Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand - Where to go/What to do

• 09-10-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Going to Thailand in January. Fly into Bangkok on 15th. Plan on staying in Thailand until 31st January then flying on to Melbourne.

Where would people recommend to go to in terms of the Islands etc?

What are the must see places to go to?

How much would you reckon would be needed in spending money for say the 16 days? we intend to live in relative comfort, not spending a fortune but staying in decent places if possible.

Is 16 days enough to see a fair bit of the country?

Myself and girlfriend going so if you could keep that in mind with replies that would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

The islands are absolutely gorgeous, but [in my opinion, with the exception of Phi Phi] are very similar.
    The islands I'd recommend would be Phi Phi, Koh Lanta (very quiet), Ko Somui, Koh Phangan (full moon).
    I loved Thailand, but felt the North was better and a lot different than anywhere I'd been before. The islands could well be anywhere.
    Tripadviser is very good for pointing out the best places to go and see.
    It's a great country, no doubt you'll have a mighty time!
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Diddlydoubt

CLARiiON wrote: »
    The islands are absolutely gorgeous, but [in my opinion, with the exception of Phi Phi] are very similar.
    The islands I'd recommend would be Phi Phi, Koh Lanta (very quiet), Ko Somui, Koh Phangan (full moon).
    I loved Thailand, but felt the North was better and a lot different than anywhere I'd been before. The islands could well be anywhere.
    Tripadviser is very good for pointing out the best places to go and see.
    It's a great country, no doubt you'll have a mighty time!
    Enjoy

thanks for the reply.

How long would you recommend to spend in each of the different islands?

we would like to get to a few different places in our 16 days.

what would a typical route look like from bangkok through the various islands, say spending 2 days per place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'd also recommend the north, it was my favourite part of Thailand. Ayutthaya was a highlight, as was Kanchanaburi (Bridge on the River Kwai) and the surrounding areas. We skipped Chang Mai in favour of spending more time on Koh Samui with a relative, that was huge mistake on our part. Koh Samui, as mentioned in another thread, is like Tenerife except with Thai people and Thai food. I'd suggest skipping it but you go there to get to Koh Phanang and also Ang Thong national park, which is truly awesome.

Just a couple of days in any one place should be enough.

I can't advise on anything else though, we went about the whole trip the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Here is a full breakdown of what I did.. Id go back in the morning

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79617719&postcount=84

cronin_j wrote: »
    Here is a full breakdown of what I did.. Id go back in the morning

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79617719&postcount=84

thats brilliant thanks for that.

So you recommend Ko Phi Phi then as a must see and do?

I was thinking maybe spend 1 night in Bnagkok and then move on. Where do people generally move to next after Bangkok?

I intend to go to Ko Phi Phi for a few days, Ko Phangan for the full moon party and maybe Ko Samui too.

Any other recommended islands to visit along the way?

• Advertisement

thats brilliant thanks for that.

I was thinking maybe spend 1 night in Bnagkok and then move on. Where do people generally move to next after Bangkok?

Mad, nearly everyone I speak to says get in and out of Bangkok as quick as you can.
    Why?
    I spent 2 days initially but loved the place, and at the end of the holiday we made time to spend another 2 days there.
    just felt the place was like nothing I'd seen before ... great buzz about the place. My point, don't be too quick to get outta there!

CLARiiON wrote: »
    Mad, nearly everyone I speak to says get in and out of Bangkok as quick as you can.
    Why?
    I spent 2 days initially but loved the place, and at the end of the holiday we made time to spend another 2 days there.
    just felt the place was like nothing I'd seen before ... great buzz about the place. My point, don't be too quick to get outta there!

to be honest the reason is because of the feedback i have seen and read from other people.

also another contributing factor is that we are moving on to melbourne at the end of january, so i will obviosuly be spending plenty of time in built up city in australia and would much prefer to go to the islands where it is totally unique compared to any place i will have been before.

in other words while every big city is different, the islands are something i may only experience once so would rather spend more time there than in bangkok.

is that a reasonable assessment?

We managed to collide our two night stay in Bangkok with Bhudda day (actually 2 days) where no booze is allowed sold anywhere in the city at all. Total buzzkill!

to be honest the reason is because of the feedback i have seen and read from other people.

also another contributing factor is that we are moving on to melbourne at the end of january, so i will obviosuly be spending plenty of time in built up city in australia and would much prefer to go to the islands where it is totally unique compared to any place i will have been before.

in other words while every big city is different, the islands are something i may only experience once so would rather spend more time there than in bangkok.

is that a reasonable assessment?

haha..sounds like you know what youre doing regarding Bangkok so.

For me I spent a few days in Bangkok, then got the train up to Chiang Mai [14hrs, [flights are available, and cheap]
    In Chiang Mai I did a trek and if youre going for 16days, it could be well worth a think. You get to see a piece of Thailand that is authentic. The south could be anywhere [imo]
    The Trek we did allowed us to see the Karen [Long neck] tribe, trek through the jungle, elephant rides, white water rafting, bamboo rafting, meeting/drinking/eating with locals.
    After that we drove up to the place called Pai - real bohemian, laid back kinda place.
    If youre thinking about headin south only, the link above supplied by cronin_j is very good and well detailed.
    hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭DenMan

Enjoy your time OP. I'm moving there next Spring to teach. Never in Thailand before. Really looking forward to it. Have a great time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I love Bangkok, on our last trip we did 5 days Bangkok, 5 days Hua Hin (about 90 mins by road from Bangkok, it's the royal resort, the queen visited our hotel when we were there) and 5 in Chiang Mai. Loved it all. Hua Hin was our relaxation phase as we did loads of stuff in the other cities.

Had previously done Bangkok and Pattaya. I do NOT recommend Pattaya, the sleaziest place I have ever been.

Depending on your time in Bangkok there's so much to do. I highly recommend the DK Eyewitness Guide Books as the best out there, really helpful. If you are spending several days there I would recommend a trip to the aquarium, not something synonymous with Thailand but it's stunning! Worth doing when you've had your fill of temples and palaces ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Koh Samui, as mentioned in another thread, is like Tenerife except with Thai people and Thai food.

I hate seeing this. I was in Koh Samui in 2001 and it was not like this at all. The place was a paradise at the time and the food was out of this world. I don't want to go back and spoil the amazing impression I got of it.

It makes me so bloody sad. :(

Thanks for all the replies so far.

So many different views that it is hard to know what to do :).

Is Bangkok the best place for shopping etc? If we are flying out of Bangkok to Oz, we might be better leaving doing any shopping until we go back there for our flight on to oz, so as not to be carrying the stuff around with us for 2 weeks would we?

As we will be going on to Oz after Thailand, we are going to have suitcases and stuff with us on our way over. How will this impact as we travel around or are there relatively good security in place in the country that our belongings wont be stolen?

I am getting a better picture now of where to go. Bangkok for a couple of nights either when we land and maybe before we fly out to oz, ko phi phi, ko phangan, possibly ko samui, possibly up north.

any other islands recommended like Phuket or Ko Chang etc?

Is Bangkok the best place for shopping etc? If we are flying out of Bangkok to Oz, we might be better leaving doing any shopping until we go back there for our flight on to oz, so as not to be carrying the stuff around with us for 2 weeks would we?

As we will be going on to Oz after Thailand, we are going to have suitcases and stuff with us on our way over. How will this impact as we travel around or are there relatively good security in place in the country that our belongings wont be stolen?

A word of warning: when we returned from Bangkok customs were stopping people and searching bags.

Because of the aforementioned Buddha day, we'd picked up two dodgy dvds in a market and watched them in the hotel room at night. When leaving the hotel room I absent-mindedly threw them into my case instead of throwing them away. I'd also picked up a fake bag and a couple of t shirts.

When they searched my case they found the dvds. They took everything out of my case, inspected it and took anything they considered counterfeit aside to check it out, even a cheap but genuine pair of trainers I'd picked up in Tesco Lotus for a hill walking trip, and clothes I already owned. They eventually let me go with a severe ticking off, and that was only because I had so few counterfeit items. They said if I'd had any more that I'd have been looking at a fine.

Much like customs know to check people arriving in from Amsterdam for drugs, they know to check arrivals from Thailand for counterfeit goods. If you're going to be passing through a lot of customs, don't be carrying a bunch of counterfeit goods.

Whilst travelling you'll be given a key for all your rooms. Always use a safe to store your passports and extra cash. Just be sensible and you'll be fine. It's not awful for crime but I wouldn't take a chance either.
    So many different views that it is hard to know what to do

Well, it's a massive country with loads to see and do! One itinerary will never fit all.

But you can see that Bangkok, whether people liked it or not (I didn't) is a must-see. It's just up to you how much of it you can stand. It's unanimous that the north of Thailand is amazing and unmissable. I hear wonderful things about Chang Mai in the north but we never went. The islands are also something you have to experience but some of them are better than others. You can figure out which ones will suit you and your gf from other people's accounts os their experiences.

Pattaya is generally accepted to be the sleaziest place in Thailand and best avoided by anyone who isn't a sex tourist or heavily into drugs.

The best way to experience Thailand is to arrive there with minimal plans and a open mind and take it from there. Buy a guidebook, prebook a night or two in Bangkok (because you can get amazing deals online, we ended our trip with 2 nights in a 4* hotel suite for about 40 euro a night) and then you can pick up and head wherever the mood takes you. Travel, even internal flights, and accomodation are so cheap and plentiful and travel agents so common that you don't have to worry about pre booking.

Our trip was very badly planned but we know where we went wrong.

We arrived early in the am so we booked a hotel near the airport for a few hours kip, before picking up a hire car from the airport and driving to Ayuthayya for 2 nights. Then we went to Kanchanaburi for 2 nights before driving down the length of Thailand, stopping overnight at the narrowest part of the country in the deadest city I've ever been in. It was off season, true, but the massive hotel we chose was totally deserted, all of the entertainment rooms and the pool were shut and all of the local restaurants were closed. Dinner that night was chocolate and crisps from the 7-11.

We drove south to Koh Samui, dropping the car off at the docks, and then spent about eight days on this island staying with the relative we'd gone to visit. This is why our holiday was heavily weighted in that one spot, and it was a huge mistake. After 2 days we'd seen everything that there was to see there and we really should have travelled around more.

Then we flew from the most beautiful airport to Bangkok for 2 nights in the lap of luxury before flying home - only to discover that all the bars were shut and even our own hotel wouldn't sell us booze, unless we wanted to drink the minibar.

Where we went wrong: hiring a car, weighting the holiday for far too long in one place, not checking for public holidays before booking the last few nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thanks for all the replies so far.

So many different views that it is hard to know what to do :).

I am getting a better picture now of where to go. Bangkok for a couple of nights either when we land and maybe before we fly out to oz, ko phi phi, ko phangan, possibly ko samui, possibly up north.

any other islands recommended like Phuket or Ko Chang etc?

Back from Thailand a week now. Bangkok is the worst place for shopping I've ever been. No difference in price to home and most of it looked fake. We did 3 nights Bangkok, 4 nights Chiang mai (elephants, tigers etc) and 5 nights ko shumi. I thought it was perfect. Fishermans village in ko shumi is nice and less commercial than chaweng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Pattaya is generally accepted to be the sleaziest place in Thailand and best avoided by anyone who isn't a sex tourist or heavily into drugs.

Another huge generalisation about pattaya from someone that has never been there...

From my experience Pattaya is NOT the kind of place you would want to go if you are into drugs.

Police there regularly raid the night clubs and bars, they also have checkpoints setup most nights around the city where they perform pee tests to check for drug usage.

Foreigners are checked for drug usage same as the locals and a failed test means being banged up until moe conclusive (blood) tests are completed.

Yes pattaya is sleazy... but at the same time it is also quite a big city and has some very upmarket resorts and shopping centres there... it is also one of the easiest towns to get around with its songtaew taxi system

geecee wrote: »
    Another huge generalisation about pattaya from someone that has never been there...

Yeah, sorry for hurting your feelers. I'm sure it's lovely, really. :)

Yeah, sorry for hurting your feelers. I'm sure it's lovely, really. :)

You are not hurting any of my feelings...

It just annoys me when people slag off a place or pass on 4th hand truths as facts without actually ever having visited a place.

Pattaya may not be paradise - but its population to 300,000 people, ofwhoapprox 100,000 are ex-patriates, so i'm sure they don't appreciate your assertation that they must be heavily into drugs to be there!

I note you're not upset about the sex tourist allegations. Which is merely second hand observation. From sex tourists.

You admitted yourself it is sleazy, if I was wrong about the drugs then I apologise but you do seem terribly tetchy about my advice.

Still, I'm sure it's lovely. Got any advice for the OP?

Have many of you guys flown internally within Thailand?

I fly into Bangkok and I have been looking around at places to go to then,plan to stay a night or 2 in Bangkok at the start and maybe the same at the end before flying on to Melbourne.

I was looking at Chang Mai and it looks class but it seems as if we would lose a few nights travelling up and down to it on overnight trains. Would anybody recommend flying up to chang mai or alternatively travelling overnight up there from Bangkok and then flying from up there down towards the islands?

Definitely going to go to Ko Phi Phi for 3 or 4 nights and also to Ko Phangan for the full moon party. Would 1 night in Ko Phangan suffice at the full moon party or is there much else to do/see here? In 2 minds about Ko Samui also so would maybe 2 nights be enough here?

Any other islands around there people recommend? What about Ang Thong national park,is it worth a visit? Or is it worth going to Kanchanaburi or Ayutthaya whilst we are up in Bangkok? What about Phucket or Ko Tao/ko Lanta/Ko Chang, anything worthwhile going to see there?

Possibility of spending maybe 3 weeks in Thailand now so a bit more flexible about where we can go and how long we spend everywhere.

Would rather spend more time in somewhere really nice like Ko Phi Phi and miss out on somewhere less nice than go everywhere and not enjoy some places as much so maybe a "less is more" approach may be best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, fly use Bangkok airways fly Bangkok-Chiang mai-Phuket or samui, which ever suits, don't forget thailands islands are very commercialised phi phi islands are lovely but very busy gone are the days of having parts of the beach to yourself.....book your flights as soon as to get a decent price!

Here is a copy of an itinery i have had personalised.

What would people who have been to Thailand before make of this travel plan and do you think the price reflects value for money?

That's an excellent itinerary and yeah, it's pretty good value for money.

It seems myself and Lingua Franca are never going to agree on this thread!

I agree that its an excellent itinerary.... however i think you are trying to fit way too much into too small a time

Jan 16-Feb 4th is only 19 days and i think that this itinerary is over loaded with destinations for such a short trip

Also i disagree that its a fair price
    £1588 per person is €1950 per person in euro...

Considering that this price does not include flights to/from Thailand and there will presumably be 2 of you sharing... i think this is a very expensive itinerary

Remember that Thailand does not charge per person rates. they charge per room.

Most of the rooms mentioned are their "comfortable" rooms... expect to pay no more than 700-1000B per night per room for a hotel of this quality in Thailand (thats under €25)

Also there are only 3 flights on this trip Chiang Mai - Ko Samui,Samui - Phuket and Phuket - Bkk. These flights should account for no more than €400 per person of the costs... the rest is by local transport which costs peanuts...

if you don't have time to arrange your own trip... i would say this trip is ok. But for me it needs a location cull and could probably be self booked for half the price (and twice the adventure!)

Sorry Lingua... i am not trying to pickany fights... but you did ask me if i have any advice for the OP!

Ah, I didn't realise that the flights to Thailand weren't included. In that case it is pretty expensive. You could do it yourself and at your own pace for much, much less and not a terrible amount of effort.

And geecee, the reason we are differing is down to me omitting one tiny detail in an effort to be helpful... I absolutely hated Thailand and wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Yeah to be honest I put everything that i thought might be worth doing down just to get an idea of what sort of price i would get quoted back.

i know it seems to be a lot packed in to it and i will be looking to remove some of the stuff from it.

in all likelihood we will only get about 16 days in Thailand before we fly on to Melbourne and besides the price quoted is a good bit outside our budget.

it was more to get an idea of what sort of a travel plan we could draw up and what route we could take, and also to see what sort of price we would get quoted.

In terms of what what to cut out, I dont think we will bother with the temples & tuk-tuks/the river & the railway and possibly even leave out chiang mai too. phi phi sounds amazing and id prefer to maybe spend the extra few days there than to be racing around trying to fit everything in.

What from the itinerary would you guys recommend removing or what would be must-dos?

Ayutthaya isn't very far from Bangkok and is really interesting, like a kind of Angkor Wat in a city. Even though it is temples, I would recommend that, even just for one night. You can hire you own tuk tuk.

I liked the river/railways in Kanchanaburi but then I like World War history.

Ang Thong is unmissable, in my opinion. This means a trip to Ko Samui or Panang. Time it right and you can make the full moon party on Panang. That will mean being on Panang for the night of the 26th of January.

I've not been to Chang Mai and that's my one regret. I wish we'd made the effort.

To be honest, almost anywhere you go you will be able to go on a day safari if you want to chill with elephants, or hire a tuk tuk by yourself to see temples. For example, we took a day trip on Ko Samui that started out with taking us to see some famous rock formations, then a temple with a dead monk in a glass case on display, then swimming in a waterfall, then we got to ride on elephants and see a crocodile show and cuddle some monkeys and baby tigers, then zipping through a jungle in a jeep up to a restaurant on a hilltop. All in one day. You wouldn't have to miss anything like that by not following that itinerary.

Don't be afraid to show up anywhere in Thailand without a hotel booking. There's plenty of dirt cheap accomodation. We got a beautiful cottage with a veranda on stilts out over the river Kwai for 8 euro a night.

Thailand has good tourist infrastructure, rock bottom pricing and plenty to see and do. All I can say is you'll definitely want to see Bangkok, at least one spot in the jungles of the North, and a few of the islands.

Judging by the price of onward flights to Melbourne from Bangkok, we are looking at flying out of Bangkok on Sunday 03/02/2013 as this date is the cheapest for getting a direct flight to Melbourne.

This would give us 19 days in Thailand as we arrive in Bangkok on 15/01/2013.

In terms of what type of budget would be required per person for 19 days what would be considered to be a reasonable budget?

I have spoken to friends who went to Thailand before and all they had booked prior to going was 2 nights in Bangkok and they booked the rest as they went along.

I can see the merit in this approach but I was looking at it from the perspective of if we had a rough idea of our travel plans for when we arrive in Thailand and if we booked some accomodation for certain places before we go that we would not be eating into our spending money whilst we are there. On the otherhand I am sort of wary of booking accomodation now from Ireland and maybe paying more from here than we would pay when we are actually over there in Thailand.

Did many of you book your accomodation in advance or did you just wing it when you got there and book things as you were going along?

I have a rough idea of where we will be at certain parts of our trip, for example, i know we will be in Bangkok for the 15th and 16th January, Phangan on 25th - 28th January, Phi Phi at some stage and also Bangkok on 2nd February. So i am wondering whether we should book some accomodation now whilst we are in Ireland and then when we are there we arent eating into our spending money.

We only booked a hotel on arrival, to get a few hours kip after landing (it was early in the morning in Thailand but we were hiring a car and correctly assumed we'd need some sleep before driving off) and a luxury hotel in Bangkok for the last two nights. The luxury hotel was a great deal for what it was, 45 euro a night for a frickin awesome suite, it was a briliant deal from a website than we'd have gotten it anywhere else, and was a great way to end the trip. But it was also about 4x what we paid for any other accommodation.

Unless you want the lap of luxury at every turn, you're honestly best just bringing that money with you and winging it. It's really not a big deal, winging it in Thailand.

Ok, I googled a wee bit for you. If you go to hotels.com and search for ko phanang on your given dates, there's a room for 68 euro in a 3 star spa resort. That kind of thing might be worth going for.

Maybe book some nights and wing others?

• Advertisement

Yeah i think booking some night for when we know where we will definitely be and then winging it might be the best option as if we book everyhting in advance it means we are very much tied down to that sort of itinerary.

Might look at booking a couple of nights in Bangkok on arrival and prior to departing for Oz, a couple in Ko Phangan around the time of the full moon party and then maybe a couple of nights in Ko Phi Phi too.

Thinking of maybe leaving out going to Chiang Mai now and just going to the Islands after the river and the railway trip outside Bangkok as I am not sure we will have the budget for doing it all.

Any recommendations of where to stay in Bangkok for the first 2 nights? Somewhere close to Khoa San Road ie. walking distance, comfortable hotel with a pool and decent value?

Likewise for Phi Phi/Ko Phangan and Ko Samui?

Any recommendations of where to stay in Bangkok for the first 2 nights? Somewhere close to Khoa San Road ie. walking distance, comfortable hotel with a pool and decent value?

I'm no help there, we stayed here: http://www.furamaxclusive.com/asoke/hoteloverview.php which is nowhere near Khao San road (but is close to the skytrain), didn't go to Phi Phi and stayed with a relative on Samui.

This is the place to hang out on Samui: http://www.ark-bar.com/ but it didn't look the nicest for staying in and gets a lot of through traffic going to the bar. The various hotels and resorts on either side of this looked great, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firemouth

stayed here for a couple of days http://www.agoda.ie/asia/thailand/koh_phangan/santhiya_koh_phangan_resort_spa.html?asq=3NEBPFpsCOe6D8QBus6Pmw9FyrALvGJjSUdxcElOVMy2UJZeNbvJJGrRCNpMq8PYj
    I know its a little pricey but agoda offer huge reductions and its an absolutely fab spot,if its a party atmosphere your looking for then this is not it but if its luxury,rest and relaxation then you wont find better.There is a little village nearby with cheap restaurants,bars and a couple of shops if you want to go for a wander or you can just stay on the resort,which is a little pricey but it is five star after all.The strawberry mojitos are the best ive ever had!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We stayed in Rambuttri Village Inn, it's on Rambuttri Road, 1 block from Khao San Rd. It's about 18 Euro a night for 2, rooms are clean and comfortable, air con and a rooftop pool. There's no shelves in the room, just hanging space and a desk and stool. It was perfect for us just for 2 nights, cos that's how long we stayed as well. The staff is friendly and its really close to bars and restaurants.

Gatica wrote: »
    We stayed in Rambuttri Village Inn, it's on Rambuttri Road, 1 block from Khao San Rd. It's about 18 Euro a night for 2, rooms are clean and comfortable, air con and a rooftop pool. There's no shelves in the room, just hanging space and a desk and stool. It was perfect for us just for 2 nights, cos that's how long we stayed as well. The staff is friendly and its really close to bars and restaurants.

How long would it take you to walk the 1 block from this hotel to Khoa San Road? When you say its close to bars/restaurants, is it these main places on Khoa San Road you refer to?

Is that €18 per night in total or €18 each for the rooms?

Like the sound of the rooftop pool.

• Advertisement

well we paid 36 Euro for 2 night for 2 of us total. Breakfast was not included, but Thai breakfast is not for me anyway. Not sure what price is like for single room. When I say 1 block, I mean a very short stroll, like 5 mins away.

There's a Starbucks on the main road, which did me well, as in the mornings I like more familiar foods, like coffee and croissant.
    You come out of the hotel/guesthouse, and turn left, and you right away have 2-4 stalls, and then couple of open-side restaurants where they sell reasonable food and drinks (pricier than local food, cheaper than tourist prices elsewhere). Check it out on google maps.
    After the restaurants you come out on the main road, turn right, go about 100m, turn left, and you're on Khao San road.

Street view can give you a fairly good idea of the place.

well we paid 36 Euro for 2 night for 2 of us total. Breakfast was not included, but Thai breakfast is not for me anyway. Not sure what price is like for single room. When I say 1 block, I mean a very short stroll, like 5 mins away.

There's a Starbucks on the main road, which did me well, as in the mornings I like more familiar foods, like coffee and croissant.
    You come out of the hotel/guesthouse, and turn left, and you right away have 2-4 stalls, and then couple of open-side restaurants where they sell reasonable food and drinks (pricier than local food, cheaper than tourist prices elsewhere). Check it out on google maps.
    After the restaurants you come out on the main road, turn right, go about 100m, turn left, and you're on Khao San road.

Street view can give you a fairly good idea of the place.

Cool, that looks good enough to me. On a tight enough budget so somewhere in close proximity to the main places in Bangkok will do fine with decent comfort and the rooftop pool sounds good too.

Not bothered on the breakfast myself so happy enough to go with just the room only.

It would be a double room I would be looking for anyway as my other half is going too. What type of room did you get? Much more in cost to get a better standard room?

Also did you book when you landed in Bangkok or before you left?

booked through booking.com before leaving, which has a cancellation policy and you pay on check-in at the hotel plus a 1000B refundable deposit. However, I did see people arriving and just asking for a room though. They have a shortage of single rooms on arrival, but you don't care about that. I think they have plenty of doubles though.
    Not sure if they do better rooms, we just got the standard one I think.

booked through booking.com before leaving, which has a cancellation policy and you pay on check-in at the hotel plus a 1000B refundable deposit. However, I did see people arriving and just asking for a room though. They have a shortage of single rooms on arrival, but you don't care about that. I think they have plenty of doubles though.
    Not sure if they do better rooms, we just got the standard one I think.

Great thanks for the info. Any restuarants/bars in Bangkok that youd recommend or stuff that you did?

DWhere else did you go after Bangkok?

Any recommendations for places to stay elsewhere?

Great thanks for the info. Any restuarants/bars in Bangkok that youd recommend or stuff that you did?

This is getting a bit bizarre. Bangkok is MASSIVE and packed to the rafters with restaurants and bars. Thailand is massive and filled with restaurants and bars. There's so very much to see and do and experience that micromanaging your holiday in advance right down to dinner and drinks is impossible and more than a bit daft. When you get there, you're gonna be kicking yourself (or at least blushing heavily) at asking for recommendations for bars and restaurants. I doubt anyone will remember the names or locations for many places, it's so bustling and busy. Everywhere is good, go and explore and enjoy yourself!

• Advertisement

We went to the bar/restaurant around the corner both times we were there. The drinks and food were nice enough and I liked the atmosphere. If you don't mind walking and eating there's lots of street vendors either at their stalls or moving around, really cheap food and pretty good for the most part. Regretted not exploring more of the fancier areas of Bangkok like Silom and Sukhumvit. Went to the Vertigo bar (rooftop bar on 59th floor) there, and was not that impressed. There's another one like it apparently, can't remember what it's called, so I'd check that out. It's really really overpriced and not that fancy, just pretentious and bordering on tacky. The one on the 52nd floor of same building was a bit nicer, looked better, better atmosphere and staff friendlier, same prices though.

That's good advice, just go and explore really... I thought there were many decent enough places to go eat and drink in the Khao San area. You won't be stuck. I'd skip the tripadvisor recommendations and just go with your gut feeling. We spent lots of time trying to track down recommended restaurants only to be disappointed. I much more enjoyed places that we popped into, especially the more "local" ones.
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Bangkok has good info on getting around and background of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yep, as people said, better off just walking around and finding a place you like and going in. It would be silly to waste time going out of your way to go to a specific bar or restaurant. :)

Better craic in the small, local places anyway.

LOL yep, it was. Not my idea though, so just went along with it. One place out of several turned out to be really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Thailand is just class. I travelled there last year for a few months. I kept a record in my blog if you wanted to have a look: www.nextstopwhoknows.com

Chiang mai has to be visited as well as the islands.

Thailand is just class. I travelled there last year for a few months. I kept a record in my blog if you wanted to have a look: www.nextstopwhoknows.com

Chiang mai has to be visited as well as the islands.

cool blog man. looks like you have the life of reilly lol.

When you stayed on koh phangan what was the name of the place you stayed in(seen the pics but dont think you mentioned the name of the place)?

We are going to the full moon party on 26th January and I am trying to get some accomadation booked now for this before we go.

I think we will move from Ko Phi Phi on 25th to either Koh Phangan/Ko Samui.

Is it worth spending a few days in both places or could we just stay in one of the places and travel across via boat to the whichever one we dont stay on for a couple of days in order to see it?

Would roughly 30,000 baht ie €800 be enough for about 15/16 days in Thailand?

The first 2 nights we are staying in Bangkok, we have received a present of a 2 night stay in a class hotel so we will not be paying for accomodation on 15/16 January.

Then plan on staying 2 more nights somewhere else in Bangkok before a night or 2 in Kanchanuburi. After that we plan to go to the Islands Phi Phi, Ko Samui and Ko Phangan before flying to Melbourne from Phuket on 31st January or 1st February.

It is me and my girlfriend going so we dont intend on mad all night drinking sessions etc apart from the full moon party. We intend on a balance of relatively comfortable accomodation and relaxing etc with some good food and drink thrown in for good measure.

At the moment besides our flights to Bangkok and our first 2 nights stay in a hotel in Bangkok we havent booked any other part of our trip or our flight on to Melbourne.

So I am trying to budget how much it would cost us while we are in thailand for say 16/17 days with the above itinerary and plan for spending our time there.

We will book our flight to OZ prior to going and probably 3 nights in Ko Phangan around the time of the full moon party so aside from that how much would we require for say paying for 13/14 nights accomodation while we are over there as well as our travel costs and daily expenses?

Advertisement