Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 weeks in Jail for offensive web posts about poor April Jones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

steve9859 wrote: »
    IMO that doesnt mean that you dont try, and just wash your hands of it. Personally I think the UK authorities are doing a decent job of sending a message about what is acceptable. When explaining to your kids what they shouldn't be posting on-line, it's a hell of a lot easier when you're able to point to someone who is in a prison cell for what they did

If they (your kids) don't heed your message will you clapping the Gardai on the back as they haul your son/daughter off to jail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Allyall wrote: »
    Sympathy for him is irrelevant. He posted a joke (Few jokes) online, and is in prison.

:eek::confused:

I have to agree with your opinion I guess if I was to reflect on what it actually means. Jailing him is probably not a good idea. And it does indeed open a can of worms and set a precedent. There is a lot of offensive stuff out there that people could start reporting.

Still though, I find this kind of stuff obnoxious, especially timing of it, so no sympathy in this particular case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

BASHIR wrote: »
    Plus I dont know what RTDH is cant comment on that.
    Today you will get arrested for a sick joke.

Tomorrow you will arrested for daring to suggest 7/7 was an inside job.

True sign of the up and coming fascist police state.
    Right on cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

An unfortunate situation for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hopefully they'll lock you up first, so we don't have to read your insane posts anymore. That is of course, if the Lizard people don't get you first. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

dirtyden wrote: »
    If racism online is a crime (incitement to hatred or whatever they call it) I dont see why something like this should not be.

There's a difference between racism and incitement to hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Madam_X wrote: »
    Until the British state imprisons people for criticising the government/appearing to be critical of the government; spies on people in their homes; forbids any discussion/criticism of same, 1984 comparisons are comparing like with unlike.

A bit too RTDH to be making such statements.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Right on cue.

Ah, Penny drops.

Im offended by your statements and so is my 50 strong mob.
    See you in court :pac:

The guy was an ignorant idiot, but yobs can do serious GBH to an elderly person and not see jail at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

saiint wrote: »
    but lets hope he gets butt f*cked before he gets out

So you see rape as a just punishment for making sick jokes?

Does that go for women, too, or just men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Damathon111

I'm worried Ireland will become like this. England is becoming a fascist country even though it's the liberals who are doing this which is very ironic. You can't criticize Islam in England without getting a slap on the wrist. Not to mention they've banned Michael Savage and a Dutch M.P. for criticizing Islam. I bet they wouldn't ban those guys if they criticized Christianity.

Our free speech is being taken from us even though religions are a lifestyle choice and not something permanent like skin colour. It's sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

saiint wrote: »
    but lets hope he gets butt f*cked before he gets out

that post right there would see you get 12 weeks in jail in the uk for the very same reasons the guy you're posting about got 12 weeks in jail

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

i saw one guy post in the thread i dared not visit often '5yo goes missing in wales' that it if she ended up being sold off; she'd be 'loved' regardless and i just thought "what does he mean, who is he... could be a paedophile having a gloat" maybe like long term member 'pdfile' but eh; could be a joke so what eh.. but its just the anonymous nature of it really.. the problem i have is if its that comedian up on stage, his fans know what to expect its the precise opposite of hiding behind something as a suspicious, undetermined anomnity.

i understand the internet may be a haven for repressed paedophiles but I believe we should be setting a good example... and maybe a touch of class might creep in because this is all a bit too savage for me, and i certainly don't want a scenario where trying to set a good example draws the ire of the powers that be and bans happen for that, instead because then we really would be on the fast track to hell.

i dont know whats happening with the mods here, may be some old lurking deadwood over the best part of a decade and counting is preventing the newer, more interactive ones from setting a better example as the more established authority? There can be a murky atmosphere where practical gimps on chains and probable pdfiles post nonsense, for years yet sensible folk or bleeding hearts may get clipped off.. and not for drawing the ire of the public but seemingly for a mods personal grievance, i've also coined the phrase the modgelene laundry for a reason so work on it - the children shouldn't have to suffer nor feel repressed so bit of personality, bit of interaction bit of heart would suffice so lets all lay a better example. that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm worried Ireland will become like this. England is becoming a fascist country even though it's the liberals who are doing this which is very ironic. You can't criticize Islam in England without getting a slap on the wrist. Not to mention they've banned Michael Savage and a Dutch M.P. for criticizing Islam. I bet they wouldn't ban those guys if they criticized Christianity.

Our free speech is being taken from us even though religions are a lifestyle choice and not something permanent like skin colour. It's sickening.

Those two people weren't just criticising Islam, they were preaching hate islamophobic bile.

Incidentally, the UK has also banned Islamic preachers for preaching hate as well, which is often overlooked by the right wing.

This guy got the max sentence he could from an over sensitive magistrate. It will be appealed in two weeks, the sentence dropped to two weeks and he will be home, having served a painful lesson.

The sentence is ridiculously ott, but its difficult to have any sympathy for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

i saw one guy post in the thread i dared not visit often '5yo goes missing in wales' that it if she ended up being sold off; she'd be 'loved' regardless and i just thought "what does he mean, who is he... could be a paedophile having a gloat" maybe like long term member 'pdfile' but eh; could be a joke so what eh.. but its just the anonymous nature of it really.. the problem i have is if its that comedian up on stage, his fans know what to expect its the precise opposite of hiding behind something as a suspicious, undetermined anomnity.

i understand the internet may be a haven for repressed paedophiles but I believe we should be setting a good example... and maybe a touch of class might creep in because this is all a bit too savage for me, and i certainly don't want a scenario where trying to set a good example draws the ire of the powers that be and bans happen for that, instead because then we really would be on the fast track to hell.

i dont know whats happening with the mods here, may be some old lurking deadwood over the best part of a decade and counting is preventing the newer, more interactive ones from setting a better example as the more established authority? There can be a murky atmosphere where practical gimps on chains and probable pdfiles post nonsense, for years yet sensible folk or bleeding hearts may get clipped off.. and not for drawing the ire of the public but seemingly for a mods personal grievance, i've also coined the phrase the modgelene laundry for a reason so work on it - the children shouldn't have to suffer nor feel repressed so bit of personality, bit of interaction bit of heart would suffice so lets all lay a better example. that is all

They'll be handing out infractions for writing grammatically correct sentences next..

So much bollocks all in the one post. How do you do it?

If you have a problem with the modding on the site, take it to Feedback. Don't do it in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Wow. This is unreal. 3 months in jail for what?

It's an idiotic thing to joke about a child like that, but they sent him to jail for that?

Posts like this are hilarious;

I have young kids too, and you can be sure they'll never post something as bad online

This is laughable Mountainsandh, how exactly do you know what your kids will and will not do?
    Yes I absolutely do know, because my kids are not raised to be insensitive idiots, simple. I'm an attentive parent & doubt they will manage to become that in my back either, if that was ever a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes I absolutely do know, because my kids are not raised to be insensitive idiots, simple. I'm an attentive parent & doubt they will manage to become that in my back either, if that was ever a possibility.

Like myself, you should finish rearing them before you become absolute about stuff like that. Many's the parent got a rude awakening.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

If we want to set oursleves apart from the uk; then let's not revel in our freedom to be degenerates ok - let's not see similar legal measures introduced here I've always had contempt for authority; but more from a standpoint of why should there even need to be one so let's not let it happen off the back of such instances? Thank you.

Those two people weren't just criticising Islam, they were preaching hate islamophobic bile.

There's nothing wrong with Islamophobia. Being a Muslim is a lifestyle choice, not a permanent condition like Downs syndrome or autism. Muslims ARE NOT A RACE and should be open to criticism. This pussy-liberal attitude is the reason why that Norwegian guy went nuts and killed a load of future left wingers. This will happen in Britain and I look forward to it, the West needs a wake-up call and stop suppressing its own people just to appease Muslims, ethnics and multiculturalists.

People preach hate towards Christians all the time but as soon as it's done to Muslims, it's a big problem. The left wing in the West is always criticizing Christianity and you don't see Christians holding effigies.

Savage and the Dutch politician didn't preach hate, they said they hate Islam, not Muslims. I am of the same opinion, I hate the religion, not the people.

ALL religions should be open to criticism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The guy was drunk at a friend's house and he copy-pasta something from sickipedia and changed it around a bit. I know tons of people who post jokes from there on Facebook all the time. He was unlucky tbh, and doesn't deserve jail for this as has been said ad infinitum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

At what point, exactly, do some parents forget that they're raising independent-minded humans and not programming robots? My parents raised me to be a good mass-going Catholic who always says no drugs and never drinks more than three pints in a sitting. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

BASHIR wrote: »
    I never compared it, I said it sprang to my mind.
    Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically - just in general. A lot of people are making the 1984 comparison and I don't think it's accurate or fair.
    England is becoming a fascist country
    No it isn't. Ask people in Britain who lived in fascist Germany/Italy/Spain. They'll advise you you're talking bollocks.
    This pussy-liberal attitude is the reason why that Norwegian guy went nuts and killed a load of future left wingers. This will happen in Britain and I look forward to it
    Lol. You look forward to someone going nuts and killing a load of innocent people - but you don't hate muslims, just the religion.

Ironically, it's fascists who share the same mindset as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Anyone else noticing that this thread isn't refreshing correctly? The last post from one of the mods in response to Madam X is not displaying? :confused:

No it isn't. Ask people in Britain who lived in fascist Germany/Italy/Spain. They'll advise you you're talking bollocks.

I wasn't talking in the literal sense but taking free speech away from someone is authoritarian - a branch of fascism
    Lol. You look forward to someone going nuts and killing a load of innocent people - but you don't hate muslims, just the religion.

Ironically, it's fascists who share the same mindset as you.

Better than being oppressed and unable to speak my mind as long as the people he kills is not someone I know or am related to. The planet is going to be dangerously overpopulated anyway, we need to cull a few hundred million people before countries start going to war over who owns the last oil well on earth - for this, I welcome mass deaths as long as it's not in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

tigger123 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticing that this thread isn't refreshing correctly? The last post from one of the mods in response to Madam X is not displaying? :confused:

Government removed it :pac:

• Advertisement

Nazi state?

over react much?
    It's fashionable to say this, it seems. But it obviously involves no thought.
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    British government couldn't care less about it's citizens
    How do you know? Bet it does.
    Things like death threats certainly warrant police attention, as do sustained bullying/harassment campaigns and internet stalking.
    I agree. And you said hurting someone's feelings shouldn't be actionable - but isn't that what bullying is? My point is: I know this case is ludicrous, it's making me more and more annoyed and incredulous the more I think about it, but that said, some folks are arguing people should be able to say whatever they like on social media. No they shouldn't. Jail should be a very last resort though IMO.
    It appears the authorities are having a lot of difficulty figuring out a strategy as to how to deal with the new phenomena of social media/networking, and deciding what constitutes action. A girl committed suicide following harassment on AskFM - how can something like this be regulated? It's a really tricky one.
    No you won't.
    The irony of all this "fascist" bullsh1t is: it's the state being too PC, being OTT about sparing people's feelings - what fascist organisation could ever be accused of that?!
    A culture of being respectful and tolerant towards others would be a good thing, but this jailing nonsense (and letting people off for domestic abuse, like Justin Lee Collins) won't achieve it, it will only breed resentment. Playing into the hands of loons basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I wasn't talking in the literal sense but taking free speech away from someone is authoritarian - a branch of fascism

Better than being oppressed and unable to speak my mind as long as the people he kills is not someone I know or am related to. The planet is going to be dangerously overpopulated anyway, we need to cull a few hundred million people before countries start going to war over who owns the last oil well on earth - for this, I welcome mass deaths as long as it's not in Ireland.
    I know it's considered poor form these days to go calling people trolls, but seriously, the lack of effort here a bit insulting. 0/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Whilst I completely disagree with the sentencing and all that, I think examples have to be made.

Its always completely unfair on the minority of people who are chosen as examples but it has to be done.

I remember I got thrown out of the Gaeltacht because I spoke English a few times, it was harsh but an example had to be made out of me. Otherwise there'd be so much more of it going on.

Anybody who hears about this is going to think twice about doing vile **** like this.

I feel sorry for the guy though, Lord knows I've told a fair few horrible jokes.

"My right to attack muslims being taken from me" - bad
    "Mass murder" - good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically - just in general. A lot of people are making the 1984 comparison and I don't think it's accurate or fair.
    England is certainly becoming a fascist country just like its big brother America. (Excuse the pun) :p

You cannot walk a street corner in UK cities without being recorded on HD Police CCTV.

In fact many who lived through those suppressed generations are warning of it being repeated.

Hitler's regime did not have the ways and means to track, pinpoint and digitally store everyone movements and correspondence in the way the UK Government has today.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

tigger123 wrote: »

It was my post, I deleted it because I had taken Madam_X up wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

the_monkey wrote: »
    In a few years they will be sending people to Jail for sexist comments, or
    just calling people an as*hole...

Disgusting Nazi state.

Exactly. This is how more power is grabbed by governments - wait for some event that has the public riled up, and then set a precedent by jailing someone for a non-crime.

Surely there has to be free-speech advocates up in arms over this?

With this kind of carry on, the UK really is an inch away from being able to lock anyone up because they didn't like what they are saying.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ...I deleted it because I had taken Madam_X up wrong. :)
    Fnarr fnarr.

tails_naf wrote: »
    Exactly. This is how more power is grabbed by governments - wait for some event that has the public riled up, and then set a precedent by jailing someone for a non-crime.

Surely there has to be free-speech advocates up in arms over this?

With this kind of carry on, the UK really is an inch away from being able to lock anyone up because they didn't like what they are saying.
    Doubt it. And no it's not a nazi state. Seriously, that's unfair to people who actually lived and suffered in a nazi state.

No RTDH, England "certainly" isn't becoming a fascist or whatever (thought 1984 was about communism?) state. CCTV is for security, not for reading people's facial expressions to assess whether they could be thinking anti government thoughts; people are free to discuss the government. The same applies to America.

I know you'd LIKE them to be becoming dictatorships - for the drama or excitement or whatever, but they're not. You should acquaint yourself with actual dictatorships.

Doubt it. And no it's not a nazi state. Seriously, that's unfair to people who actually lived and suffered in a nazi state.

No, it's not yet, but how far away is it really?

The Nazi party came to power by riling up the people to believed Jews were responsible for their economic woes - and in a few short years, pretty terrible things were happening, but the country was too far gone for the people to turn it around.

Likewise in the US - 15 years ago, people in the US would have strongly opposed someone who dared attack their rights - but the govt again latched onto a terrible even to put in place some pretty draconian laws - and now a large portion of the population people accept that the govt has to monitor calls and emails in order to 'protect' them.

This has happened countless times - and the UK has been adding more and more surveillance, and this to me is another small step in the wrong direction.

All it takes is a lot of small steps - and better still if you can convince the majority of the public that the step was the right thing to do 'at the time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

Anyone else not actually believe this nonsense? Seems like a fantastical ploy by the media (and whatever other vested interests might be involved) to actually stop this kind of behaviour rather than something that actually happened?

I'll go and put my tinfoil hat back on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

has any one of us on here read the exact wording the guy who wrote this offensive rant,
    i have not read it,
    but i understand that he made fun of the whole thing,

and i do find very disturbing that someone can do something of that nature,
    he must have some problem,
    he has no feeling for the suffering these children,
    something is badly wrong with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Why is it OK to make jokes about April Jones, but not the 3 lads who died from falling into a slurry tank?

There was nothing but outrage on here when someone joked about that.

F*cking boards double standards.

CCTV is for security

CCTV is for your security (though they can also record sound on each street corner) you say .

I'm sure 'for your own good' or a variation on them was used by every police state there ever was!

goat2 wrote: »
    i do find very disturbing that someone can do something of that nature

Most right-minded people do.
    he must have some problem

He may well be mentally ill. We don't know to be honest.
    he has no feeling for the suffering these children

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Maybe if he actually thought about it (I suspect he doesn't think much) then he may actually have genuine empathy for these victims. Then again, perhaps he's a sociopath/psychopath and doesn't actually 'get' empathy. In which case, along with the rest of the 3% of the population like him, he's very sick.

Then again, maybe he's just a stupid moron who made a grave error of judgement.

Or maybe he's just a figment of the media's imagination.

Again, we don't know.

• Advertisement

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Why is it OK to make jokes about April Jones, but not the 3 lads who died from falling into a slurry tank?

As I said earlier in the thread, this guy wasn't banned from After Hours, he was jailed for three months.

Massive difference.

I Am Kong! wrote: »

Cop on. Being outraged and offended and retaliating verbally is different to being jailed.

As a big fan of Nevin Spence, I'd have been pretty angry if I had been exposed to people slagging him off soon after his death. Do I think they should be jailed for it? Eh, no. I'm emotionally stable enough to realise there are f**king idiots out there without thinking I have some kind of right to punish them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Upon thinking about this more ...

This guy got what he deserved. He made that comment pubically on his facebook. How could he of thought nothing would come from it -it was a sick comment to make so f**k him.

Upon thinking about this more ...

This guy got what he deserved. He made that comment pubically on his facebook. How could he of thought nothing would come from it -it was a sick comment to make so f**k him.

Did he get what he deserved? Maybe. Is this a grave miscarriage of justice and a frightening precedent to the curtailment of freedom of speech? Definitely. So much so actually, that I don't even believe the story. I don't think any of this happened. Suspect it was engineered by the media. Again, I'll grab my tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

FrogMarch wrote: »
    Did he get what he deserved? Maybe. Is this a grave miscarriage of justice and a frightening precedent to the curtailment of freedom of speech? Definitely. So much so actually, that I don't even believe the story. I don't think any of this happened. Suspect it was engineered by the media. Again, I'll grab my tinfoil hat.

I totally see the point of freedom of speech. A part of me actually scratches my head over it ...

but I just keep coming back to the fact did he honestly think nothing would come from it? .. he put it in a public forum... being arrested and mob justice aside. Didnt he think he'd just stir so much crap between him and people who were added on his facebook.

Not only was it such a tastless comment to make it was such a stupid thing to post aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put people in prison for acting the *****.

If the guy was posting 'proper hateful stuff' on the facebook page of the family, or something along those lines, then he should get in trouble. There are laws here, and in the UK, that cover that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Surely a misdemeanor (ie not recorded) fine of like 500 quid is the appropriate response for this, what good does it do to convict a 19 year old, whats that going to do to his future prospects, all they are doing is creating more social problems. If I was a UK resident I would be getting on to my local minister raging about this, there should be an appropriate response, not some crowd pleasing heavy handed judgement on some clueless young fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

FrogMarch wrote: »
    . Is this a grave miscarriage of justice and a frightening precedent to the curtailment of freedom of speech? Definitely. .

Nope...I don't think it is. Trolling, abuse, or instances that go further such as incitement to hatred....they are all things that people are too often prepared to defend as 'freedom of speech'....nonsense IMO

And phrases like 'frightening precedent' are ridiculously melodramatic....actually like most of the posts on here that go on about fascism etc

Setting behavioral boundaries for the Internet is the right thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have absolutely no sympathy for him, in fact..Fuck him, he doesn't deserve his freedom. He thought he was a smart arse making sick jokes about missing and presumably dead children, so fuck him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

CJC999 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no sympathy for him, in fact..Fuck him, he doesn't deserve his freedom. He thought he was a smart arse making sick jokes about missing and presumably dead children, so fuck him.

I remember a Madeline McCann joke was post of the day on here once.

The outrage brigade needs to fcuk off. I don't like his jokes, but jail should be reserved for real crimes.

Advertisement