Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child snatch?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

anybody hear about two people in a black volkswagen trying to lure kids into a car in dunleer over the last few days.male and a female occupant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Saw posts on facebook about it, heard nothing official though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was also supposed to be a white van in monasterboice on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I heard about this on another site. It was mentioned on LMFM and involved a car with an 05 LH plate. Don't know anything else though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Im not divulging names or any details etc, but I can tell ye what happened in these.

There was a black car/van, (could be a VW) registration 05 LH in Dunleer, beechwood drive area, close to the play ground. They tried to talk to some young girls and get them to come over to them. they knew one of the wee girls by name, she did not recognise them.

There was an incident with a white van in monasterboice. They tried to lure two boys to the van with the promise of sweets. In this instance, they drove onto someones driveway, thinking there was no one in the house (no cars).

Obviously I dont want to alarm people, but just be vigilant

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Holy sh!t!! could this be people's imagination overreacting with the April Jones news story?
    I really hope there's no sick f*cks driving around attempting to chat to or lure kids into vans. I'll have no problem whatsoever in making them regret it

• Advertisement

see my post kormac, it has happened unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I bet it was Larry Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

heard that the case in dunleer was totally mistaken, was not an attempted abduction

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

i listen to the news on lmfm every evening and morning.

Not mentioned once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

thread disappoints

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

event wrote: »
    They tried to lure two boys to the van with the promise of sweets.

Was there sweets at least?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

To all the "comedians" on here:

After Hours is this way----> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Next person with an off topic post is getting a week long ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

And the twat who set this up is really helping..:(

Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

My auntie was informed about this by her daughter's school. They're telling parents to be vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mr_staggerlee

Bosh wrote: »
    And the twat who set this up is really helping..:(

Facebook

l have to say that comment seems a bit steep, there are many of these motorists groups, aimed at avoiding and making motorists aware not abetting criminals.
    But then l'm not a :eek:garda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

peejay1986 wrote: »
    My auntie was informed about this by her daughter's school. They're telling parents to be vigilant.

I hope they also told them to be vigilante of their neighbours dog (or their own for that matter), climbing trees, rivers and lakes, speeding cars, riding their bikes?? Because all of those things pose a FAR greater threat to children. Child molesters/murderers are well well well down the list on bad things that are likely happen to your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

l have to say that comment seems a bit steep, there are many of these motorists groups, aimed at avoiding and making motorists aware not abetting criminals.
    But then l'm not a :eek:garda

I would happily take your point, except if you read below which is taken from the page, it purports to help motorists avoid penalty points:

And I quote:

A group of like minded individuals in the Louth And Monaghan area who are interested in preventing points on their licences by posting up any Garda Checkpoints or Speed Traps Van Or Cars Customs Or Rsa on the roads of Louth And Monaghan.
    Description
    We welcome posts on sighting of Cam-vans, unmarked speed trap cars, custom stops, garda checkpoints or rsa or anything else that might cause you delays in getting home and garda checkpoints louth and monaghan and speed vans new text alert the number is 0864477697 this is for people who cant get there facebook on there fones they can text it in and we do the work thanks...........

Neither Customs or RSA give penalty points. I can see where up to date info on road closures can be of benefit but to use it as an excuse to give warning of checkpoints etc. is dubious in the extreme.

Several postings are along the line of 'Garda car driving here' or 'Garda car turning there'. How is this helping prevent someone get penalty points?

And as for posting the location of an armed response unit...:rolleyes:

It's irresponsible and can only be of benefit of those who have good reason not to be stopped.

lets not turn this into a discussion of the facebook group

its made independent.ie

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/parents-on-alert-after-strangers-approach-children-3255618.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

cournioni wrote: »
    To all the "comedians" on here:

After Hours is this way----> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Next person with an off topic post is getting a week long ban.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Scotty # wrote: »
    I hope they also told them to be vigilante of their neighbours dog (or their own for that matter), climbing trees, rivers and lakes, speeding cars, riding their bikes?? Because all of those things pose a FAR greater threat to children. Child molesters/murderers are well well well down the list on bad things that are likely happen to your child.

Doubt it. All those things are part of every day life and stuff that parents should be well used to dealing with (whether they're a bigger risk or not).

Quit trying to make out that it's anything other than a 'heads up' to parents. Good on the school for doing so. I'd imagine if I was a parent I'd want to know of such rumours. Kicks him the message that such things COULD happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

:pac:
    You had been warned. Banned for a week.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4591734/Lollipop-freak-tried-to-abduct-my-girl-4.html

Another attempted child abduction in Louth this week?!
    Time to increase awareness with the small ones... as a parent I know how easily this could happen to any 4/5 yr old.
    You don't wanna scare them but the message has to be hammered home somehow all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

kormak wrote: »
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4591734/Lollipop-freak-tried-to-abduct-my-girl-4.html

Another attempted child abduction in Louth this week?!
    Time to increase awareness with the small ones... as a parent I know how easily this could happen to any 4/5 yr old.
    You don't wanna scare them but the message has to be hammered home somehow all the same.

Your use of the word "another" seems a bit odd, since the very article you're quoting dismisses the Dunleer one as "not suspicious". Given the Sun's usual policy of whipping up fear of everything, if they say it's not suspicious, then I would read that as "totally innocuous".
    Also, if the girl walked into the house with a lolly, wouldn't that suggest that - whatever he was at - he WASN'T trying to lure her into the car? So maybe he thought he was talking to the neighbour's kid whose daddy he DID know, or something like that.

Your use of the word "another" seems a bit odd, since the very article you're quoting dismisses the Dunleer one as "not suspicious". Given the Sun's usual policy of whipping up fear of everything, if they say it's not suspicious, then I would read that as "totally innocuous".
    Also, if the girl walked into the house with a lolly, wouldn't that suggest that - whatever he was at - he WASN'T trying to lure her into the car? So maybe he thought he was talking to the neighbour's kid whose daddy he DID know, or something like that.

Dunleer incident turned out to be a misunderstanding, however there has been a confirmed incident of suspicous behaviour @ Monasterboice.
    RTE drivetime have also reported the Clogherhead incident on their radio show... so not just the ragmags "whipping up fear".
    Thanks for your cynicism but I'll continue to remain vigilant for safety of my kids.

there has been a confirmed incident of suspicous behaviour.
    Either it's a suspicion or a confirmation, can't be both.
    I'll continue to remain vigilant for safety of my kids.
    Kormac it's not something you should dwell on too much. The chances of your child being harmed intentionally by a stranger are so remote they are almost non existent. Yes,of course it happens but very very rarely. The chances are one in hundreds of millions. It really really annoys me to hear of schools sending out letters warning parents of "white vans in the area" when accident and emergency rooms all over the country are full of kids injured in road accidents because there parents didn't bother their holes straping them in right or at all. When was the last time they sent a letter home about that? That's nothing to do with the school you might say... well no more so than white vans in the area. My point is if the school want to send letters home regarding the safety of our children they should pick a more likely and imminent danger.

The fact is - no child was abducted in Louth last week or the last time one of these threads appeared or the time before that. These threads are nothing more than rumours that create an illogical fear. That's scaremongering.

The fact is - no child was abducted in Louth last week or the last time one of these threads appeared or the time before that. These threads are nothing more than rumours that create an illogical fear. That's scaremongering.

Whilst no child was taken, the incident in monasterboice was quite real and only failed cos the kid ran away.

Yea, we don't want panic but it does no harm to have another wee chat with your kids about strangers

I find these hard to believe to be honest.

I've seen a friend in Cork's facebook page and he has people posting similar. Someone in Dublin, too. A white van man is the usual culprit.
    I'd say they're just doing the rounds. In these days of "everyone's a paedophile if they look at a child for more than a second" I doubt many people are driving around offering children sweets out of their car window, in built up estates, and playgrounds.

Of course, I agree that everyone should have a word with their children about strangers, but I don't think the chances of it happening are high at all.

You find what hard to believe?

event wrote: »
    You find what hard to believe?
    That paedophiles have such a low success rate when it comes to snatching a child. It can't be that hard to do and yet we have hundreds and hundreds of 'real attempts' but they never seem to get them. Don't you find that peculiar? Orrrr.... could it be that 99.99999999% of these rumours are not attempted abductions at all!?!

In these days of "everyone's a paedophile if they look at a child for more than a second" I doubt many people are driving around offering children sweets out of their car window, in built up estates, and playgrounds.
    A buddy of mine lives near Donabate beach. He's 29. Last year on one of the hottest days of the year he was walking along the beach with his Mrs. They've no kids. The beach was absolutely packed with people enjoying the good weather. Suddenly he felt this hand grab onto his and turned around to see this little 3 or 4 year old girl in a bikini latch on to him. She was crying and very distressed, obviously lost. Bill's (not real name) natural reaction was to put his arms down and pick the little one up but before he had a chance to his Mrs had pulled the little ones hand away and grabbed Bills arm to lead him away. The little one followed them crying, for some reason seeing some kind of security in Bill. Bill asked his Mrs what the problem was and she said to keep walking away.

When they were telling me this story I was quiet shocked by his Mrs's reaction but she explained that she was so terrified that if someone from this girls family saw Bill picking up the child they would accuse him of trying to snatch her. I think this is a really really sad example of how illogically terrified society has become of something that's so so rare, it's not worth the worry.

As it happens, Bill did pick up the child and her mother came straight over. She had seen the whole thing and while the child thought she was lost, she was actually in her mothers sights the whole time. She just couldn't hear her calling her. The mother thanked Bill and they all went on their way.

• Advertisement

That paedophiles have such a low success rate when it comes to snatching a child. It can't be that hard to do and yet we have hundreds and hundreds of 'real attempts' but they never seem to get them. Don't you find that peculiar? Orrrr.... could it be that 99.99999999% of these rumours are not attempted abductions at all!?!

well no, we dont have "hundreds and hundreds" of "real attempts".
    in this thread we happen to have two initially. one seems to have been a mistake, one was real.

i dont see the issue

Advertisement