Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 6: Mushrooms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

My favourite mushroom recipe is soup, and the recipe I use is the Avoca one except that I don't use flour and they do. I blend the soup to thicken it.
    I usually make it when I get a couple of big bags of mushrooms on special offer in the supermarket.

25g/1oz butter
    450g/1lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
    1.1kg/2 1/2 lbs mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
    1.2litres/2 pints vegetable or chicken stock
    600ml/1 pint of milk
    1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
    Salt & black pepper

Melt the butter over a very low heat, add the onions and cook gently for 10 minutes. Raise the heat, add the mushrooms and season well with salt & pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until the juices start to run, then add the stock and milk and the thyme. Stir well then simmer for 10 minutes. Take out a around a ladle full of mushroom pieces and blend the soup with a hand blender. Put the mushroom pieces back in and serve.
    This makes a lot of soup but it freezes really well. Sometimes I just make half the amount.

Made this last night. Next week's lunches sorted, lovely jubberly. Added in a squeeze of lemon juice, some garlic and a potato, and also thickened with cornflour.

Advertisement