Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child snatch?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

event wrote: »
    well no, we dont have "hundreds and hundreds" of "real attempts".
    in this thread we happen to have two initially. one seems to have been a mistake, one was real.

i dont see the issue
    According to the Sun (so it must be true:rolleyes:) the car pulled up in a short cul de sac as seen by lots of witnesses and spoke to a child. Gave the child a sweet and drove off.

Correct?

I don't see any evidence to show this was an attempt at abduction? It could have been totally innocent (but lets lynch him just in case).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Scotty # wrote: »
    According to the Sun (so it must be true:rolleyes:) the car pulled up in a short cul de sac as seen by lots of witnesses and spoke to a child. Gave the child a sweet and drove off.

Correct?

I don't see any evidence to show this was an attempt at abduction? It could have been totally innocent (but lets lynch him just in case).

im not talking about the Sun one, but the one in monasterboice

event wrote: »
    well no, we dont have "hundreds and hundreds" of "real attempts".
    in this thread we happen to have two initially. one seems to have been a mistake, one was real.

i dont see the issue

But according to the likes of Facebook its happening everywhere at the moment. There's attempted abductions galore all across the country. I'm pretty sure that's what he (and I) was referring to.

But according to the likes of Facebook

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

But according to the likes of Facebook its happening everywhere at the moment. There's attempted abductions galore all across the country. I'm pretty sure that's what he (and I) was referring to.

fair enough.

tbh, im not too concerned about what others are posting on facebook about all around the country.
    I've only ever been talking about whats happening around the louth area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Either it's a suspicion or a confirmation, can't be both.

Kormac it's not something you should dwell on too much. The chances of your child being harmed intentionally by a stranger are so remote they are almost non existent. Yes,of course it happens but very very rarely. The chances are one in hundreds of millions. It really really annoys me to hear of schools sending out letters warning parents of "white vans in the area" when accident and emergency rooms all over the country are full of kids injured in road accidents because there parents didn't bother their holes straping them in right or at all. When was the last time they sent a letter home about that? That's nothing to do with the school you might say... well no more so than white vans in the area. My point is if the school want to send letters home regarding the safety of our children they should pick a more likely and imminent danger.

The fact is - no child was abducted in Louth last week or the last time one of these threads appeared or the time before that. These threads are nothing more than rumours that create an illogical fear. That's scaremongering.

I know neighbours of the kids in Monasterboice where the incident occured and believe me it was very real and frightening for the kids involved...
    No point in going into detail on a public forum and before you assume something... No, I'm not one of these parents that scares my kids sh!tless with these sorta scenarios... but I'm quite happy to remain vigilant none the less and I also think it serves no harm in the local schools doing the same.

ps. I fully take your points on board re hysteria (see my initial comments in this thread).
    I'm sure there are incidents and rumours out there which are literally snowballing out of control...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

kormak wrote: »
    ... out there which are literally snowballing out of control...

Whatever they may be doing, they're definitely NOT doing it "literally".
    They may perhaps be doing it "figuratively" or "metaphorically", but not "literally".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

holy christ :mad:

Whatever they may be doing, they're definitely NOT doing it "literally".
    They may perhaps be doing it "figuratively" or "metaphorically", but not "literally".

Christ on a bike... I didn’t realize we had a linguistics expert in our midst! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

kormak wrote: »
    but I'm quite happy to remain vigilant...
    ... and that's perfectly fine (as long as you have been just as vigilant about all the many many dangerous things that are millions of times more likely to occur).

OT: hate the misuse of literally also... recently heard a sports commentator say player A was literally up player B's backside. I lol'd (literally!).

• Advertisement

... and that's perfectly fine (as long as you have been just as vigilant about all the many many dangerous things that are millions of times more likely to occur).

I think that comes naturally to most parents!

Advertisement