Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed - College courses

• 09-10-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

I have recently been looking into becoming a Woodwork/Construction Studies teacher in either a secondary school or a FAS training centre. I know to do this you need a degree and the only college I can seem to find that teach the subject is the University of Limerick, who do a 4 year course.

However I am a fully qualified carpenter with almost 8 years experience in the trade, so I was wondering if there is some kind of post-graduate course for people who have completed the trade qualifications and really just need to learn the teaching aspect of the job. I would also be interested to know if anyone has heard of any colleges other than UL to teach this subject.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I would know very little about it, being an English teacher. However, I recall having a dip in school who was teaching Woodwork and DCG. They, I believe, were studying in either Sligo or Galway IT.

Oh - here it is. Check the end of page 3: http://www.gmit.ie/news-events/publications/gmit-vision.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Oh here's a post grad for those subjects. However, I would have no idea if you can use your trade qualifications in lieu of a degree. Ring them - I'm sure they'll be able to tell you immediately. http://www.gmit.ie/letterfrack/programmes/hdip-arts-in-education.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Post grad in UL. 18 months, rock hard to get into though.

You would need to be teaching DCG too and would need to.brush up on it as there is a drawing exam and a bench test as well as an interview for entry as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Donegaljack

Hi there,

Give the Open Learning Centre, NUI Galway a call.

They will put you on the right track.

Google Open Learning Centre, NUI Galway for contact details.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i would also be interested in knowing how you get on on this,ive looked into it before but i know you have to have specific degrees to do the postgraduate course

• Advertisement
Advertisement