Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU AGM 2012/13 (Thursday 11th October @ 3pm in the Concert Hall)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

reunion wrote: »
    Actually that's incorrect, the proposer said no such thing, in fact he said he was approached by other students to bring this issue forward

"He" - you mean you. And that's not me giving away your identity... you said you were putting forward the motion in another comment on this forum.

Firstly, I'm not a sabbat, I'm a current student.
    Secondly, I don't think that's abuse, I just don't like you. I'm not going around saying I don't like you, but I've no problem saying it straight to you. As I did earlier.
    Thirdly, I didn't delete the comments, I blocked you. Why? Because I don't like you, it's that simple.
    Apparently the former communications officer confirms figures given to Philip Mudge about an focal are wrong! Serious issues highlighted there.

I never said what information you got wrong, I just said you did in fact have information that was wrong. I have no doubt that Philip gave you correct figures, but you're quite clearly misinterpreting these facts and figures. As I said before, I'll outline all your errors to you in person tomorrow, at the meeting. Have a little patience ffs.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Well they do get a lot of scrutiny because its our money that paying for the paper at a cost of reduced services when with An Focal there is a lot of money could be saved for removing the print.

The idea is that An Focal covers it's own costs through advertising revenue. Last year, it was the Comms Office income that covered the Comms Office expenditure... so while An Focal might look like it lost money (on paper), it was actually covered by money gained through other advertising streams specifically for use on the paper.

This year, theres no Comms Officer. So all the other streams of advertsing have gone to Keith Quinlan. So the lads doing AF this year have to cover the costs of AF solely through ads going in the paper.

There wern't many ads in the first two editions, but the ad sales have been improving in the last week or so. It's very likely that it will pay for itself but I agree with you in that the print run needs to be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

"He" - you mean you. And that's not me giving away your identity... you said you were putting forward the motion in another comment on this forum.
    Yes you are
    Firstly, I'm not a sabbat, I'm a current student.
    Secondly, I don't think that's abuse, I just don't like you. I'm not going around saying I don't like you, but I've no problem saying it straight to you. As I did earlier.
    Thirdly, I didn't delete the comments, I blocked you. Why? Because I don't like you, it's that simple.
    Call that person a joke is abuse
    Not to mention the trolololol comment.
    I never said what information you got wrong, I just said you did in fact have information that was wrong. I have no doubt that Philip gave you correct figures, but you're quite clearly misinterpreting these facts and figures. As I said before, I'll outline all your errors to you in person tomorrow, at the meeting. Have a little patience ffs.
    Just give us a quick view on how he got the information he has is wrong but correct?

Cablecar wrote: »
    From my standpoint I've seen and heard instances of incessant, attempted censorship of the publication by other members of the SU staff who are currently engaged in very strong superiority complexes.

I think I know which article you are referring to. I agree with you totally on this. And whats more, I really didn't appreciate the fact that the person you are referring to had the nerve to stand up in front of Class Reps Council and tell a room full of reps to "disregard that article" because it was "full of inaccuracies".

Cablecar wrote: »
    The point here is that a small group of hard working, volunteer students are running one of the few concrete services coming out of the SU at the moment. I have found both publications to be lacking in certain aspects but their virtues far out way their faults. They seem somewhat refreshed and slightly less pro SU biased than in the past and this, for myself and many friends, reflects our attitudes towards this dying institution. I would like to congratulate the An Focal staff for their hard work and hope that they can gather some more well deserved support as they move away from the tight grip of ULSU

Well said.

Yes you are

?? How am I? He said in an earlier comment on this forum that he was going to put forward a motion to cut An Focal. I'm not saying anything he hasn't said himself.

Call that person a joke is abuse
    But I think he is a joke... ?? Lol, maybe I'm just not getting it. I don't see anything wrong with telling someone what I think of them.
    Not to mention the trolololol comment.
    Oh lighten up, you are a Jester after all!! :p:p Era, I've been trolled enough in my day, can I not have a bit of fun?
    Just give us a quick view on how he got the information he has is wrong but correct?

Era, sure you'll have to go to the meeting and find out wont ya! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

first time ive got to use this, this semester

eat-popcorn-3D.gif

least we got into october this time

I was wondering when that would crop up :)

It's so apt tho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tablampa

But I think he is a joke... ?? Lol, maybe I'm just not getting it. I don't see anything wrong with telling someone what I think of them.

Kelly, even though you're not a current sabbat, this abuse is giving SU a really bad image. I saw that post on Facebook and your abuse was completely unprovoked. Telling someone what you think is one thing, but your behaviour is downright childish.

With regards to "An Focal", maybe printing it in black and white and printing less copies could be a better way to go instead of just scrapping it all together.

Just found out I won't make it to the AGM - apparently I have an exam in shorthand :(:(

Not that it's gonna make quorum anyway, but wanted to be there to show Reunion how he has misinterpreted the info given him. Era, I guess I'll just post it here. For the sake of brevity, I'll try condense to three short enough points.

1. The motion
    The motion calls to stop the print edition of An Focal and Magazines such as Cellar Door. The wording of this motion alone reveals some ignorance of the workings of the Comms Office seeing as Cellar Door was a once off publication that occurred almost exactly a year ago. It has not been published since, nor are there any plans to publish it again.

2. The online stats
    The proposer states - “The online version in the meantime has had 56,000+ views on issuu.com which works out at roughly 11,000 views per semester of the paper online.”

These figures seem to be coming from thin air. I can't even find where they might have come from or any info it might be being confused with. Not only that, but issuu.com is the website that HOSTS the PRINT VERSION of An Focal. This is NOT an online news site – the online news site is completely separate and is located at www.anfocal.ie

Total views of An Focal Print Edition on ISSUU.com for AY 2011/12 is 31,325 (not 56k) and the www.anfocal.ie website is averaging between 6,000 and 7,000 individual hits per month.

3. The Finance

Firstly, Reunion includes a figure of €8,473 in his calculations which are amounts incurred BY THE ULSU in bad debts. Bad debts (in relation to An Focal), for anyone who doesn't know (I wouldnt have known until last year), was advertising sold by the Comms Office which was never collected by the ULSU. I find it unfair to include this figure in the calculations because the work was done and the advertising was sold, but the ULSU dropped the ball and never bothered to collect the monies owed it. This is not the fault of An Focal, and the figure should not be included in any calculations relating to it.

Secondly, the figures Reunion quotes are misleading. On paper, An Focal does seem to incur a deficit, but An Focal (in previous years) was never meant to be a money maker - it was meant to be a service provided to UL students. As far as money goes, any previous ULSU VP/Comms Officer will tell you - the cost of producing An Focal was always covered by the money made by the Comms Officer. In other words, the Comms Officers would take on additional duties that were not in their job description in order to cover the cost of An Focal. So while An Focal appears to have lost money in recent years, the Comms Office income (income generated by the Comms Officer his or herself specifically to cover the cost of An Focal) has always covered it. Therefore, no student monies were ever spent on An Focal - it was covered completely by advertising revenue.

This year, things have changed. No Comms Officer means no additional streams of income. Therefore, money-making ad sales such as On Campus Activations, Package Deals, Web Ads, Posters, Product Placement, Sponsorship etc etc have all become the remit of the Events and Promotions Officer. This means that An Focal has to cover its cost through ad sales exclusively. The first two editions have not done this. The people running it know this, and have been working pretty hard to make ends meet. In the past two weeks, they have been bringing in a lot more ad revenue for future editions and they are pretty confident that with this advertising revenue and with a few cost cutting measures, they will achieve a cost neutral platform - thus providing a service for UL students on a cost neutral basis. I'm sure this will come up at tomorrows meeting, but I thought I'd outline it for anyone who cannot make it.

The annoying thing is, all of the above - cost cutting measures coming into effect, more ad sales, more online presence etc - these are issues that have already been raised in a constructive way BEFORE this ridiculous motion was put forward. The motion only serves to create a bad work environment for those working on An Focal who, if I can remind you, are indeed current UL students doing this for no monetary gain whatsoever.

It's a pity I can't make the meeting afterall, because I'm sure that once all the above is outlined, those that have supported this motion will realise how truly insignificant their claims actually are... especially considering that there is a much more important issue still ongoing right now in the Union regarding the proposed change to the 1/3 to 2/3 split - in my opinion, thats the isue that students should be thinking about and discussing right now.

Era, had hoped that would be a short comment. Thanks to anyone who stuck with it til the end :p I'll head away now and study for this test. Good luck to all in the meeting tomorrow.

Kel

Tablampa wrote: »
    Kelly, even though you're not a current sabbat, this abuse is giving SU a really bad image. I saw that post on Facebook and your abuse was completely unprovoked. Telling someone what you think is one thing, but your behaviour is downright childish.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the fact of the matter is that I'm not a current sabbat and, therefore, nothing I say should be taken as a ULSU stance in any way shape or form. I spent enough time last year being told what I could and couldnt say, so I dont plan on continuing that trend to prevent the ULSU getting a "bad image".

The 'abuse' was not totally unprovoked by the way - myself and Kevin are no strangers and have had run ins before. I apologise if it looks unprovoked, but I can assure you it is not. I'm not being childish in any way shape or form - I consider the man in question to BE an absolute joke, for many reasons other than his stance on the current issue. I wont go into those issues, as this is a public forum. I had no intention of coming onto boards and calling him a joke, by the way. I said it to him directly on the facebook page of a mutual friend of both of us. He's the one who took a screenshot of a personal and restricted post and put it on boards for all to see.
    With regards to "An Focal", maybe printing it in black and white and printing less copies could be a better way to go instead of just scrapping it all together.

I agree with you totally on this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Tablampa

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the fact of the matter is that I'm not a current sabbat and, therefore, nothing I say should be taken as a ULSU stance in any way shape or form. I spent enough time last year being told what I could and couldnt say, so I dont plan on continuing that trend to prevent the ULSU getting a "bad image".

The 'abuse' was not totally unprovoked by the way - myself and Kevin are no strangers and have had run ins before. I apologise if it looks unprovoked, but I can assure you it is not. I'm not being childish in any way shape or form - I consider the man in question to BE an absolute joke, for many reasons other than his stance on the current issue. I wont go into those issues, as this is a public forum. I had no intention of coming onto boards and calling him a joke, by the way. I said it to him directly on the facebook page of a mutual friend of both of us. He's the one who took a screenshot of a personal and restricted post and put it on boards for all to see.

Actually, I'm fully aware of these issues you have. I realise you don't get on but you made it completely personal for no reason. You say you're allowed to have your opinions, I think he should also be allowed to have his. And you didn't even watch what you said when you were a sabbat, even if you were told to.

Look, I have no personal issues with you but I just don't think the way you've behaved was appropriate.

At least we agree on what should be done with An Focal ;)

Actually, I'm fully aware of these issues you have. I realise you don't get on but you made it completely personal for no reason. You say you're allowed to have your opinions, I think he should also be allowed to have his.

Well we had gotten over some stuff... and believe it or not we were actually facebook friends up until today... but this latest stunt was genuinely just the last straw for me. Cmere, I dont want to get into that though, this is a public forum and as I said above, I didnt want to bring that kinda stuff onto here.
    you didn't even watch what you said when you were a sabbat, even if you were told to.

Believe it or not, most of the time I actually did! I could write a book with all the s**t I was told not to say :P :P
    Look, I have no personal issues with you but I just don't think the way you've behaved was appropriate.

Ditto, I've no problem with you either (well, I dunno who you are, but I assume I dont!). But I would like to apologise to you though, if you have a problem with anything I've said. And to anyone else who might have had a problem with it actually! I'm impulsive and rash and I say things I shouldnt say all the time :pac:

...but I would like to reiterate that all I did was get into an argument with him and call him a joke to his face (or to his virtual face?!) on a post that only a limited amount of people could see... I didnt call him anything worse, I didnt want to bring it on boards, I havnt plastered screenshots of it on public forums :confused: - that was his decision.
    At least we agree on what should be done with An Focal ;)

There is that :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

Won't somebody please think of the principles.... :P

http://www.anfocal.ie/comment/5287/a-declaration-of-principles

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

For anyone who missed the sabbats abuse (before she deleted it):

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Juc4x4hXMCcGhLMVV0UWpsM1E

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Juc4x4hXMCZ3lTTENLVzdyWUE

Apparently the former communications officer confirms figures given to Philip Mudge about an focal are wrong! Serious issues highlighted there.

How very inappropriate and petty to bring a personal argument into this forum in the hope of publicly vilifying someone who disagrees with your point of view. And forgive me for saying so, reunion, but I have little faith in any of the figures you've been throwing around, considering how easy it was to unravel and detangle the Charity Week ones you attempted, earlier this week, to use as proof of An Focal's 'incompetency'. I'm all for hearing opinions contrary to mine, but I find your method of communicating yours - through blatent misinterpretation of figures and sweeping statements you rarely prove - to be innately flawed.

Annnnnnd now I'm done posting on this issue. Looking forward to hearing tomorrow's ruling. :pac:

How very inappropriate and petty to bring a personal argument into this forum in the hope of publicly vilifying someone who disagrees with your point of view.

My heart lept into my throat when I saw this, I thought you were about to tear strips off me... imagine my joy when I find it to be the opposite!!! :D:D

Maybe boards isnt so bad after all :D:D
    Annnnnnd now I'm done posting on this issue. Looking forward to hearing tomorrow's ruling.

Me tooooo :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

Everyone involved with the SU, the officers, the C&S executive, the main detractors, are such horrible, horrible people. Just one thin veiled passive aggressive snipe at one another over and over again. Absolutely nothing positive has come out of both organisations in the last 5 years.

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour, extremely unprofessional and childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Everyone involved with the SU, the officers, the C&S executive, the main detractors, are such horrible, horrible people. Just one thin veiled passive aggressive snipe at one another over and over again. Absolutely nothing positive has come out of both organisations in the last 5 years.

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour, extremely unprofessional and childish.

:D:D

F*ck yes!

The idea is that An Focal covers it's own costs through advertising revenue. Last year, it was the Comms Office income that covered the Comms Office expenditure... so while An Focal might look like it lost money (on paper), it was actually covered by money gained through other advertising streams specifically for use on the paper.

This year, theres no Comms Officer. So all the other streams of advertsing have gone to Keith Quinlan. So the lads doing AF this year have to cover the costs of AF solely through ads going in the paper.

There wern't many ads in the first two editions, but the ad sales have been improving in the last week or so. It's very likely that it will pay for itself but I agree with you in that the print run needs to be reduced.

Soooooo you're telling me that An Focal is making a loss and had to be covered by other income from ad not in the paper that it can't use this year.
    You pointed out that the students who are doing it with there own spare time and all power to them but I'm still paying for what is a waste of money when you can do most of it for free (TST) and still generate money. People what the print edition and I understand the why but there is no point in looking of money when you have such money pits in the organisation. I'm kinda disappointed that they was not a motion to reduce sabbats pay. We need to fix the holes on this ship
    not bailout the water. Unless you add one thing the print ed does to boost money that can't be done online I don't see why it should be kept. Right now the paper is all filler. The lack of content is scary and would not be as noticeable if it was online. Most of the extra segment was filled with ads for on focal that just annoyed me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

are there any google ads on tst i can't see any

• Advertisement

You pointed out that the students who are doing it with there own spare time and all power to them but I'm still paying for what is a waste of money when you can do most of it for free (TST)

I guess the point I'm making is that it CAN be done for free. And if enough people want the service, and the service can be done for free, then I dont see why it shouldnt exist. :o

I guess the point I'm making is that it CAN be done for free. And if enough people want the service, and the service can be done for free, then I dont see why it shouldnt exist. :o

Or we could use the money SAVED from coving An Focal print to have MORE services instead of one :o

Or we could use the money SAVED from coving An Focal print to have MORE services instead of one :o

But there wouldnt be any money saved!!? Haha :o

Maybe I'm just not saying it right, sorry :pac:

But i mean that say if two co-op students were doing the paper... That would be free if they were on unpaid placement. It would also give them really good experience if journalism was something they wanted to go into later in life.

One student does the layout and manages the sub eds who assign the articles, and the other student goes ringing companies to see if they want to advertise in the paper. Money brought in from adverts is spent on printing the paper...

So if the paper was cut... Theres no money coming in from adverts... So there would BE no money to spend on other services!!! :P :P

To be brutally honest, I'd actually agree with you to some extent... But I dont think its fair to be so general :(

In the above, you're lumping so many groups in together that they surely cant ALL be horrible people :P

You've got every member of a club or soc, every voluntary committee member, every officer, every staff member, every radio presenter, every unpaid coop student, every class rep and every An Focal writer lumped in there together as "horrible people". Statistic says there should be a few alright ones thrown in there :p:p

I had somewhat the same opinion as you between first and third year. I wrote for the paper and i was on the comittee of a society... But i didnt see them as being part of the su. And i hated the su. But then my opinion changed when i got more involved... I met some genuinely nice people in my time there. Met some great friends and boy that i fell in love with :pac:

But maybe itwas just me transforming into a horrible person. Era! :o

But there wouldnt be any money saved!!? Haha :o

Maybe I'm just not saying it right, sorry :pac:

But i mean that say if two co-op students were doing the paper... That would be free if they were on unpaid placement. It would also give them really good experience if journalism was something they wanted to go into later in life.

One student does the layout and manages the sub eds who assign the articles, and the other student goes ringing companies to see if they want to advertise in the paper. Money brought in from adverts is spent on printing the paper...

So if the paper was cut... Theres no money coming in from adverts... So there would BE no money to spend on other services!!! :P :P
    You said that An Focal made a loss and it was cover by other steams of revenue. Now if we stop the print no money would have to be brought from other streams to cover the cost meaning more money for the SU to spend. Ad space could be sold online

You said that An Focal made a loss and it was cover by other steams of revenue. Now if we stop the print no money would have to be brought from other streams to cover the cost meaning more money for the SU to spend. Ad space could be sold online

Oh right, no I meant that it was covered by other streams of revenue last year and in the years previous to this by the comms officer taking on extra work in order to pay for the paper.

This year, they want to (well, they'll have to) do it on a cost neutral basis (using what iv outlined above) which means making enough cuts and bringin in enough ads so that AnFocal is only spending the money its making directly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moderator note: Personalising arguments or discussions generally makes the person personalising them look like an idiot - and, more pertinently, makes the point of the post look like an attack rather than an attempt to make a valid point. When making a post (really, anywhere, but definitely here), kindly do yourself the favour of not making yourself look like an idiot. You don't have to act like an adult (growing up and growing old are not synonymous) but people sitting at the adult table get taken a lot more seriously when they do. Your mileage may vary but all of this stuff is searchable forever. Build a foundation before building an ego on top of it - or, better still, just make your point reasonably like a rational individual.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Oh right, no I meant that it was covered by other streams of revenue last year and in the years previous to this by the comms officer taking on extra work in order to pay for the paper.

Since An Focal was covered by other revenue sources it was running at a loss.
    money-making ad sales such as On Campus Activations, Package Deals, Web Ads, Posters, Product Placement, Sponsorship etc etc have all become the remit of the Events and Promotions Officer.
    The other revenue streams the you mention were used to fund An Focal previously (if you view the communications office as a whole, rather than just viewing An Focal's net position) are all still there. They've just been re purposed.

Do you know what the term opportunity cost is?

Those other revenue streams are independent of An Focal. Funding An Focal with those streams means they couldn't be used for other purposes as they are now.

An Focal runs at a loss. I believe that the SU accountant has accurate figures for An Focal which will hopefully come to light today.

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Do you know what the term opportunity cost is?

No I don't. What does it mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

Advertisement