Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modern Apartments Dublin

• 09-10-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

Moving back to Dublin soon and on the lookout for somehwere to rent. Been looking for somewhere pretty tech ready..am used to having most media via internet so want to have that ongoing so fully wired for fast internet would be nice.

Ive seen 1821.ie and they are pretty damn nice, and expensive. Is there any more similar modern developments around town or on southside (dart or green luas)?

Been away for 2 years so unsure if theres a better place to look. I have looked on daft and its pretty depressing to see whats available at the moment. Dont want to pay over 1400 a month...rather should say thats an absolute top end...

Also wanted to install a motorised satellite dish, is this a no no most places you reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You don't mention apartment size? At that price I presume you're looking for a 2 bed or bigger?
    Also wanted to install a motorised satellite dish, is this a no no most places you reckon?

It's a clause in any apartment development I know of that you can't put up a dish. Often due to being a condition of the planning permission for the development in the first place. Some developments have communal dishes but in general, apartments mean no dishes. Doesn't stop some people putting them up in some places but you're drawing trouble and potential legal action on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ok..well will belay the dish and prob subscribe to one of the online versions for foreign tv. Thanks for that. Yes am looking at 2 bedrooms at least..heading back to dublin soon to view some also..but its bloomin hard to find decent places to look at..well unless you want to pay HUGE money...and I really thought going that high there would be some decent options....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A house might be a better idea if you want to install a satellite dish.
    Get one in an area that you can get UPC and ask the landlord about a satellite dish and you are sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Doop

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Get one in an area that you can get UPC and ask the landlord about a satellite dish and you are sorted

Side note.. UPC dont use satellite dishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moonbeam wrote: »

I don't see many house landlords being happy to let their tenants drill holes through external walls. It's been a clause of any houses I've rented that you don't drill the walls internally or externally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Doop wrote: »
    Side note.. UPC dont use satellite dishes

UPC for fast broadband, and satellite for TV. Pretty sure that is what Moonbeam had in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

athtrasna wrote: »
    I don't see many house landlords being happy to let their tenants drill holes through external walls. It's been a clause of any houses I've rented that you don't drill the walls internally or externally.
    ALL houses i rented had this clause, all i needed to do was ask a landlord for permission. Never refused.
    How do you think people get sky tv? All of them are owners?
    Having a dish on the roof is not a problem for landlord, even better if one tenant leaves it there - next one can use it without drilling again.

I had a 90cm motorised dish in my last apartment. LL had no issues as long as it was a prof job and was clean. He checked it and was happy. Anyway...it looks to be a long shot so will try for the fastest bb available and then get some voip tv box (I want to keep watching the romanian channels). Is UPC the moost widely available fast bb service in Dublin these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

I had a 90cm motorised dish in my last apartment. LL had no issues as long as it was a prof job and was clean.
    It might not be up to the landlord, the external walls are owned by the management company so check with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

CHECK what broadband is avaidable in each area ,before you rent ,
    some apartments have one option, eg upc, or other cable provider
    ,some have a sky communal dish on the roof.
    smart broadband is fast too ,see smarttelecom.ie,
    check download caps as well as speed for broadband

• Advertisement

yeh download caps are a big thin...am used to having none here...I kind of thought that they didnt have them in Ireland any more either (if on high speed tarrifs...

Will see, Thanks for info
    riclad wrote: »
    CHECK what broadband is avaidable in each area ,before you rent ,
    some apartments have one option, eg upc, or other cable provider
    ,some have a sky communal dish on the roof.
    smart broadband is fast too ,see smarttelecom.ie,
    check download caps as well as speed for broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Moving back to Dublin soon and on the lookout for somehwere to rent. Been looking for somewhere pretty tech ready..am used to having most media via internet so want to have that ongoing so fully wired for fast internet would be nice.

Ive seen 1821.ie and they are pretty damn nice, and expensive. Is there any more similar modern developments around town or on southside (dart or green luas)?

Been away for 2 years so unsure if theres a better place to look. I have looked on daft and its pretty depressing to see whats available at the moment. Dont want to pay over 1400 a month...rather should say thats an absolute top end...

Try looking for something in Adelaide Square - Nice enough apartments. Might find a two bed for between €1500-€1700 per month

All the apartment are wired for UPC so you can get decent broadband speeds. Each apartment also has two connections to a communal sat dish. For sky+ etc.

18-21 mount street aren't wired for UPC. So broadband is only available over a telephone line. But each apartment has four connections to a communal dish. And are wired by smart homes. Cat5/ Audio etc. all going back to a central point within the apartment. No chance of getting one of those apts. within your budget btw.

Familiar with a lot of developments in Dublin City Centre. So feel free to ask if you want to know what services are available/ how they're wired.

S

Thanks for that will have a look!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SEE daft.ie, rent.ie ,search apartments , try and get one thats near bus route ,luas route to where you work.
    some apartments, have cable tv installed ,
    IE so you have to go for the cable company,thats wired in there.
    i know woman moved in new apartment, it took 2 years
    before management company offered sky tv connection.

Advertisement