Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House insurance for when unoccupied and renovating

• 09-10-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to buy a house shortly and do renovation work which will take the guts of a year from design, getting planning permission, getting tenders, building work.

I need to get house insurance before I can get my mortgage issued. I rang AA and Allianz and neither have a policy for when house unoccupied.

Do I need to get a standard unoccupied insurance policy which seem to be available from other insurers? Does the renovation work make this hard to get? Is it a lot more expensive than started building (no need for contents?) insurance?

Whats the definition of unoccupied? If I stayed in the house once a week, is that considered occupied?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

bazwaldo wrote: »
    I'm hoping to buy a house shortly and do renovation work which will take the guts of a year from design, getting planning permission, getting tenders, building work.

I need to get house insurance before I can get my mortgage issued. I rang AA and Allianz and neither have a policy for when house unoccupied.

Do I need to get a standard unoccupied insurance policy which seem to be available from other insurers? Does the renovation work make this hard to get? Is it a lot more expensive than started building (no need for contents?) insurance?

Whats the definition of unoccupied? If I stayed in the house once a week, is that considered occupied?

To start with if you engage a builder under a standard building contract he will have to insure the property whilst it is under his control.

Unoccupied changes from insurer to insurer but generally if the property is unfurnished and has no-one living in it for a period of 30 consecutive days it would be classed as unocupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Is it a case that I must have a builder that will take the insurance over? Is this usual if the occupier moves out? I've rang a few places and getting insurance when there is renovation work is not as easy as I'd hoped. From the odd place that does do unoccupied insurance, getting a quote involves filling in a very detailed form and I'm been warned its expensive.

It seems that if you have a standard house policy, getting renovation work done can be done. Providing rules are nbt broken, maybe occupying the property occasionally will suffice and getting a standard policy. I think I'll have to read a few policy documents.

Advertisement