Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

auckland work contacts?

• 09-10-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

hi does anyone have any good contacts for any general unskilled work
    also im looking at finding work for accom in a hostel close to queen street or fort street
    we are :Dstaying in formula 1 /all seasons on wyndham street any advice of what to see in auckland . cheap shops . cheep beer lol

5 weeks to go :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Hi,

Unskilled work, the Labour Exchange is your best bet, its more of a stand around and wait for work kind of scenario but once you get into jobs and start making a good impression you will start to get requested by some of the contractors who get staff from the exchange. I even know of people who have been employed out of the exchange due to the reputation they had built up with contractors.

Work for accom, most hostels will do this but your best bet is to go to the larger ones, Nomads on Fort Street and Base on Queen Street are your best bet as the hostels are huge and also have Bars attached. Base's bar, Globe, provides 8 work for accom jobs in the form of glassys and promo staff. The manager likes Irish people as well mainly because some of his best promo staff and glassys in the last year have been Irish (I know a lot of people who did work for accom with Base/Globe).

As for what to see in Auckland, Ive been here a year and seen nothing really.. Been to the Zoo :P .. I suppose you should head up the SkyTower and possibly do the bridge tour (free). There is also a national park out west chock full of trees and a waterfall i believe, as well as Piha beach on the far side. Devonport is also loaded with tunnels from WW2 and Waihehe Island is also a good place to visit with tracks and coves to explore. Oh and of course theres Bars, lots of Bars..

Cheap shops.. When you get here avoid the corner stores, they are handy but expensive.. In Auckland CBD you want to do your shopping in either 'Countdown' or 'New World'. Some of the Bottle Shops do some deals that might be worth looking at but most of the CBD ones are priced for tourists.

Bar wise, happy hour exists over here, take full advantage of it, general prices for beer here resemble Dublin. $8-10 being the norm depending on what your drinking. The Irish bars, Danny's and O'Hagans are good fun but are tourist bars.. The Fiddler is currently closed but is a damn good bar when it is open. Teds and Munster are your true bar from home kind of bars.. this is where most people can find me when im in the CBD (that or Provedor). As the manager (of both) says.. Teds is for having the craic, Munster is for the drinkers.. Munster is also where you'll get your provincial and international rugby as well as the Championship depending on how long your here.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Others bars to note (Non Irish ones that is)
    Any of the macs brew bars (One down at the britomart), Britomart Country club (A bit uppity but pretty cool). 1885 (Club). Brew on Quay (good beers!!), Union bar. Skysport bar for the sport, huge screens, good beers if a little pricey.
    Probably more craic in the Irish bars but these are still decent if you want a change. Ponsonby has some good bars also and Sandringham. Both 10-15min from the city

Stuff to do
    Free - Walk up mount eden (nice view). auckland museum.
    Beaches over on the north shore. Swimming, Kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing (Piha, Murawai). Mission bay, etc
    Not so free - Waiheike, Rangitoto walk(Extinct volcano). Boat tours, dolphins and whales and stuff.

Probably lots more. dont worry, people in the back packers will be only happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

When you say sandringham ia assume you mean Kingsland? Just being upity as its my local area :P

Kingsland is where Eden Park is (technically its in Mt Eden), it has 5 bars all within 2 minutes of each other including Neighborhood another MAC's Brew Bar.

Yeah backpackers will be the best spot for more up to date info, also MAD Travel (part of Nomads) and Base Travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Landa2 wrote: »
    When you say sandringham ia assume you mean Kingsland? Just being upity as its my local area :P

That I do! Thanks for the correction. Shore man myself so over that way too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

thanks every one loads of great information there thanks very much
    ill have a lot to see and do have been looking at the skytower and the bridge walk:eek:

some great advice on cheap beers and pubs father teds looks cool and a nice sunday dinner on offer

will be going for a harbour tour so will check all the sites mentioned by britomart
    and go do some food shopping at countdown have done a few google map street views to see where every thing is

planning on takin a trip to mt eden and the ww2 tunnels deffo
    have been looking at the labour exchange seems like a great place and ill contact base and nomads

• Advertisement
Advertisement