Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Will

Options
  • 09-10-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Wondering what advice there is out there for people intending to make a will. Much talk now as "Will Week" is approaching.
    Any ideas of costs involved? Is there a standard fixed charge or does one have to haggle with solicitors. I have not seen price lists being offered any where. Any recommendations on solicitors in the town of which there is no shortage. Business must be good to support so many in a small town. I am aware of 6 operating in Greystones, but don't know much about any of them. Would welcome comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

vinpaul wrote: »
    Wondering what advice there is out there for people intending to make a will. Much talk now as "Will Week" is approaching.
    Any ideas of costs involved? Is there a standard fixed charge or does one have to haggle with solicitors. I have not seen price lists being offered any where. Any recommendations on solicitors in the town of which there is no shortage. Business must be good to support so many in a small town. I am aware of 6 operating in Greystones, but don't know much about any of them. Would welcome comments.

Be aware that the €50 charge mentioned in the adverstising for "Will Week" is for a consultation only. It does not include the cost of the actual will. Take a look at the site: legacy.ie and read the section for participating solicitors.

There is no fixed charge for making a will so it is down to the individual solicitor. Some will do it for free if you are conducting other business with them. The costs can vary quite substantially for the same work. Although the charges are not fixed a solicitor is obliged to give a client a full breakdown of charges before providing a service. I suggest you prepare an email asking for costing for a standard will and send it to all practices in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Hi, We made our wills earlier this year with the solicitor in Newtownmountkennedy (Sorry, name evades me at the moment!, but he is on the main street) and it cost E70 (for the two of us/couple).

I would totally suggest writing a will, even if you are pretty young, because nobody knows what is around the corner-it's just one thing less to worry about.

I know from first hand experience what a huge mess that can be left behind if someone dies suddenly, without a will, so I would say go and do it asap.

Maybe 'phone them first to double check about how many executors you need and if you have children, you need to think about guardianship etc. You will need to discuss this with the people that you wish to fulfill these roles. I know that it is a bit morbid to think about these things; chances are that you will never need these sort of clauses (for a long, long time) but best to be prepared.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

vinpaul wrote: »

1 local solicitor has been struck off in the past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    1 local solicitor has been struck off in the past 2 weeks.
    care to give any details?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

We used Murphy's Solicitors- they're in one of those period houses at the end of Quinsboro Rd, opposite the Carlisle Grounds. Very pleasant and efficient and reasonable though I forget how much exactly. Also have very convenient hours as we both had trouble getting off work but they were available for consultations from 7 or 7.30 am.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Wills are usually written up by solicitors for free. Or at least they should be.

They will charge for execution of the will.
    That is where they make their money.

Advertisement