.
    I usually make it when I get a couple of big bags of mushrooms on special offer in the supermarket.

25g/1oz butter
    450g/1lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
    1.1kg/2 1/2 lbs mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
    1.2litres/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
    600ml/1 pint of milk
    1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
    Salt & black pepper

Melt the butter over a very low heat, add the onions and cook gently for 10 minutes. Raise the heat, add the mushrooms and season well with salt & pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until the juices start to run, then add the stock and milk and the thyme. Stir well then simmer for 10 minutes. Take out a around a ladle full of mushroom pieces and blend the soup with a hand blender. Put the mushroom pieces back in and serve.
    This makes a lot of soup but it freezes really well. Sometimes I just make half the amount.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

My favourite Sunday brunch.

Sautéed Mushrooms on Toasted Brioche

1 lb of your favourite mushrooms
    4 oz unsalted butter
    1 shallot peeled and minced
    salt and pepper to taste
    juice of one lemon
    1 tbs fresh thyme chopped fine
    4 slices of brioche bread toasted
    1 tbs parsley chopped fine

Wash and dry the mushrooms. If they are large cut in two. Melt the butter in a sauté pan to a brown stage, add mushrooms, then add chopped shallot. Sauté quickly. Season to taste. Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle chopped thyme over the mushrooms. Shake pan and serve hot on toast. Dress with chopped parsley.

Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff

6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
    1 large shallot, thinly sliced
    2 lb. mixed fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini, thinly sliced
    2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1 lb. wide egg noodles or pappardelle

Directions:
    Make the sauce
    In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the shallot and sauté until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they have softened and released most of their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir to incorporate. Stir in the wine and broth and cook until most of the alcohol has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the sour cream and the 2 Tbs. parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook the pasta
    Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 Tbs. salt and the pasta to the boiling water. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until al dente, according to the package instructions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.

Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Warm briefly over low heat to blend the flavors. Add as much of the cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce, garnish with parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast Series

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Made these as part of my Christmas basket for gifts last year, they went down so well I'll be making them again this year, and something other than chutneys and jams in basket
    They don't have a great shelf life, I put about three months on the labels, but saying that we were still using them in august, their lovely on there own with some bread or many friends used them with steak, throwing them in the pan till heated

Marinated Mushrooms

1 litre white vinegar
    250ml dry white wine
    1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
    800g button mushrooms halved (or any mushroom of your choice)
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    Half teaspoon dried chilli flakes
    1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
    1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leafed parsley
    Three strips lemon rind sliced thinly
    1 bay leaf cut into pieces
    500ml good olive oil

Combine vinegar, wine and half the salt in saucepan, heat without boiling,
    Add mushrooms, simmer uncovered about 5 mins or until tender,
    Heat oil gently, do not boil
    Drain mushroom into heatproof bowl, discard liquid,
    Add garlic, chilli, herbs, rind, bay leaf, salt, mix well
    Spoon mushrooms into hot sterilised jars
    Pour warmed oil to completely cover mushrooms, leaving a 1cm space at top of jar
    Seal while hot.

This will make about 1 litre, but you can scale up this recipe no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

This is dead easy, and plain delicious.

1) Take one big field mushroom per person – as big as possible.
    2) Trim/remove the stalk – it just makes it easier at the end.
    3) Anoint liberally with butter/olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs – parsley or thyme work well.
    4) Bake gills upward for about an hour at 130 degrees.
    5) Split and toast one soft bap per mushroom.
    6) Place each mushroom and juices between two halves of a bap.
    7) Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Something I make regularly if I want a carb free day and it is delish.

Make pesto with fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, pine nuts and salt and pepper. Or alternatively buy some in a jar. Add in some finely chopped tomato to the mix. Get a large mushroom and spoon in some of the pesto and tomato mix topped with cheese. Feta, mozarella and gruyere all work really with this. Then oven bake for 12-15 minutes. So easy and so delicious, almost a meal in itself but I usually make them when having steak.

Merkin that sounds yum-oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks Mrs. Fox. It is absolutely beautiful tbh, and so very simple and easy to prepare. I totally forgot to add blue cheese as an option as well - topped the shrooms with some Stilton recently and it was really lovely as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love this mushroom paté and it's easy to make:

250g mushrooms
    30g butter
    3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    250g cream cheese
    salt and pepper

Clean and trim the mushrooms, chop finely.

Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry gently, stirring frequently for 10 mins or until all the moisture has evaporated.

Leave it to cool.

Blend the mushrooms in a food processor until smooth, add the cream cheese and blend again until well mixed.

Season to taste then leave to cool completely.

Refrigerate for at least an hour for the garlic flavour to develop.

Keeps for a week in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Mushrooms of the Forest

18 medium button mushrooms
    3 Italian sausage links
    2 green onions, thinly sliced
    ! tablespoon olive oil1/2 cup burgundy wine
    salt and pepper to taste
    grated Parmesan cheese

Remove stems from mushrooms- save for soup or some other use. Gently clean caps with damp cloth or paper towel. Set aside.
    Slit casing and remove meat. Combine all ingredients except mushrooms and Parmasan cheese. Cook in saucepan on low for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.Stuff mushroom caps with sausage mixture, mounding up a little. Distribute evenly in the 18 caps. Sprinkle Parmesan over filled caps. Broil on cookie sheet - 6 inches from heat source until bubbly, about 3 minutes.

• Advertisement

French Fried Mushrooms
    1 egg
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup flour
    1 cup pakaged cornflake crumbs
    40 fresh mushrooms (button kind)
    Oil to deep fry
    Lemony tartar sauce
    Beat egg, milk and salt until well blended.
    Put flour and cornflake crumbs in separate pieces of waxed paper. Cut stems from mushroomsto 1/4 inch. Save for soup. Roll mushrooms in flour, dip in egg mixture to coat, then roll in cornflake crumbs. Put 1 1/2 to 2 inches of oil in electric skillet or heavy saucepan. Heat oil to 375 * F. Gently drop breaded mushrooms into hot oila few at a time. Fry until golden about 1 minute. Drain on paper toweling. Serve with Lemony tartar sauce.

Lemony Tartar Sauce

3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon dill weed

Combine all. Serve as dip for French Fried Mushrooms. Keep refrigerated.

Mushroom Hors D' Oeuvres

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
    ! tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    dash of Mono sodium Glutamate (MSG, Accent)
    1 can whole mushrooms(4 ounces) Drained
    Toasted sesame seed

Mix vinegar, sugar,soy sauce and Mono sodium glutamate. Pour over mushrooms and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Allow to marinate30 to 60 minutes, Remove from sauce and serve with wooden toothpicks. You can also pour this marinade over whole water chestnuts and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Sausage Ring with Scrambled eggs

1 pound bulk pork sausage
    3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
    1/2 teaspoon basil dried
    1 tablespoon minced dried onion
    1 egg , beaten

Combine all. Mix well. Press into a 7 inch ring mold. Bake at 350* F. for 15 minutes. Drain fat. Continue to bake 15 to 20 minutes longer. Drain any fat. Invert onto serving plate. Fill center with Mushroom scrambled eggs.

Mushroom Scrambled Eggs

6 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 pinch of herbs (herb seasoning mix- I just use Mrs Dash)
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 can (2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
    2 tablespoons milk

Mix all together and blend well. Melt butter in skillet add egg mixture . Cook over medium heat until bottom starts to get firm. Lower heat , stir until desired doneness is reached, Makes 3 to 4 servings.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I've never actually cooked this but I want to join in so I would like peoples opinions.

50g butter
    Lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic
    2 portabello mushrooms
    2 free range eggs

Grill mushrooms 4 minutes on each side
    Meanwhile crush the garlic cloves and place with butter on a low heat let the butter melt and infuse with the garlic.
    Poach the eggs (methods for poaching eggs are a whole thread in itself)
    When grilled place the mushrooms gills up and place an egg on each.
    Drizzle with garlic butter (cloves removed) and a few dots of lemon juice.

Nice and simple should take less than ten minutes so ideal for breakfast or brunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Wash and dry the mushrooms.
    I thought washing Mushrooms was a big no no?

if i am lucky enough to have wild mushrooms i soak them in salt water to get the little woodsy critters out ( this is common here) , but you can take a damp cloth to any mushroom.

I was always under the impression that you were just supposed to brush any dirt off them. At least that's what I do, but then again I'm not a huge fan of Mushrooms so it wouldn't be a common occurrence for me.

They can soak up water I'm told and seems to me the ones I buy in stores can get water logged, but Morels from the woods and those little spike ones- not saying what they're called around here- are full of grit, bugs and other stuff from the forest floor. They get cleaned and soaked in salt water.

BaZmO* wrote: »

You're right, you can brush the grits off with a cloth.
    But I would normally give them a very quick rinse and dry just before I cook them, I doubt they'll soak up too much water.
    I know some people who actually peel off the 'skin'.

EZ24GET wrote: »
    Morels from the woods

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Morels:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

My favourite mushroom recipe is soup, and the recipe I use is the Avoca one except that I don't use flour and they do. I blend the soup to thicken it.
    I usually make it when I get a couple of big bags of mushrooms on special offer in the supermarket.

25g/1oz butter
    450g/1lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
    1.1kg/2 1/2 lbs mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
    1.2litres/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
    600ml/1 pint of milk
    1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
    Salt & black pepper

Melt the butter over a very low heat, add the onions and cook gently for 10 minutes. Raise the heat, add the mushrooms and season well with salt & pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until the juices start to run, then add the stock and milk and the thyme. Stir well then simmer for 10 minutes. Take out a around a ladle full of mushroom pieces and blend the soup with a hand blender. Put the mushroom pieces back in and serve.
    This makes a lot of soup but it freezes really well. Sometimes I just make half the amount.

It seems a lot of liquid, especially as mushrooms shrink a lot when cooked. Do you find it a thin soup? I'd say the bit of flour would help thicken it. Sounds yum otherwise. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It seems a lot of liquid, especially as mushrooms shrink a lot when cooked. Do you find it a thin soup? I'd say the bit of flour would help thicken it. Sounds yum otherwise. :)

No, in fact it's quite thick because I blend it.

No, in fact it's quite thick because I blend it.

I made mushroom soup before that was still very thin after blending but I think I might have used a lot less mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I do that:o Are you not meant to?...

leahyl wrote: »
    I do that:o Are you not meant to?...

My mother cuts of the stalks, for some reason.

My mother cuts of the stalks, for some reason.

I cut off the stalk :)

I only cut the bottom, dried-up bit of the stalk off and wipe off any little bits of compost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

BaZmO* wrote: »

Why is this?

Wurly wrote: »
    Why is this?

Any time I've seen Chefs on TV prepare them they've always said not to wash them because they will soak up too much liquid.

• Advertisement

I cut off the stalk :)

M..M..Mammy? :eek::confused::pac:

Advertisement