Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting growers for ugly wall; Pots for bamboo

• 09-10-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Anyone got good ideas for what to plant to cover ugly walls in the back garden?

The walls would see quite a bit of light and are pretty sheltered, the back wall gets the sun all day & evening, the side wall gets a lot of sun too.

We have boston ivy on one wall which is doing wall, but I want to contain that and dont really want ivy everywhere. We'd be looking for something with a good bit of colour if possible, and fragrance would be nice also.

The other thing is bamboo. I have planted four clumps of Phyllostachys Nigra in the ground. This will eventually provide cover above wall height for half the back wall. The other half will also need cover, but there is patio there, so I will need to plant in pots or troughs or something. Has anyone any recommendations on what to use - something that will be big enough to allow the bamboo to grow well.

Or maybe I am better off cutting sections out of the patio and planting the bamboo in the ground? I know watering would be essential if I did it this way.

Any recommendations on growers & how to plant the bamboo on the patio much appreciated.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Having done a bit more research, the "old favourites" would seem to apply for climbers for wall cover: clematis, wisteria, maybe honeysuckle. I'd love a bit of colour & fragrance in the summer. Any recommendations for varieties most welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Virginia Creeper is a lovely climber and has amazing red foliage in the autumn as it dies off for the winter.

Clematis Armandia would also be another good climber,its evergreen and has lovely scented flowers in the summertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,629 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had that same bamboo in a large pot for years and it did nothing at all. Eventually after maybe 6 years or so I planted it in the ground and it has rocketed away and has after 2 years made a healthy clump that is finally growing to a decent height. People do seem to grow bamboo in pots, but that was my experience.

Advertisement