Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eden Quay a no-go area?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

In reality, you are most likely to experience violent crime if you are involved in criminal gang activity or are drunk and behaving aggressively. I agree that the boardwalk has become a wasted amenity. I don't know what can be done about it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Grafton Street on Saturday afternoon / rush hour is my no go street. It's an unbelievable pain in the arse trying to get by people when it's busy, especially if you're in a hurry.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Grafton Street on Saturday afternoon / rush hour is my no go street. It's an unbelievable pain in the arse trying to get by people when it's busy, especially if you're in a hurry.

QFT

that and Nassau Street during the week, I avoid it all costs. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

griffdaddy wrote: »

I do my very best to avoid it too.

irishbird wrote: »
    QFT

that and Nassau Street during the week, I avoid it all costs. :mad:

Especially lunch hour. Gotta love Dublin Bikes though. Dunno how I ever survived without them.

• Advertisement

On the topic of CC junkies ( and slightly off thread, but possibly the same crowd from eden quay ), I was heading into the oriental supermarket at the Jervis street Luas stop, there was a bunch of them on the platform. As the Luas pulled up, one of them left to get on. His skin was a mix of yellow and white, he had a few silver necklaces around his neck with a tracksuit hanging off his emaciated body and a handful of teeth that were going from yellow to black. The crowded carriage went quiet and he stood beside a bunch of tourists. One of the others from the main bunch bade him a loud farewell saying good to see ya man, look after yourself will ye ( he was really in no shape to be saying this himself ), and for gods sake he said, would you ever brush those teeth. Well the whole place just cracked up..including the tourists .

Only in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

On a seperate note, it's only after I moved into the city centre that I realised so many Dublin people have such a stupid attitude about anyone who doesn't look the same as them. It's pretty embarrassing considering these are the same guys extolling the underground culture of Paris, Barcelona, Amsterdam etc. If people actually paused and looked at the young, energetic talent around them they'd change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

McWotever wrote: »
    So your happy to walk down there before "feeding time" at the clinic? More importantly are you happy for some tourist to walk down there with his map and camera on show?

You're right there are plenty of nice areas an amenities within five minutes of that area, Grafton street, Stephen's Green, Henry street etc, but there are complete dives within a minutes walk.

As for it being a no go area, its all relative, I've no problem walking down there because I have my wits about me and wouldn't let myself get in to the situation where something would happen. But what about your granny, happy for her to walk down there with her and bag on her shoulder and a few shopping bags?
    Wow you must live a desperately boring life, this is like a storyline beginning for Fair City written here, which is obviously complete crap. What age are you? I'm gonna guess 14, or a know it all 12 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Cut out the personal abuse now, no more warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

dsmythy wrote: »
    There's no no-go "street" in the whole of Dublin. Sure I wouldn't recommend you saunter around certain flat complexes but on actual streets just no.

You couldn't pay me to walk down Sheriff street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

L5 wrote: »

I take it you have never done so?

Do you think it's that bad or do you know it's that bad?

I lived 30 metres from Sheriff street for a long time, I'm no tough guy and I walked up and down it for years, walking the dog, making my way in and out of the city etc... and I found it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

ror_74 wrote: »
    On the topic of CC junkies ( and slightly off thread, but possibly the same crowd from eden quay ), I was heading into the oriental supermarket at the Jervis street Luas stop, there was a bunch of them on the platform. As the Luas pulled up, one of them left to get on. His skin was a mix of yellow and white, he had a few silver necklaces around his neck with a tracksuit hanging off his emaciated body and a handful of teeth that were going from yellow to black. The crowded carriage went quiet and he stood beside a bunch of tourists. One of the others from the main bunch bade him a loud farewell saying good to see ya man, look after yourself will ye ( he was really in no shape to be saying this himself ), and for gods sake he said, would you ever brush those teeth. Well the whole place just cracked up..including the tourists .

Only in Dublin :)

Ah sure the tourists love that sort of thing, It's why they come here.

My daughter goes to college off Temple bar and had her Phone snatched from her hand last year by junkie, She has now learned her lesson not to use her phone till she's on the bus.

We only had this conversation last night about her feeling safe along the quays and she said If I was in Times square or covent gardens and seen that amount of junkies I would advise friends not to go.......What stories do you think tourists are taking home with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've walked just about every area of the city centre at night and have never had any problems.

I used to live in the IFSC Apartments a few years ago, right beside Connolly Station / Sherrif St. and other than some of the tracksuit and pyjamis brigade as well as the odd IRA looking oul lads, it's all good. Never bother.

If something was going to happen to you though, I'd say there's a much higher chance of it happening around the north inner city than south. South inner city should be avoided due to crowds, north inner city has a lot more dodgy folk. I also think having those rehab / methadone centres right in the most touristy and historic part of the city is a bit....well, Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I think that the fact that the Govt/HSE/Gardai etc.. still think methadone maintenance therapy is a viable solution to the heroin problem in this city,even after 20+ years of its obvious spectacular failure is a bit...well, Irish!

Its a fair point. But every European and American city and has its underclass problems. And I suppose we're guilty of liking our junkies to be more easy going and good humored than the rest of the worlds junkies. I do get the impression from my own travels and from general anecdotes that other places are more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I think that the fact that the Govt/HSE/Gardai etc.. still think methadone maintenance therapy is a viable solution to the heroin problem in this city,even after 20+ years of its obvious spectacular failure is a bit...well, Irish!

What's the alternative? As far as I see it you either give them the methadone for free or you be prepared to put up with all the social problems of junkies looking for their fix.

Lesser of two evils imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Clanket wrote: »
    What's the alternative? As far as I see it you either give them the methadone for free or you be prepared to put up with all the social problems of junkies looking for their fix.

Lesser of two evils imo.

errr.......seriously????

Detox, serious counselling and training are a hell of a lot more effective than methadone. Methadone is more addictive than herion, once you are on, you are on it for life.

It would save the government a fortune, if they stopped the methadone and actually tried to help these people. obviously there are some who dont want to be help but giving out free drugs is not the way to go about rehabilitating people.

We now have 4 generations of some families additcted to Herion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

L5 wrote: »

Try walking down it. You'll find you will be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I've walked just about every area of the city centre at night and have never had any problems.

I used to live in the IFSC Apartments a few years ago, right beside Connolly Station / Sherrif St. and other than some of the tracksuit and pyjamis brigade as well as the odd IRA looking oul lads, it's all good. Never bother.

If something was going to happen to you though, I'd say there's a much higher chance of it happening around the north inner city than south. South inner city should be avoided due to crowds, north inner city has a lot more dodgy folk. I also think having those rehab / methadone centres right in the most touristy and historic part of the city is a bit....well, Irish.
    I'd be more wary of Ross O Carroll Rogby toypes roysh.They'll kick you to death and get off because no jury will convict them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

darkdubh wrote: »
    I'd be more wary of Ross O Carroll Rogby toypes roysh.They'll kick you to death and get off because no jury will convict them.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

darkdubh - Inflamatory comments are not acceptable. Do not post in this thread again.

tHB

Advertisement