Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 weeks in Jail for offensive web posts about poor April Jones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

tails_naf wrote: »
    CCTV is for your security (though they can also record sound on each street corner) you say .

I'm sure 'for your own good' or a variation on them was used by every police state there ever was!

oh they can

new thing they are working on in the UK is this ,
    do you know the cats eyes on the motorways and a roads in the uk?
    well , they are mounting ANPR software to mini cams fitted into the cats eyes
    why you might ask ?
    revenue generation and intelligence collection , revenue from speeding fines along with no tax and insurance , they will be able to time your average speed and tell if your speeding for that road - BAM - 60 quid fine

they are also hooking the same system into the city mounted CCTV systems ,
    along with your " smart " phone they can track you , so you are tracked in work , traveling to work , and online at home :eek:

to me it looks like the UK get a massive hard on for these kind of gadgets , thing is

it could have saved this kid possibly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Can't see the problem here. He made disgusting comments at a sensitive time on a public forum. His words resulted in a large scale breach of the peace. He has to take responsability for that. Free speech has it's limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

MagicSean wrote: »
    Can't see the problem here. He made disgusting comments at a sensitive time on a public forum. His words resulted in a large scale breach of the peace. He has to take responsability for that. Free speech has it's limits.

What about the mob? I'm pretty sure 50 people marching to someones house can be defined as breaching the peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

FrogMarch wrote: »
    Did he get what he deserved? Maybe. Is this a grave miscarriage of justice and a frightening precedent to the curtailment of freedom of speech? Definitely. So much so actually, that I don't even believe the story. I don't think any of this happened. Suspect it was engineered by the media. Again, I'll grab my tinfoil hat.

He didn't get what he deserved, at all. Punishments are supposed to reflect the seriousness of the crime and the effect it has on their victims. His crime was that of distaste and causing offense. Offense is not comparable to being subjected to actual harm.

People that cause actual harm to others escape prison sentences every day in the UK.

Who exactly is he supposed to have harmed with his comments? He wasn't arrested because a family member of April's made a complaint. He was arrested because a gang of 50 angry people (who did actually want to cause harm) arrived at his mother's home looking for him.

Maybe he deserved to be arrested and punished to some degree (I don't believe he did, personally), he could have been made to do community service or partake in a training scheme, but three months in jail is of no benefit to society, the supposed victims of his crime or to the guy himself. It's a stupid knee-jerk reaction to something dictated wholly by an uninvolved and rabble roused public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

None of the quick to take offence brigade have mentioned who the final arbitrator, of what can and cannot be said, should be. Or how you can properly and fairly implement this form of censorship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is also the softer approach like banning him from the internet for a period of time. This already applies to certain certain offenders in the UK and something that we will see a lot more of once personal online e_ signatures are imposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

My 2 cents

There is apparently a law in UK making it a crime to transmit electronically or otherwise material which is considered offensive.

Material is considered offensive not on how the creator meant it, but how it is perceived, just like say sexual harrassment.

Guy "jokingly" comments to girl about size of her boobs. Girl takes offence and reports guy for sexual harassment. Guy charged with sexual harrassment.

Doesn't matter that he says he meant it as a joke. It is how the remark was perceived that counts.

There is a punishment associated with this crime.

The guy committed said offence and was punished, simple as. Sure he was given the maximum possible to be made an example of and yes it possibly is a little harsh. But I am sure that his comments caused additional pain and suffering to anybody close to this young child (who are already suffering) who happened across his "jokes". Sorry but it is hard to have much sympathy for him tbh.

As the saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime, and I don't think a fine is a big enough deterrent and community service was out as his picture was all over the press, so he could have been lynched during his community service if the mob found out where he was, so jail it is. He will most likley serve less than a third of this sentence, and if it makes him (and others) engage his/their brain(s) before posting such crap in the future, well job done IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

steve9859 wrote: »
    Nope...I don't think it is. Trolling, abuse, or instances that go further such as incitement to hatred....

Yes, but this guy was guilty of trolling and, to a degree, abuse. Although abuse is a very subjective term. As many have already said, where do we draw the line? What I find offensive, may not be offensive to you. What you find offensive, may not be offensive to me. It all depends on your opinions, your emotional conditioning, your spiritual or religious beliefs amongst many other factors. How can you possibly legislate for that subjectively? Anyway, I'm mostly paraphrasing Steve Hughes. He put it better than I ever could.

As for incitement to hatred - that's a very different thing and it is a crime as far as I'm aware. This guy wasn't guilty of that.
    they are all things that people are too often prepared to defend as 'freedom of speech'....nonsense IMO

It's not nonsense. People should be entitled to freedom of speech. Even if that makes them sick weirdos, as long as they're not actually causing irreparable damage or inciting hatred or violence, then people can say what they want. In fact, I find people who say otherwise offensive. But hey, they're entitled to say it.
    And phrases like 'frightening precedent' are ridiculously melodramatic....

I don't find it melodramatic. Some kid's just been jailed (apparently) for being a complete f**king idiot. If being an idiot was a criminal offense at 19 years old, I'd probably have done some hard time by now. Not that I was ever as much of an idiot as this f**king idiot. But I still don't think he deserved to be jailed.
    Setting behavioral boundaries for the Internet is the right thing to do

No. It's not. It's fascism. People can think and say whatever they want, no matter how distasteful, provided they're not a threat to people or society.

He didn't get what he deserved, at all. Punishments are supposed to reflect the seriousness of the crime and the effect it has on their victims. His crime was that of distaste and causing offense. Offense is not comparable to being subjected to actual harm.

Yeah, I agree with you FWIW. He didn't, legally, deserve jail time. Morally maybe but that's not what the law is there for. I was just (badly) making a more general point.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What about the mob? I'm pretty sure 50 people marching to someones house can be defined as breaching the peace.

And it was his behaviour that caused that breach. They too should also be held accountable for their actions.

People that cause actual harm to others escape prison sentences every day in the UK.

Who exactly is he supposed to have harmed with his comments? He wasn't arrested because a family member of April's made a complaint. He was arrested because a gang of 50 angry people (who did actually want to cause harm) arrived at his mother's home looking for him.

Maybe he deserved to be arrested and punished to some degree (I don't believe he did, personally), he could have been made to do community service or partake in a training scheme, but three months in jail is of no benefit to society, the supposed victims of his crime or to the guy himself. It's a stupid knee-jerk reaction to something dictated wholly by an uninvolved and rabble roused public.

i disagree. Aprils story was international. It was a very emotional and sensitive subject. His words will have hurt a lot of people. He caused upset to a lot of people, including the judge perhaps. Maybe he was made an example of but nothing happened which he did not bring on himself.
    There is also the softer approach like banning him from the internet for a period of time. This already applies to certain certain offenders in the UK and something that we will see a lot more of once personal online e_ signatures are imposed.

That would stop him doing it again but not punish him.

• Advertisement

There is apparently a law in UK making it a crime to transmit electronically or otherwise material which is considered offensive.

Material is considered offensive not on how the creator meant it, but how it is perceived, just like say sexual harrassment.

Guy "jokingly" comments to girl about size of her boobs. Girl takes offence and reports guy for sexual harassment. Guy charged with sexual harrassment.

Doesn't matter that he says he meant it as a joke. It is how the remark was perceived that counts.

There is a punishment associated with this crime.

Truly horrifying.

From Twitter... should Frankie Boyle be jailed?

frankieboyle
    Jimmy Savile did an incredible amount of charity work towards the end of his life, just to be sure he could shag Madeleine McCann in heaven.
    01/10/2012 11:15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

What was he jailed for? What law did he break? This is absolutely ridiculous.
    Melion wrote: »
    How the hell can someone get jailed for that? What in the name of christ was he charged with?
    sending by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive.

A similar law exists in this country by the way..
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    If Public opinion decides sentences then the whole judicial system is worthless

Try people by Law not Opinion

He was tried by the law.. See above.

Who exactly .....

That's a matter of opinion surely?? Depends on the 'depth' of the offense and how personal it is. I might laugh at the jokes, you might have a little giggle, but how do you think that Aprils family and friends would feel? I know that if I were directly involved I'd probably want to strangle the little scrote!

Yes, but this guy was guilty of trolling and, to a degree, abuse. Although abuse is a very subjective term. As many have already said, where do we draw the line? What I find offensive, may not be offensive to you. What you find offensive, may not be offensive to me. It all depends on your opinions, your emotional conditioning, your spiritual or religious beliefs amongst many other factors. How can you possibly legislate for that subjectively? Anyway, I'm mostly paraphrasing Steve Hughes. He put it better than I ever could.

As for incitement to hatred - that's a very different thing and it is a crime as far as I'm aware. This guy wasn't guilty of that.

It's not nonsense. People should be entitled to freedom of speech. Even if that makes them sick weirdos, as long as they're not actually causing irreparable damage or inciting hatred or violence, then people can say what they want. In fact, I find people who say otherwise offensive. But hey, they're entitled to say it.

To a limited degree only though IMO. For instance, the charter here says attack the post and not the poster, and rightly so. Otherwise I can call anybody on here a w****** or whatever just because I don't like their opinion or a thread gets heated. Then all hell breaks lose and the whole site eventually falls down. Therefore there has to be some rules and some sense of decency, just as the same has to apply to society in general. Free speech is a myth in most cases. There has to be limits depending on circumstances.

I don't find it melodramatic. Some kid's just been jailed (apparently) for being a complete f**king idiot. If being an idiot was a criminal offense at 19 years old, I'd probably have done some hard time by now. Not that I was ever as much of an idiot as this f**king idiot. But I still don't think he deserved to be jailed.

No. It's not. It's fascism. People can think and say whatever they want, no matter how distasteful, provided they're not a threat to people or society.

Just random quotes from across the thread but getting the general gist of things.

As a matter of interest, how many of those that think free speech should be allowed unpunishable on the internet also think that cyber bullying is ok?

This whole thing might bring some people to think of who they might be offending or hurting before they type, which would be no bad thing IMO.

frankieboyle
    Jimmy Savile did an incredible amount of charity work towards the end of his life, just to be sure he could shag Madeleine McCann in heaven.

Maybe Frankie will end up in prision if Maddies parents and relatives reported this muppet for these "jokes" and I for one would not weep for the clown.

His joke would have been just as unfunny if it went "Jimmy Savile did an incredible amount of charity work towards the end of his life, just to be sure he could shag Madeleine McCann young kids in heaven."

He can still get his dig in at JS (the alledged perpatrator) without dragging Maddie (the victim) into it and possibly causing more emotional hurt/distress to Maddies family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

frankieboyle

Personally can't stand the bloke but each to their own.

I think rather than be jailed he should be fined a decent whack every time he tweets - joke or no joke!!

All of his jokes are offensive - take away the offensive ones and he's left with nothing. However, you generally have to pay to go to see him or chose to do so of your own volition. Likewise, you can chose to follow him on twitter and you know what to expect. That's entirely different to 'offending public decency' if it's aimed at a particular group of people, in his case his fans.

i disagree. Aprils story was international. It was a very emotional and sensitive subject. His words will have hurt a lot of people. He caused upset to a lot of people, including the judge perhaps. Maybe he was made an example of but nothing happened which he did not bring on himself.

Who did his words hurt? You're working off supposition here. He wasn't jailed because anyone in particular claimed to have been hurt or harmed in any way by his comments.

The fact that the story was international and emotional for some people is moot. Lots of people get emotional and sensitive over many different things. If the legal yardstick is going to be based on how many people are emotionally attached to or sensitive about something then we're royally fcuked.

You say that free speech has its limits.. well what exactly are they? How many offended nambys does it take for something to be viewed as criminal in nature?

Free speech does extend to causing people to feel offended. This has already been established in European law.
    The Court's supervisory functions oblige it to pay the utmost attention to the principles characterising a "democratic society". Freedom of expression constitutes one of the essential foundations of such a society, one of the basic conditions for its progress and for the development of every man. It is applicable not only to "information" or "ideas" that are favorably received or regarded as inoffensive or as a matter of indifference, but also to those that offend, shock or disturb the State or any sector of the population. Such are the demands of that pluralism, tolerance and broadmindedness without which there is no "democratic society".

http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/sites/eng/pages/search.aspx?i=001-57499

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handyside_v_United_Kingdom

People may have been offended by what he said, but he wasn't harassing or causing harm to any individual.

Maybe Frankie will end up in prision if Maddies parents and relatives reported this muppet for these "jokes" and I for one would not weep for the clown.

His joke would have been just as unfunny if it went "Jimmy Savile did an incredible amount of charity work towards the end of his life, just to be sure he could shag Madeleine McCannyoung kids in heaven."

He can still get his dig in at JS without dragging Maddie into it and possibly causing emotional hurt to Maddies family.

Okay. So do you think causing emotional hurt to someone should carry a custodial sentence? I'm genuinely curious about this. Because, if emotional abuse becomes a criminal offense, it will change society beyond recognition.

For example, reality shows where people are criticised and publicly humiliated would need to be outlawed. People who emotionally abuse their partners or spouses would be criminals. Of course emotional abuse would need to be defined (the man/woman who is cold towards his/her wife/husband, the woman/man who refuses to be physically intimate with their boyfriend/girlfriend, the idiot on the internet who says hurtful and disgusting things about the victim of a completely different crime, etc, etc, etc)

You want to legislate for hurtful idiots, trolls and emotional abusers? Okay, I'm game for that. I actually nearly would be. But unfortunately we'll never live in such a utopian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

50 people? I wonder how many of them were genuinely aggrieved and how many were just scum looking to do someone else harm? Have they been charged for attempted assault, breach of the peace or general thuggery? Getting 12 weeks in prison for a joke is a ****ing disgrace. I hope our crowd have some cop on and don't start following along this bull**** line and pandering to the permanently outraged. Convictions will be handed out by the Daily Mail next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Good point, well made :rolleyes:

hey , i do what i can , thanks for the support :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

maddie jokes are always well received here, i bet some of those same people who thanked those jokes are glad this guy went to jail. gotta love AH

• Advertisement

Personally can't stand the bloke but each to their own.

Personally I think he's hilarious. Or at least I used to before he got a stale. Then again, I'm not easily offended. His jokes about rape and stuff made me laugh because they were funny and well delivered. Do I think rape is funny? No, of course I don't. Do I think jokes about rape are funny? Yes, sometimes. That's the difference between having a sense of humour and being a painful, politically correct bore. I can tell the difference between a rapist and someone telling a joke about rape (no matter how offensive the crime of rape actually is).

In our Americanised, overly-PC society, many people will tell you you're as bad as a rapist for laughing at a harmless rape joke. Frankly, I love watching these emotionally unstable morons express their outrage. Because that's what they are. Morons, unstable and completely out of touch with reality and even their own humanity. Not being able differentiate between real life crime and humour must be indicative of some kind of emotional instability.

As for the case in hand. The guy is an idiot. He's not Frankie Boyle. He's not funny. He was just offensive and unfunny. But that's it. I doubt he's a danger to society. WTF is he doing in jail?

Okay. So do you think causing emotional hurt to someone should carry a custodial sentence? I'm genuinely curious about this. Because, if emotional abuse becomes a criminal offense, it will change society beyond recognition.

Kids are being driven to commit suicide because of stuff their peers write about them online. This is cyber bullying/emotional abuse

Do I think it should carry a custodial sentence? Damn sure I do.

For the record, I would not class one partner being cold towards the other or witholding intimacy as emotional abuse, but more the signs of an unhealthy relationship.

The crap that Justin Lee Collins was convicted of putting his girlfriend through was emotional abuse, and IMHO he was rightly charged for this.

In your opinion was he hard done by? Maybe he was only "Joking"

Who did his words hurt? You're working off supposition here. He wasn't jailed because anyone in particular claimed to have been hurt or harmed in any way by his comments.

The fact that the story was international and emotional for some people is moot. Lots of people get emotional and sensitive over many different things. If the legal yardstick is going to be based on how many people are emotionally attached to or sensitive about something then we're royally fcuked.

You say that free speech has its limits.. well what exactly are they? How many offended nambys does it take for something to be viewed as criminal in nature?

Free speech does extend to causing people to feel offended. This has already been established in European law.

http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/sites/eng/pages/search.aspx?i=001-57499

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handyside_v_United_Kingdom

People may have been offended by what he said, but he wasn't harassing or causing harm to any individual.

How about her family? Or all those people out looking for her?

He wasn't jailed because he upset someone. He was jailed because his actions resulted in a breach of the peace. That is one of the limits placed on free speech. Ireland is even stricter. See section 7 of the Public Order Act.

Kids are being driven to commit suicide because of stuff their peers write about them online. This is cyber bullying/emotional abuse

Fair enough.
    For the record, I would not class one partner being cold towards the other or witholding intimacy as emotional abuse, but more the signs of an unhealthy relationship.

Wrong. What if one person is a good, decent person and the other just refuses intimacy because of, say, in-built malevolence or an insidious personality disorder?

The point is, and the same goes for you above point about teenage bullying, that it's very hard to define and legislate for emotional abuse.
    The crap that Justin Lee Collins was convicted of putting his girlfriend through was emotional abuse, and IMHO he was rightly jailed for this.

Don't know about that case. Will have to look it up.

Do you think he deserved to be put in jail for being an offensive and disgusting idiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Personally I think he's hilarious. Or at least I used to before he got a stale. Then again, I'm not easily offended. His jokes about rape and stuff made me laugh because they were funny and well delivered. Do I think rape is funny? No, of course I don't. Do I think jokes about rape are funny? Yes, sometimes. That's the difference between having a sense of humour and being a painful, politically correct bore. I can tell the difference between a rapist and someone telling a joke about rape (no matter how offensive the crime of rape actually is).

In our Americanised, overly-PC society, many people will tell you you're as bad as a rapist for laughing at a harmless rape joke. Frankly, I love watching these emotionally unstable morons express their outrage. Because that's what they are. Morons, unstable and completely out of touch with reality and even their own humanity. Not being able differentiate between real life crime and humour must be indicative of some kind of emotional instability.

As for the case in hand. The guy is an idiot. He's not Frankie Boyle. He's not funny. He was just offensive and unfunny. But that's it. I doubt he's a danger to society. WTF is he doing in jail?

becasue sky news and the daily mail said he should - and the judge duly obliged - That is how it works in the UK - trail by media

reminds me of the murder case where the landlord was arrested but was found innocent - but the media hung this guy out to dry - they loved it , sweaty land lord kills tenant - they LOVE trying to make a example of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

At least he'll have plenty of prison rape jokes to add to his repertoire when he gets out.

Stark wrote: »
    At least he'll have plenty of prison rape jokes to add to his repertoire when he gets out.

Yeah. Or maybe he'll be so unstable by the time he leaves jail that he'll actually rape someone. Or murder someone. Or whatever. :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The crap that Justin Lee Collins was convicted of putting his girlfriend through was emotional abuse, and IMHO he was rightly jailed for this.

Saying something you actually mean and telling a joke are completely different. I think Frogmarch put it partiularly well above, it's being smart enough to see the difference between someone trying (failing in the case of this lad) to be funny and someone actually saying something they actually mean or condone.

Go read the oatmeal, cyanide & happiness or watch an episode of south park. THey're bloddy hilarious(imo obviously, not everyone's cup of tea tbf) but I don't think for a second the writers of any of them condone a lot of the stuff they're joking about.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Go read the oatmeal, cyanide & happiness or watch an episode of south park. THey're bloddy hilarious(imo obviously, not everyone's cup of tea tbf) but I don't think for a second the writers of any of them condone a lot of the stuff they're joking about.

This is precisely it. None of us have a right to tell people how to think, what to joke about or what's off limits in terms of our own sense of humour. There are laws in place to prevent incitement to hatred and violence and, quite obviously, there are laws which are in place to prevent actual crime. But to tell people they can't talk about it, trivialize it or try and be humorous about certain topics is an out and out attack on freedom of speech.

Most people who cross the line between humour and decency are generally ostracised and thought of as complete idiots. That's punishment enough considering they haven't actually damaged society.

He wasn't jailed because he upset someone. He was jailed because his actions resulted in a breach of the peace. That is one of the limits placed on free speech. Ireland is even stricter. See section 7 of the Public Order Act.

So because a mob of scum turned up his door threatening violence over a bad joke, he's at fault? Sounds logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

If Britain is veering towards being a fascist state, wouldn't people be out protesting? Trying to stop it? The UK prime minister does not seem like the dictator type.
    Re only material that harms others being that which warrants punishment: where should the line be drawn? Would cruel and tasteless in light of a missing/murdered child not be deemed harmful? Not saying prison is warranted at all but there's too much reference to a freedom of speech, which is mythical in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Crucify him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There's nothing wrong with Islamophobia. Being a Muslim is a lifestyle choice, not a permanent condition like Downs syndrome or autism. Muslims ARE NOT A RACE and should be open to criticism. This pussy-liberal attitude is the reason why that Norwegian guy went nuts and killed a load of future left wingers. This will happen in Britain and I look forward to it, the West needs a wake-up call and stop suppressing its own people just to appease Muslims, ethnics and multiculturalists.

People preach hate towards Christians all the time but as soon as it's done to Muslims, it's a big problem. The left wing in the West is always criticizing Christianity and you don't see Christians holding effigies.

Savage and the Dutch politician didn't preach hate, they said they hate Islam, not Muslims. I am of the same opinion, I hate the religion, not the people.

ALL religions should be open to criticism.

You're getting a bit confused.

Muslims are adherents of Islam. You can't (well, you can) say you hate Islam and not Muslims - they are one and the same thing. That's like saying you hate Catholicism but not the exponents of Catholicism, Catholics. People are the religion especially if they are practicing the religion and not just mouthpieces.

Madam_X wrote: »
    If Britain is veering towards being a fascist state, wouldn't people be out protesting? Trying to stop it? The UK prime minister does not seem like the dictator type.
    Re only material that harms others being that which warrants punishment: where should the line be drawn? Would cruel and tasteless in light of a missing/murdered child not be deemed harmful? Not saying prison is warranted at all but there's too much reference to a freedom of speech, which is mythical in the first place.

Okay, fair enough. But where should the line be drawn. In this case, it's as disgusting and depraved as you can get and the guy is a complete scumbag. Or perhaps he's just a young misguided idiot? Or perhaps he's mentally ill and needs help? I mean... how can we all be so quick to judge?

Again though - I'm not sure how genuine this who case is. I find it hard to believe that it's actually true and not a media invention to try and prevent this type of thing. Once again, I shall grab my tinfoil hat.

• Advertisement

Not to wider society, no. It's not an offence to offend someone's sensibilities. It's also worth remembering that it's almost certain that her parents heard about this through the media. Instead of leaving well enough alone, they felt the need to stoke the moral outrage of the moronic to sell more of their ****roll to idiots. This joke has no bearing on the outcome of the girl's case. Anyone with a shred of intelligence could tell this was an attempt at humour, there's no incitement to hate anyone or cause harm to anyone in what he said. Those that couldn't tell this was humour, or an attempt at it, also shouldn't be allowed to get away with their Neanderthal ways of justice. We shouldn't be letting society's lowest common denominator dictate what is and isn't admissable as humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Google "british assault suspended sentence" and read some of the first page results stories and then tell me this guy deserved jail time.

He was an insensitive idiot and stupid to boot for posting on his facebook but he does not deserve jail. This is a slippery slope.

The law is a mob-pandering ass. Self-satisified tabloid readers back slapping each other on a job well done while awaiting the next story they can get outraged about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4719364.stm

The same ilk. Morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Meanwhile, Justin Lee Collins gets 120 hours community service for harassing his girlfriend for months.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/09/justin-lee-collins-guilty-harassing

It seems the UK courts prefer handing out custodial sentences to those who tell offensive jokes :rolleyes:

token101 wrote: »
    So because a mob of scum turned up his door threatening violence over a bad joke, he's at fault? Sounds logical.

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I don't agree with the rationale behind his sentence however given that there was a lynch mob hunting maybe he's better off in prison. He gets a safe place to hide until the fuss over his actions die down and the idiot squad get a chance to cool down and feel that they have achieved something without actually doing him any physical harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If posting offensive things on the internet is now a crime, why aren't those who own Sickipedia in prison?

After all, he read it there, and reposted it, so how come he did something wrong but they didn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

NIMAN wrote: »
    If posting offensive things on the internet is now a crime, why aren't those who own Sickipedia in prison?

After all, he read it there, and reposted it, so how come he did something wrong but they didn't?

The only reason things happened as they did because he posted it publically on facebook, as himself.

But of course if it was posted on here. User would probably be banned. That would be it.

• MagicSean wrote: »

So you post something on Boards people don't agree with and 50 people go to your house and start throwing bricks through your windows and making death threats - would you be happy to go to jail? If not, you're a massive hypocrite. I'm pretty sure that if I were to go through all your internet posts and everything you'd ever said in public, I'd find something offensive.

Do you really think mob rule is the way to go? Why don't we start burning people at the stake while we're at it?
    CJC999 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no sympathy for him, in fact..Fuck him, he doesn't deserve his freedom. He thought he was a smart arse making sick jokes about missing and presumably dead children, so fuck him.

Yes because an ill-advised joke definitely means you deserve 3 months in prison. :rolleyes: Bit of a perspective failure there, when people commit GBH, arson and other serious crimes and get off with a slap on the wrist or a bit of community service.

IMO, anyone who seriously thinks a JOKE posted on someone's own Facebook page should result in a jail sentence has serious issues of their own to address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yes I absolutely do know, because my kids are not raised to be insensitive idiots, simple. I'm an attentive parent & doubt they will manage to become that in my back either, if that was ever a possibility.

Are you insinuating that parents of children who make stupid jokes raised their kids to be insensitive? That they are not attentative?

It's very possible that they will turn out to be the complete opposite of what you intended.

There's absolutely no possible way for you to tell how your children will end up. You have no way of telling what personalities they will have when they are older.

I have witnessed this so many times before, "My little lad is such an angel"... it's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Disingenuous to say it's merely something people disagree with, and a joke - subjective. Prison though - really crazy.

• Are you insinuating that parents of children who make stupid jokes raised their kids to be insensitive? That they are not attentative?

It's very possible that they will turn out to be the complete opposite of what you intended.

There's absolutely no possible way for you to tell how your children will end up. You have no way of telling what personalities they will have when they are older.

I have witnessed this so many times before, "My little lad is such an angel"... it's hilarious.

Indeed.

And let's not forget that jokes are jokes. Some of the nicest, soundest, kindest people I know in the world have the most shocking sense of humour. Paedophile jokes are not uncommon in my circle of friends. Do I think for one minute that any of them would harm a child? No. In fact, it's the people I know who go out of their way to be offended by everything who are actually the worst people in reality. People who live for appearances and wouldn't lift a finger to help you if you had a problem.
    Disingenuous to say it's merely something people disagree with, and a joke - subjective. Prison though - really crazy.

Yes, jokes are subjective. If you don't find it funny, you don't laugh. If it's really bad, you might challenge the person and ask for an apology. You don't report the joke teller to the police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 tom.padraig

Lets see how much of a troll he is when the screws on Cellblock H snigger and let the other inmates know why he is in prison.

Lets see how much of a troll he is when the screws on Cellblock H snigger and let the other inmates know why he is in prison.

Yeah, the righteous & upstanding members of society that they are. I'm sure they'll teach that silly teenager a lesson in telling jokes.

No. In fact, it's the people I know who go out of their way to be offended by everything who are actually the worst people in reality.

^ That. That is the reality of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 tom.padraig

This guy will be remembered for decades by his family, friends maybe even his own grand children for his voile comments that gave him 14 days in jail.

Like all trolls empty vessels trying to make the most noise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement