Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bloody Dog Owners

• 09-10-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I keep my bike parked tucked away under the outdoor stairs of the apartment I am renting. Not ideal but it is hidden away with a ground anchor installed so I could be in a worse position. No one is ever in around it apart from the odd child playing but they never go messing with it or anything so thats all grand.

The one thing that makes my blood boil lately is bloody dog dirt around my bike. Came home the other evening from work and there is dog dirt right were I park my bike. I didnt fancy getting it on my tyres or bending down beside it to lock the bike and put the cover on, so up I go to get a a fupping brush from my place to sweep it away so I can park my bike in. Took me twenty minutes to park up instead on 5 minutes.

And again tis morning more bloody dirt Grrr:mad::mad::mad:

Feel like bloody moving places so I can get a garage an lock it away, but we are only here a few months and the misses loves it so cant really move.

The annoying thing is that its a small complex and there is only one owner that has two dogs. I am 99% sure that it is her dogs doing the business but aint seen them do it so I am not sure.

Gotta try do something as its putting me in a bad mood before I take out the bike which is not good. Apart from the fact that she should be cleaning it up as its illegal not to, and also the hazard it creates for the playing children.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

sounds annoying alright, but dont tar us all with the same brush! (dog owners that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

No I dont mean all dog owners or all dogs in fact. Just ones leaving dog dirt in places they shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm a dog owner myself and it makes my blood boil when others don't clean up after their dogs - gives us all a bad rep!
    A neighbour's dog regularly uses our drive as a toilet :mad:
    Best tip I have is to sprinkle pepper or Jeyes Fluid around your parking place. Should sort the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jesus....imagine if you had cancer or something serious..

Dog owner ...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, chances are at least one other dog has pissed on or around your bike at some stage, which signals this as a facility to any dogs passing by.

I don't understand people not cleaning up after their dogs, especially on a path or otherwise where people would have to walk. It's the height of ignorance and slobbery.

There are things you can do to discourage dogs and mask the smell. Though be wary of any bleaches like Jeyes fluid as anything containing ammonia will make the problem a million times worse. Most general guides suggest washing the area with water, then vinegar, and then sprinkling a harsh spice around the area, like cayenne pepper. This should discourage most dogs from continuing to crap there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If you know who it is, have a word. Explain that with the evenings getting darker that you don't want to step in it or stick your hand in it fiddling with your lock in the dark. The dog owner probably lets the dog out for the toilet and he/she heads off to their usual spot (dogs are like that) and the dog owner may not even see where the dog is going to the toilet.

Dog owner ...;)

Yeah . . . Imagine that :rolleyes:

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, chances are at least one other dog has pissed on or around your bike at some stage, which signals this as a facility to any dogs passing by.

I don't understand people not cleaning up after their dogs, especially on a path or otherwise where people would have to walk. It's the height of ignorance and slobbery.

There are things you can do to discourage dogs and mask the smell. Though be wary of any bleaches like Jeyes fluid as anything containing ammonia will make the problem a million times worse. Most general guides suggest washing the area with water, then vinegar, and then sprinkling a harsh spice around the area, like cayenne pepper. This should discourage most dogs from continuing to crap there.

I have heard that a few times, might try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Do you know if its a neighbours pooch or a stray Brian? Do you head in alright....I would imagine Jeyes Fluid will do the job its strong stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Dog owner ...;)

And this post helps how?

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Do you know if its a neighbours pooch or a stray Brian? Do you head in alright....I would imagine Jeyes Fluid will do the job its strong stuff.

I cat be sure and dont wanna go accusing the wrong owner. I like dogs myself and am not someone who is against dogs or the type of person who minds if you dont pick up your dogs dirt.

But when its only a couple of feet from the dog owners own house, on a path where their own kids play its just wrong.

I will clean the place up and put some jeyes fluid down and after that try find out what dog it is.

Then have a nice chat with some biker buddies:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Problem with deterrents is that eventually they become less useful.

I know it's a pain but you could get some trellis, the one that opens/closes like an accordian, with an upright on either end and use it as a little fence. you could leave it there open when the bike is not there to stop dogs going under the stairs.

Bit more expense that you should not endure but a good liitle solution to your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

leppla wrote: »
    I keep my bike parked tucked away under the outdoor stairs of the apartment I am renting. Not ideal but it is hidden away with a ground anchor installed so I could be in a worse position. No one is ever in around it apart from the odd child playing but they never go messing with it or anything so thats all grand.

The one thing that makes my blood boil lately is bloody dog dirt around my bike. Came home the other evening from work and there is dog dirt right were I park my bike. I didnt fancy getting it on my tyres or bending down beside it to lock the bike and put the cover on, so up I go to get a a fupping brush from my place to sweep it away so I can park my bike in. Took me twenty minutes to park up instead on 5 minutes.

And again tis morning more bloody dirt Grrr:mad::mad::mad:

Feel like bloody moving places so I can get a garage an lock it away, but we are only here a few months and the misses loves it so cant really move.

The annoying thing is that its a small complex and there is only one owner that has two dogs. I am 99% sure that it is her dogs doing the business but aint seen them do it so I am not sure.

Gotta try do something as its putting me in a bad mood before I take out the bike which is not good. Apart from the fact that she should be cleaning it up as its illegal not to, and also the hazard it creates for the playing children.

Contact your landlord to get onto the Management company about dogs fouling the area around your apartment. Also give the local dog warden a call, for all the good it'll do as my Sister has called hers about a neigbour loads of times, to get it on record that someone's dog is fouling the development.
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    Problem with deterrents is that eventually they become less useful.

I know it's a pain but you could get some trellis, the one that opens/closes like an accordian, with an upright on either end and use it as a little fence. you could leave it there open when the bike is not there to stop dogs going under the stairs.

Bit more expense that you should not endure but a good liitle solution to your problem.

The OP is renting in a managed development, they may not be able to put the trellis up or if they do it could be pulled down. They'd need to get onto their Landlord to get permission from the management company

No need to attach it to anything,what I was trying to describe is this tellis with posts either side to hold it upright. Just a case of closing it to move it out of the way when you are at your bike. Then open it up as a fence to stop dogs getting into the area.

large_1_trb9_brown_expandable_trellis_0_9x1_8_by_greentree.jpg

I will clean the place up and get onto management informing them of the situation, and that I have cleaned up the place already an don't intend to do it again.

I am a bit calmer about the hole thing now. . . until it happens again LOL. But I am still gonna do my best to make it known in the complex that dog fouling will not be looked upon lightly.

P.C. wrote: »
    And this post helps how?

:rolleyes:

Get a poo bag and a note to the owner and leave it on yer footrest....sorted..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You might b better off using a commercial product , like this sort of thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-225g-Bayer-Pepper-Dust-Cat-Dog-Repellent-Deterrent-Ready-Use-/220934086031

in case the dog gets ill

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Having a word with the alleged owner doesn't have to mean f*cking her into the pits of hell...

Explain that you dunno if its her dogs or not but its preventing you from parking there and you have the anchor there so you can't move, chances are if you're nice about it she'll be all apologies

As mentioned earlier if it is her dogs theres a good chance she isn't even aware of the problem

Having a word with the alleged owner doesn't have to mean f*cking her into the pits of hell...

Explain that you dunno if its her dogs or not but its preventing you from parking there and you have the anchor there so you can't move, chances are if you're nice about it she'll be all apologies

As mentioned earlier if it is her dogs theres a good chance she isn't even aware of the problem

I would not call at her door and go off on a mad one ( The first time anyways :D) I would simply explain the situation as you suggested.

However I am reluctant to call to her door in case she takes exception to me insulting her dogs . . . .She goes off on one . . . . Setting me off on one :rolleyes:

You just cant ever predict how someone will react to you bringing a complaint to their doorstep.

I reckon you're ****ed either way with the dog owner. You can be polite as anything talking to them and they can politely tell you to **** off as it is not their dog, prove that it is! Or else they can go off on one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

leppla wrote: »
    I would not call at her door and go off on a mad one ( The first time anyways :D) I would simply explain the situation as you suggested.

However I am reluctant to call to her door in case she takes exception to me insulting her dogs . . . .She goes off on one . . . . Setting me off on one :rolleyes:

You just cant ever predict how someone will react to you bringing a complaint to their doorstep.

Ah, she's one of them so...yeah you're f*cked :pac:
    Sure all ya can do is ask her politely, if she goes off on a rant just leave and tell the management/landlord...it's their problem to fix it at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My Sister has a neighbour who lets their dog out to cr@p, it goes in areas where kids play. Numerous neighbours have confronted her and my Sister has called the dog warden loads of times. The dog still gets let out the door every day to....If someone is letting their dog out unattended they are well aware of the problem and just playing dumb as all animals produce waste and if they aren't cleaning it up so someone else is

Sorry for the rant

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mayo jonny

i have the problem of, i think its a neighbours dog, sh*ting in my driveway everyday. don't want to say anything because i haven't seen him for sure and they're not the kind of people i want to be giving out to. just wondering, is jeyes fluid harmful to car or tires on car? we dont have any space outside our driveway but dont want to risk getting this stuff on tires and splashed up onto bodywork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

what you need is a pellet gun. Then you have to wait until the dog comes back.

Wait until it craps on the ground and that is when you take aim.

Then you shoot the bolllix in the face.

(The owner that is) bloody annoys me that the owners don't pick up the mess.

Don't use peppers etc, it could make the dog ill. It's not his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Fit a bike cam discreetly on your bike and get video evidence of the dog and its owner,

Scoop it up and fuk it into their garden...i do that with our neighbours basterd cats crap.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

Scope it up,drop it at owners door. They'll get the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Tzardine wrote: »
    what you need is a pellet gun. Then you have to wait until the dog comes back.

Wait until it craps on the ground and that is when you take aim.

Then you shoot the bolllix in the face.

(The owner that is) bloody annoys me that the owners don't pick up the mess.

Don't use peppers etc, it could make the dog ill. It's not his fault.

'coz shooting the dog in the face is better than giving it a dose of the scutters with the pepper.......:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

serious3 wrote: »
    'coz shooting the dog in the face is better than giving it a dose of the scutters with the pepper.......:P

I suggested shooting the owner. Not the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Tzardine wrote: »
    I suggested shooting the owner. Not the dog.

Oh that alright then! :D

Advertisement