Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eden Quay a no-go area?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Mod: Thread seperated from the 'Someone in the Liffey thread'

Someone likely got wet tonight, risked the lives of the emergency services rescuing them and will walk out of hospital tonight leaving you and me with the bill to pick up on his behalf, all because he was trying to get Sharon's attention.

Wake up to this area of Dublin it's a no go area for decent people and a disgrace for us to show off to visitors. The majority of people who end up in the Liffey put themselves in there for whatever reason and get caught out with the lethal currents and undercurrents which the Liffey has.

He'll still be collecting his €178 quid this week to bring Sharon out on a date.

Comments

McWotever wrote: »
    Someone likely got wet tonight, risked the lives of the emergency services rescuing them and will walk out of hospital tonight leaving you and me with the bill to pick up on his behalf, all because he was trying to get Sharon's attention.

Wake up to this area of Dublin it's a no go area for decent people and a disgrace for us to show off to visitors. The majority of people who end up in the Liffey put themselves in there for whatever reason and get caught out with the lethal currents and undercurrents which the Liffey has.

He'll still be collecting his €178 quid this week to bring Sharon out on a date.

I'd be inclined to agree re: the taxpayer having to foot the bill, but the rest of your post is bollocks, tbh. There are plenty of decent pubs, shops amenities etc within 5 mins of that bridge. I'll be the first to admit that the area has its problems (the amount of junkies and drug dealers on Marlborough St/Eden Quay is a disgrace) but it is by no means a "no go area".

Your last point is just snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wake up to this area of Dublin it's a no go area for decent people and a disgrace for us to show off to visitors.

Eden Quay is a no go area? :confused:

You make it sound like inner city Detroit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

I'd be inclined to agree re: the taxpayer having to foot the bill, but the rest of your post is bollocks, tbh. There are plenty of decent pubs, shops amenities etc within 5 mins of that bridge. I'll be the first to admit that the area has its problems (the amount of junkies and drug dealers on Marlborough St/Eden Quay is a disgrace) but it is by no means a "no go area".

Your last point is just snobbery.

So your happy to walk down there before "feeding time" at the clinic? More importantly are you happy for some tourist to walk down there with his map and camera on show?

You're right there are plenty of nice areas an amenities within five minutes of that area, Grafton street, Stephen's Green, Henry street etc, but there are complete dives within a minutes walk.

As for it being a no go area, its all relative, I've no problem walking down there because I have my wits about me and wouldn't let myself get in to the situation where something would happen. But what about your granny, happy for her to walk down there with her and bag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Funnily enough, I've seen more people mugged and had more friends mugged around dame lane than the so called no-go area of Eden Quay. 'They' (in this case, SOME of the clients of the drug treatment centres) may be loud and obnoxious but thats generally to each other rather than randomers.

Well I've had friends mugged around Eden Quay.

So once there only shouting abuse at each other and not anyone else that's okay? I personally think of it as a free entertainment show, but don't think the tourists like it.

• Advertisement

Well I've had friends mugged around Eden Quay.

So once there only shouting abuse at each other and not anyone else that's okay? I personally think of it as a free entertainment show, but don't think the tourists like it.

No, but saying its worse than everywhere in the city is just wrong. And it's most certainly not a no-go area.

Well answer my question from earlier, would you let your granny walk down there with her handbag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?

From the Irish Times 24 August:

Of the total crimes recorded last year in Galway, 1,559 were classified as public order offences. That figure puts Galway third on the public order list, behind only the Dublin inner Garda stations of Pearse Street (2,237 public order offences) and Store Street (1,654), both of which police the busiest retail and nightlife districts in the State.

Now consider that Pearse Street has Temple Bar, and Store Street has significantly less pubs in it area, that's a fairly high figure.

Well answer my question from earlier, would you let your granny walk down there with her handbag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?

From the Irish Times 24 August:

Of the total crimes recorded last year in Galway, 1,559 were classified as public order offences. That figure puts Galway third on the public order list, behind only the Dublin inner Garda stations of Pearse Street (2,237 public order offences) and Store Street (1,654), both of which police the busiest retail and nightlife districts in the State.

Now consider that Pearse Street has Temple Bar, and Store Street has significantly less pubs in it area, that's a fairly high figure.

Store Street also covers match day croke park, most of Dublins north inner city and one of Irelands busiest shopping streets. Remember fitzgibbon street is part of the store street district (UC, C District)

I've asked you the same question twice and you've ignored it. Your failure to answer the question in itself answers the question.

The piece in the paper refers to stations, not districts, and Pearse street also has a similarly bust shopping street, and similar inner city areas, so in a very unscientific comparison, they two stations cover a similar area with the exception of Croke Park.

I've asked you the same question twice and you've ignored it. Your failure to answer the question in itself answers the question.

The piece in the paper refers to stations, not districts, and Pearse street also has a similarly bust shopping street, and similar inner city areas, so in a very unscientific comparison, they two stations cover a similar area with the exception of Croke Park.

Stations and District are one in the same since Fitzgibbon Street station closed. Store Street covers a much larger area, with a higher density of residential, combine with lower incomes in those areas. Store Street is a larger station with a larger area.

• Advertisement

So your happy to walk down there before "feeding time" at the clinic? More importantly are you happy for some tourist to walk down there with his map and camera on show?

I work on Marlborough St. I walk the length of it 2-4 times a day. I see tourists every day, sure theres even a few youth hostels in the area.
    You're right there are plenty of nice areas an amenities within five minutes of that area, Grafton street, Stephen's Green, Henry street etc, but there are complete dives within a minutes walk.

Stephen's green is closer to 15 minutes away than 5. You forgot to mention Mulligans, the long stone, the flowing tide, MacTorcaills, the IFSC, Luas red line, Connolly station, Tara St, Custom House, Busaras, Irish Life centre etc., most of which you can actually SEE when you're standing on that bridge.
    As for it being a no go area, its all relative, I've no problem walking down there because I have my wits about me and wouldn't let myself get in to the situation where something would happen. But what about your granny, happy for her to walk down there with her and bag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?

My grandda was born and reared on Marlborough st and, if they were alive, him or me granny would have no qualms about the area.

I agree that its not the best place to show off what Dublin has to offer, and in fact i used to think it was a disgrace when most of the buses serving the airport terminated there. The first impression a lot of tourists got of the city was the wildlife shouting and screaming and dealing, but that's changed now.

Look, nobody is saying its beverly hills, but its not exactly O'Devaney Gardens either. "No go area" is way off the mark, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I get the bus there at least 3 times a week,and I drink in The Pint regularly enough and I've never seen any significant hassle.You get the odd group of addicts/drunks roaring at each other from time to time,but you get that on Grafton Street too.

I don't think I'd really classify any area in Dublin as a ''no go'' area.Tend to find people who do are guilty of a unhealthy mix of snobbery and ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Did one of the 'Boardwalk Boys' decide to go for a swim?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, my granny knows her own mind, i couldnt stop her even if i wanted to. she had never had a problem that i aware off.

the same as myself and nearly everyone else who lives in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It never fails to amaze me how grown adults are actually scared to walk around places.

Eden Quay - never had a bother on it in my life, walked down there loads of times.

I certainly wouldn't avoid it as if it's a guaranteed stabbing spot or something.

its something i noticed when i moved to the city, dublin people are terrified of other people.

its very, very strange:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

irishbird wrote: »
    its something i noticed when i moved to the city, dublin people are terrified of other people.

Eden quay is grand. get bus there every day and often walked up it at 1030 at night. no hassle at all

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Got the bus from Eden Quay for years. It's not the sort of place that you'd bring tourists to see, but once you have your wits about you it's fine. I used to be waiting there at night for the bus all times of the year and rarely had any hassle, the addicts around the area seemed to confine their yelling and 'fighting' to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've no problem walking down there because I have my wits about me and wouldn't let myself get in to the situation where something would happen. But what about your granny, happy for her to walk down there with her and bag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?

They'd have a job mugging her as she's been dead for 40 years. My sister walks down there regularly though, as do I. A few noisy scumbags is hardly something to run away from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

This is true. I used to take lunch on the benches further down, never had any hassle from them. They always seemed content whining and moaning amongst themselves. To be honest, Ive lived in the north inner city for over 10 years and never had any problems with junkies, nor seen anybody else having any. The threat is exaggerated in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

irishbird wrote: »
    its something i noticed when i moved to the city, some dublin people are terrified of other people.

Fixed that for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Wake up to this area of Dublin it's a no go area for decent people

So, an attempted suicide by someone with obviously serious issues makes an area a no go area? Wake up yourself McWotever.
    lethal currents and undercurrents which the Liffey has
    Lethal undercurrents. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lads - please don't turn this thread into a slanging match.

tHB

This thread was separated from its original thread. I asked the mod not to separate it because it would be taken out of context of the original subject. It doesn't even make sense as a standalone. I never poised the question is Eden quay a no go area, but I do believe it is for decent people.

The original thread was about junkies throwing themselves in to the Liffey. I was trying to say that it is a common occurrence on that stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This thread was separated from its original thread. I asked the mod not to separate it because it would be taken out of context of the original subject. It doesn't even make sense as a standalone. I never poised the question is Eden quay a no go area, but I do believe it is for decent people.

The original thread was about junkies throwing themselves in to the Liffey. I was trying to say that it is a common occurrence on that stretch of road.

Fair enough about the thread separation, but it's certainly not a no go area for decent people. I'm a decent person and I'm there a lot! Plenty of people throw themselves in to the Liffey, drug addicts, alcoholics, people with depression, people with special needs. It's tragic, but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There's no no-go "street" in the whole of Dublin. Sure I wouldn't recommend you saunter around certain flat complexes but on actual streets just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I find these threads strange. You would think from it that Dublin is a horrorhole where average person needs supreme wits to get around without getting robbed, beaten up, worse or all the above.

I live just off the north inner city and barely see anything. I worked up on Marlborough St for a while and while the zombies up there are not a pretty sight, they are harmless, or at least they never did or said anything to me. For the most part, they can barely stand.

Something does need to be done about the boardwalk though. That is a wonderful amenity that has been ruined for most people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

dsmythy wrote: »
    There's no no-go "street" in the whole of Dublin. Sure I wouldn't recommend you saunter around certain flat complexes but on actual streets just no.

Completely agree, there is nowhere in Dublin city centre that I would be afraid to walk. The only place I do tend to avoid is Temple Bar after about 9pm on a Friday or Saturday but that's to avoid the absolute hordes of drunken tourists and locals, nothing else!

tbh, i dont even find the boardwalk bad, i used to live in an apartment complex in the centre complex and during the summer would spend hours lazying around the boardwalk with a book. Not once did anyone say anything to me!!

Dublin is riddiculously safe, and as with the above posters there is nowhere i would consider a no go around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what about your granny, happy for her to walk down there with her and bag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?
    Elderly females worry most about crime but, statistically, are least likely to be the victim of crime.

On the other hand, young males worry least about crime but statistically are most likely to be a victim of crime.

These threads about certain parts of Dublin being 'no go' always amuse me and make me wonder if the people posting them have ever travelled to any other parts of the world where some areas are "no go" even for the local police force.

Advertisement