Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2m/70cm HF for under 52 Euro?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Radio Repairs

If you do a google, and use the words ...uv5r review... you will see thatthe reviews are from competent authorities on radio transmitters and and theharmonic suppresion they might have. The radio licence here in the uk is muchmore advanced than the irish one. the irish licence is similar to thefoundation licence in the uk. Also take note that all of the reviews are bypeople that have passed the upper level required to obtain a licence fromofcom. I have many friends that have the EI licence and maybe you should talkwith some of them before you get into these discussions about rules and regs.Some of the Ei operators would be build capable like myself. I have beenteaching advanced courses on harmonic suppression for a number of years, andwould find these little radios fully comply with present suppression models.Also why are you making a fuss and waves about a little fun us guys have in ourshacks of a dark evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Marine VHF communications do not use CTCSS or DCS etc...

The type of situation I'm referring to is where one of these Wideband transmit radios accidently tune out of the authorised amateur frequency allocation and accidently transmit as can possibly happen if in a coat pocket, stuck in a bag etc... The owner of the radio would very probably not even be aware that the set had been transmitting.

Even in a situation where a frequency does use CTCSS or DCS, a strong local signal can "block" a wanted signal. CTCSS or DCS simply means that the squelch on the receiver won't open until the correct code is received. It is not a method of preventing interference.

There is a very simple fix to stop this from happening, all people have to do is set the lock option on the radio and it cannot change channels or transmit, also in the working software when you enter frequencies you can set the frequency say for the emergency channel 156.800 and then in the TX/transmit section you can just input a PMR446 frequency and if you accidentally did hit the transmit then it would only transmit on the PMR446 frequency you set for TX.

If i have frequencies to monitor on this radio i never leave the transmit frequency for that particular channel because i know there is a slight possibility this could happen and i'm sure anyone would do the same if they knew about this kind of interference problem caused by an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The RF Tech Guy

watty wrote: »
    You are wrong. You'd be better to talk to an expert in the IRTS.

I have discussed this. You can easily get people on the Phone in Comreg that know nothing about the Amateur Radio regulations. Anything not in writing is meaningless. Check your licence documents.

Absolutely EVERY Radio, for licence free or licensed use, excluding Amateur Radio must be certified. It has to be certified to be retailed in Ireland, even for Amateur Radio.

But an Amateur Licensee can use ANY equipment as long as they have the means to verify they are meeting their licence conditions.

That is impossible.

Just dug out a document from Comreg.

One section states " Controls, which when wrongly adjusted, change the system parameters shall be immediately accessible to qualified personnel only."

Therefore, if the set listed by the OP allows a user to bring the set to a frequency which will be outside of the amateur bands by adjustment of front panel control, I believe that the equipment does not meet the requirement.

Another section states "No modifications shall be made to any transmitter or RF Power Amplifier enabling operation on bands other than those specified in Part IV of the Experimenters Licence."

That is self-explanatory.

Some of the Ei operators would be build capable like myself.

How is this relevant to the present discussion?

The radio licence here in the uk is muchmore advanced than the irish one.

So, what are you suggesting?

• Advertisement

the irish licence is similar to thefoundation licence in the uk.

Meaning what exactly......?

Also why are you making a fuss and waves about a little fun us guys have in ourshacks of a dark evening.

:eek:

:D

Just dont be worrying about small misdimeaners. enjoy electronincs, or if your into radio like us enjoy the whole new era we are expierencing. the radio ammatuer is dying over in Ireland he will soon be gone what a pity, the Irsh accent is wonderful. Enjoy this wonderful gift we were given. All of us licenced people keep the whole system going. .....And it is radio experimentation....... thst you have been given a licence for, one could always find some rule that may have been broken. Hope you can see this in a light hearted spirit. We need to relax and enjoy, not put people off a wonderful hobby.

Also why are you making a fuss and waves about a little fun us guys have in ourshacks of a dark evening.

In all honesty Radio Repairs, that does seem a bit shocking, are we talking about radios or something unusually dark ???. :D

Anyway, if any licensed amateur radio enthusiast does purchase one of these UV-5R radios i'll leave that link again for the manual operation for it below and the website link for the software incase you didn't receive it in the packaging...I'll just use it as legally best i can only in the PMR446 band as i can't really dump it now after buying it. I live in the pmr446 and i don't deviate from my location.

Baofeng UV-5R programming software guide.... http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Baofeng UV-5R software homepage... http://www.radioshop888.com/shop_displaynews.php?id=292

Video manual setup.....

zenno wrote: »
    I'll just use it as legally best i can only in the PMR446 band

The point is that the set cannot legally be used for 446MHz operation as it doesn't meet type approval for the licence exemption...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is a very simple fix to stop this from happening, all people have to do is set the lock option on the radio and it cannot change channels or transmit, also in the working software when you enter frequencies you can set the frequency say for the emergency channel 156.800 and then in the TX/transmit section you can just input a PMR446 frequency and if you accidentally did hit the transmit then it would only transmit on the PMR446 frequency you set for TX.

If i have frequencies to monitor on this radio i never leave the transmit frequency for that particular channel because i know there is a slight possibility this could happen and i'm sure anyone would do the same if they knew about this kind of interference problem caused by an accident.

This set is illegal for Marine Licence or Licence Free PMR446 use, no matter how you use or program it.

The radio licence here in the uk is muchmore advanced than the irish one. the irish licence is similar to thefoundation licence in the uk.

Er.. Nonsense. The A and B licences in Ireland are same as UK full Licence. (A has morse, which is not required in UK or Ireland for access to all bands).

The Irish Licence and UK full Licence are CEPT recognised and reciprocal in other countries. The Foundation and Intermediate are UK only.

In fact I have my Irish licence on the basis of a UK "full" license (excluding Morse).

Just dug out a document from Comreg.

One section states " Controls, which when wrongly adjusted, change the system parameters shall be immediately accessible to qualified personnel only."

Therefore, if the set listed by the OP allows a user to bring the set to a frequency which will be outside of the amateur bands by adjustment of front panel control, I believe that the equipment does not meet the requirement.

Another section states "No modifications shall be made to any transmitter or RF Power Amplifier enabling operation on bands other than those specified in Part IV of the Experimenters Licence."

That is self-explanatory.

Someone with a Full Amateur licence is "qualified".
    "No modifications shall be made to any transmitter or RF Power Amplifier enabling operation on bands other than those specified in Part IV of the Experimenters Licence."
    That only applies to Certified Equipment remaining certified. Otherwise the licence requires that you can verify you are only operating within the licence conditions. For example if you are using a Radio set as an IF for a Microwave TX/RX, the radio set may need to operate outside the Amateur bands. This isn't illegal as it's not radiating but converted to a Signal within a higher frequency Amateur band (1.2, 2.3, 10GHz etc)

You are not a Lawyer, nor have you worked as a Communications engineer interfacing with Regulatory issues.

This radio can't be used for ANY licence free application and the only Licensed operation possible (not Marine) is by a Full Amateur licensed operator that has the equipment to demonstrate that the operation is not outside the licence conditions.

Do note that Comreg is a Bureaucracy and if you get someone that isn't sure, they will say NO, to flameproof themselves and that will then be backed up and then a later licence conditions will be more explicit.

Leave negotiation with Comreg up to people that understand what the CURRENT Regulations mean and what a Radio Amateur is. There is no obligation to use only Commercial Equipment, Certified or not. There is an obligation to operate within the power, bandwidths, modes and spurious emission levels and have equipment to verify it. Also to know how to use that.

This is why there is a far more technical exam than say a Marine VHF licence. Or Business Radio licence.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Right, that settles it then, I'm getting one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Yes, add me to list of getting one.

Well, I hope you all do reviews for www.techtir.ie I can't afford one due to the pesky ASO and people getting married and leaving home.

Well, I don't need one anyway.
    For handhelds TX: Alinco DJ-V5E, Yaesu FT817ND, pair of real PMR446, 4 x handheld CBs and various "iTrip" type CE approved micro power FM Transmitters.

For handhelds RX: Yaesu VR500, Uniden Bearcat UBC68XLT

Operation of the GSM/3G Transmitters in my Mobile is covered by the Operator's licence. It's WiFi & BT is Licence Free.

This set is illegal for Marine Licence or Licence Free PMR446 use, no matter how you use or program it.

NO, it is perfectly legal to listen to marine radio as a scanner, i never said it was legal for marine operation transmitting so you must have got my comment mixed up. If i decide to listen to marine radio frequencies in my own home it is perfectly legal, but it's illegal to transmit on said frequency.

I Can see many people purchasing this radio in Ireland anyway because the price is so UN-beatable. Soon rte will be advertising them.

NO, it is perfectly legal to listen to marine radio as a scanner

Yes, agreed. Though you mustn't tell anyone what you hear!
    Marine Licence
    A marine licence implies transmitting. That needs an approved set. I wasn't talking about reception only, which is actually a slightly grey area outside Broadcast, CB and Amateur bands. The UK rules are a little stricter on this where in the UK, it seems to be technically illegal to listen to 466 on other than a PMR446, but I doubt the stricter rules in UK enforced, the principle being that for non-Broadcast transmission you must not record or repeat what you here.

In Ireland there is a restriction on the 5MHz channels (which must be separately applied for -or used to be the case), the restriction is that you must only have a conversation with other Amateurs and not with CCF or Army Cadets in UK who share some of the channels!

But if you didn't have an Amateur licence, you'd be safer buying a scanner, as you might have difficulties otherwise. Very cheap scanners do more on receive than this handie R/T

Ha Ha your all mad i tell you/. everyone has one of these little marvels under the bed. but check the reviews ......on youtube on review sites like http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9749. Get this in to your heads you moaning Michaels bloody morans..... the guy off the street is not buying this radio. Its all of us ammatuers, ofcom staff included. 5 in our club alone. Stop the moaning and nitpicking. we got rid of lads like you lot off of our commitee. make love to your wives, then you wont be so cranky. Really lads your a tiny uneducated minority. Live in the real world.

Yes, agreed. Though you mustn't tell anyone what you hear!

A marine licence implies transmitting. That needs an approved set. I wasn't talking about reception only, which is actually a slightly grey area outside Broadcast, CB and Amateur bands. The UK rules are a little stricter on this where in the UK, it seems to be technically illegal to listen to 466 on other than a PMR446, but I doubt the stricter rules in UK enforced, the principle being that for non-Broadcast transmission you must not record or repeat what you here.

In Ireland there is a restriction on the 5MHz channels (which must be separately applied for -or used to be the case), the restriction is that you must only have a conversation with other Amateurs and not with CCF or Army Cadets in UK who share some of the channels!

But if you didn't have an Amateur licence, you'd be safer buying a scanner, as you might have difficulties otherwise. Very cheap scanners do more on receive than this handie R/T
    you must not record or repeat what you here.

EHH... seriously now are you winding me up ? So if i heard a rescue mission in progress on say coastgaurd 156.8000 are you telling me that if i told someone NOT news related and it got out, then i would have a problem or is this a code between hams ?, ye got me on that one.

5MHZ rings a bell, was that not the usb shortwave frequency band for gander and shanwick air traffic control or am i way out ?. Man i could only imagine the sh1t-storm if someone transmitted on those frequencies interrupting cross-atlantic flight radios.
    But if you didn't have an Amateur licence, you'd be safer buying a scanner, as you might have difficulties otherwise. Very cheap scanners do more on receive than this handie

I only mentioned a scanner use to monitor the odd frequency now and again but my main use and purpose for this radio for the last few months is to communicate with the people i know, so a scanner is not my thing as i just listen in sometimes to marine. Communications on PMR446 is what i use it for mostly on my travels.

Just a question to you watty do you have one of these UV-5R models and have you tested this radio personally yourself ? This radio can do basically everything an expensive grade hand-held can do. Look deep within this radios menu and hidden keypad button controls and you would be astonished. I have access to a few controls that are not well known with this radio and i can tell you, if you tried one out and really got stuck into the menu control system you would be very surprised. I really still can't understand how a radio like this can be sold so cheap, €38 euro total is just crazy and how are they making any profit ? mass produced maybe but still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ha Ha your all mad i tell you/. everyone has one of these little marvels under the bed. but check the reviews ......on youtube on review sites like http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9749. Get this in to your heads you moaning Michaels bloody morans..... the guy off the street is not buying this radio. Its all of us ammatuers, ofcom staff included. 5 in our club alone. Stop the moaning and nitpicking. we got rid of lads like you lot off of our commitee. make love to your wives, then you wont be so cranky. Really lads your a tiny uneducated minority. Live in the real world.

So that's what you are up to in your shack at night? ;)

I agree with you, too much nit-picking. Once people know the score, after that it's up to them to make their choices as to how they operate. Mind you, it's good to see a bit of activity on the forum, even if it is nit-picking! :D

I'm amazed at the value of that little radio though. Amazon have them for around £40 with free shipping, would that be the cheapest way to get one in Ireland I wonder? Can't see them being any cheaper anywhere else.

Perfect in the mobile also to drive a little RF amp also.

5MHZ rings a bell, was that not the usb shortwave frequency band for gander and shanwick air traffic

Different part of band, still there. The Amateur 5MHz is just a few specific USB channels, not a band.

do you have one of these UV-5R models
    I've repaired similar older ones. You used to have to specify VHF or UHF. Similar price and spec but not dual band.
    Communications on PMR446 is what i use it for mostly on my travels
    Absolutely only legal on a PMR446 approved set. It breaks the rules here to discuss any other method of using 446 band. I have PMR446 for 446. I have a Dual band Alinco which could transmit on 446. I only use it on 2m & 70cm Amateur for TX.
    So if i heard a rescue mission in progress on say coastgaurd 156.8000 ...
    Technically unlike Broadcast and Amateur it's private and it is illegal to repeat it. In practice you are unlikely to get into trouble. This is more strict in UK than Ireland.

The UV-5R is fine for a Licensed Amateur to buy and use "in band". Anyone else using one is breaking the law, and there is small but finite risk of seizure and prosecution. Yes there are all kinds of radios used illegally and very few prosecutions, but such use and discussion is against the charter here and could get Boards in trouble.

Different part of band, still there. The Amateur 5MHz is just a few specific USB channels, not a band.

I've repaired similar older ones. You used to have to specify VHF or UHF. Similar price and spec but not dual band.

Absolutely only legal on a PMR446 approved set. It breaks the rules here to discuss any other method of using 446 band. I have PMR446 for 446. I have a Dual band Alinco which could transmit on 446. I only use it on 2m & 70cm Amateur for TX.

Technically unlike Broadcast and Amateur it's private and it is illegal to repeat it. In practice you are unlikely to get into trouble. This is more strict in UK than Ireland.

The UV-5R is fine for a Licensed Amateur to buy and use "in band". Anyone else using one is breaking the law, and there is small but finite risk of seizure and prosecution. Yes there are all kinds of radios used illegally and very few prosecutions, but such use and discussion is against the charter here and could get Boards in trouble.

I understand perfectly. Sorry if some of my questions were not within charter rules as i'm only learning this detailed stuff myself and would not have commented on certain issues here if i was aware of this.

Sorry about that. I'm just learning the main rules as i go along, and thanks for highlighting the important points.

That's a 10-4 rubber ducky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I have the Uv-3r and Uv-5r for a few months now.

Amazing little radios for the price. I would highly recommend them.
    I bought mine on ebay directly from China. I got caught for duty for the first one but not for the second.

Get one! and make sure you get a programming cable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Postman tried to deliver today but I was out!

have to go to the depot tomorrow and sign for it.

Advertisement