Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blueing touch up on rifle

Options
  • 09-10-2012 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on bluing.My remy 700, just 1 deer old :-) has a few scratches on the barrell due to the moderator marking it. I've resovled the problem with the mod marking the barrel, but there are a few light scratches on the end of the barrel which I want to get rid of.

Can I do this myself with a bluing pen, and if so, what type, or is this something that would be better for a pro to do ?

Regards
    Eamon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

wexfordman wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on bluing.My remy 700, just 1 deer old :-) has a few scratches on the barrell due to the moderator marking it. I've resovled the problem with the mod marking the barrel, but there are a few light scratches on the end of the barrel which I want to get rid of.

Can I do this myself with a bluing pen, and if so, what type, or is this something that would be better for a pro to do ?

Regards
    Eamon

Have you any images? Is it really that bad? I find that blueing done poorly looks worse than the scratch itself, just my $0.02.

If the rifle is a work-gun, I don't think I would bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭marksman9999

If you want top class work done, Try Ralf Neibauer, O'Callaghans Mills, Clare, 06506835825. Had some work done on an old s/s shotgun. Fantastic craftsman, originally worked in Krieghoff. pices are not too extreme for what he does

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I have a birchwood Casey gun blue touch up pen. It works fine on small nicks and scratches. Personally I reckon you'd want to have wrecked it altogether to justify the cost of re-bluing.

I'm very particular about my guns too, but at the end of the day it's a stalking rifle. You could catch it on a fence or gate the day you get it back from re-bluing.

I'd go with the pen for now. Most gun shops have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

In fact I think I saw them on the shelf in Michael Fenlon's in Inch last wk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The most important thing is to completely degrease the area being blued. Use alcahol/ethanol and don't touch it afterwards - your fingertips will leave a greasy reidue which will stop the blue taking properly. Depending on the size of the area, you might need a few coats, wire wooling gently and cleaning between coats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement