Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the best place to emigrate to?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I am in a position that means I need to consider emigrating.

Female, middle aged, have worked in the public service for years. It is a permanent job, but I need to emigrate because a local nutcase has a grudge against me, and is making my life very difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best place to emigrate to?

I am looking mostly at EU countries, as this seems easier. Unfortunately I don't have a good command of any foreign language. I have some French and some Turkish, if that helps anywhere?

I also have an extensive knowledge of the public services that are available in Ireland, but I don't see how that helps in getting a job abroad.

I would need to get a job relatively quickly, as money would be in short supply.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't mean to sound unhelpful, but rushing an emigration (even with what sound like very stressful extenuating circumstances) is likely to result in swapping one set of stressful conditions for another, altogether messier stressful conditions.

Language doesn't have to be an issue, although it does raise the question of whether you've considered the UK - no language issues, fewer cultural transitions to handle, plus a greater likelihood that you may be able to transfer more of your professional experience to a new role.

Can you move locally as a short term measure to get yourself a bit of breathing space and time to prepare/plan for emigration properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You could just move to a different city in Ireland.

I know people that moved to Dublin don't see people from Cork for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Thanks for both suggestions.

This nut is likely to try to find me if I re-locate within Ireland. I have been told that a determined person (and we are talking about a determined family) can find someone by accessing any one of a number of databases. Once I thought about it I realised this was accurate, and emigrating was potentially a good option.

The reason I am thinking EU country is that I may be able to set up my own business, but only if I go to one of the poorer EU countries, as the business I have in mind will not work in a rich country like the UK.

Where is the best country to go to if you want to work with people who are trying to immigrate to Ireland, and set up a business helping them to re-locate?

I will try moving locally as a short term measure, but I don't expect it to succeed.

Advertisement