Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Banning" jokes but allowing name calling in AH

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

I would like to know how the moderation in boards works (in particular AH)

Phrases which are jokes such as yore ma etc are banned and there is talk of banning thinly veiled etc. I don't really care one way or the other about these phrases, as I said in the "thinly veiled thread" I have a scroll down button and I can glance at these posts if I choose to or not.

Personal insults and direct abuse those is tolerated. I thought there was a spirit of attacking the post and not the poster. In threads where people have no valid argument it usually gets to the level of name calling and no action is taken by the moderators.

For example here it is implied I am jealous and creepy because I disagree with the posters stance on private education

and here
    "I have suffered your posts up until now."

Obviously the person here doesn't realise that they are not being forced to read my posts, it is their choice. This is off topic posting, just to insult.

I have reported the posters but no action was taken, why is this allowed?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The words "jealous" and "creepy" aren't insults. I still wouldn't want either word levelled at me, but they're not terms of personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

The words "jealous" and "creepy" aren't insults. I still wouldn't want either word levelled at me, but they're not terms of personal abuse.

I would have to disagree about "creepy" not being an insult

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't actually see any insults there.

The first one said that you're being jealous. That's hardly insulting and is at worst a misguided conclusion drawn from their understanding of your posts. The user went on to say that they found this perceived jealousy to be "creepy". They didn't call you creepy, they found the act of being jealous to be creepy. Again, this isn't an insult and is little more than a bizarre statement to make. This post was a poor attempt to discredit your position in the thread.

"I have suffered your posts up until now" is also not a personal insult. It's a blanket dismissal of your posts and a fairly childish method of arguing a point.

Those two examples do little more than show up the people who wrote them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Boombastic wrote: »
    I would have to disagree about "creepy" not being an insult

More like describing your character.
    You could be or not, I don't know you.

The problem with AH is some lines get over used and done for thanks.
    To be honest, best way to sort it is eliminate thanks for the forum.

fair enough, I agree that jealous is not an insult, only a childish way to try discredit, but it gets trotted out so regularly in many discussions - any chance of limiting it's use as it usually adds nothing to the discussions ?

To describe mine or any one else's character as 'creepy', I would take as an insult as it suggests perverted in some way

The other post re: Suffering my posts' - this was the only post that poster contributed to the thread. It was off topic and directed as an insult (I think)

These aren't the only two examples, I can pull up more if necessary (and not only ones directed towards me)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Frank Serpico

humanji wrote: »
    "I have suffered your posts up until now" is also not a personal insult. It's a blanket dismissal of your posts and a fairly childish method of arguing a point.

Oh come on, it's a clear case of 'attacking the poster and not the post'.

I wonder how long a user would last if they leveled a comment like that at a moderator - not long I'm thinking and so it shouldn't be tolerated when aimed at non-moderators or newbies (which appears to be when it is most tolerated).

Oh come on, it's a clear case of 'attacking the poster and not the post'.

I wonder how long a user would last if they leveled a comment like that at a moderator - not long I'm thinking and so it shouldn't be tolerated when aimed at non-moderators or newbies (which appears to be when it is most tolerated).

and just to point out, it was made by a moderator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I would like to know how the moderation in boards works (in particular AH)

Phrases which are jokes such as yore ma etc are banned and there is talk of banning thinly veiled etc. I don't really care one way or the other about these phrases, as I said in the "thinly veiled thread" I have a scroll down button and I can glance at these posts if I choose to or not.

Personal insults and direct abuse those is tolerated. I thought there was a spirit of attacking the post and not the poster. In threads where people have no valid argument it usually gets to the level of name calling and no action is taken by the moderators.

For example here it is implied I am jealous and creepy because I disagree with the posters stance on private education

and here
    "I have suffered your posts up until now."

Obviously the person here doesn't realise that they are not being forced to read my posts, it is their choice. This is off topic posting, just to insult.

I have reported the posters but no action was taken, why is this allowed?

Just to point out here Boombastic that by starting this thread, you could easily be hoisted upon your own petard. A quick "find more posts by", shows you yourself are not averse to throwing out thinly veiled insults at other posters, usually when the fallacy of your "argument" is pointed out to you.

If you actually ARE that incredibly sensitive, and not just being petty, then use your scroll down button and don't bother reading the posts. You by your own admission are not forced to read the posts, it is your choice!

Stones in glass houses and all that jazz! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Surely that's insulting so. If someone said you were creepy then it would be insulting, non?

Just to point out here Boombastic that by starting this thread, you could easily be hoisted upon your own petard. A quick "find more posts by", shows you yourself are not averse to throwing out thinly veiled insults at other posters, usually when the fallacy of your "argument" is pointed out to you.

If you actually ARE that incredibly sensitive, and not just being petty, then use your scroll down button and don't bother reading the posts. You by your own admission are not forced to read the posts, it is your choice!

Stones in glass houses and all that jazz! :D

Fair enough can you show me where you have seen this happen? My question here is about moderation, how can 'jokes' be banned, but insults aimed directly at the poster permitted. And I will read posts if they quote me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fair enough can you show me where you have seen this happen? My question here is about moderation, how can 'jokes' be banned, but insults aimed directly at the poster permitted. And I will read posts if they quote me

Jokes aren't banned, used to death meme's are. Usually if the personal stuff is getting prevalent we'll issue an on thread warning first. I didn't look at the first thread but the second will be closed soon unless it takes a turn for the better.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I would like to know how the moderation in boards works

The BAU majority of Moderators' moderating will be viewing reported posts and judging on if/how a post/user needs moderating. Mods will also tend to browse the forum they mod, and pick up on areas that need looking at using this method. They may use; social cues, their knowledge on relevant personas, general all round cleverness, and escalations to CMod/Admin for investigation, to do this - for example.
    humanji wrote: »
    Those two examples do little more than show up the people who wrote them.
    This. Discussion gets heated but when childish retorts like those two examples happen, their argument is weakened somewhat. Whatever happened to rapier witted postulatory retorts? You could have dismissed this petty argument and won the day, but instead here we are.

And for everyone's sanity, there they were, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement