Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

olive oil for dry skin

Options
  • 09-10-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

We have a newborn (6 days old) with flakey dry skin on hand feet and face.
    Was recommended olive oil. Anyone with any experience of this?

Stupid question time! Is that the same as the olive oil for cooking or is there a baby version of it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I used Ovelle "baby aqueous cream"from the beginning as my little man had very dry skin and found it great. Theres nothing in it! But yes, if you go for the oil it is the same olive oil you cook with. Did you get the eumom pack? The little tube of moisturiser in it is fantastic too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Were they overdue I wonder? Mine was 14 days past due date and she had loads of dry skin. The midwife told me it was very common in overdue babies, and to leave it sort itself out.

I didn't put anything on it at the time anyway, and it went away in a few weeks.

She got a small bit of excema later on where the dry skin was, and I used sudocreme on that, which seemed to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter had it also and like pwurple she was a week overdue. I used a tiny bit of johnsons baby oil after her bath but didnt use anything any other day and it just went away in a few weeks. But she didnt have it on her face.
    Congrats by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My little boy was 5days early and his was bad :) think it's just their skin getting used to the outside world after a 9month long bath :) its funny how nurses and midwives differ, mine told me to keep it well moisturised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

thanks for the replys and yes, she was 9 days overdue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aqueous cream on them every morning and night and wash them with silcocks base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we just used virgin olive oil (lidl/aldi) after his bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Its pricier than silcocks or aqueous but I found La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume AP brilliant. Our little fella used to get red bumps on his face when he came into contact with anything new - put this stuff on and it was gone in the morning. It lasts for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Redpunto wrote: »
    Its pricier than silcocks or aqueous but I found La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume AP brilliant. Our little fella used to get red bumps on his face when he came into contact with anything new - put this stuff on and it was gone in the morning. It lasts for ages.

+1, this is a great product. I can get very bad dry skin myself and I use this. It cleared up my son's excema very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I still use olive oil on my almost 13 month old. He gets a bath once a week and we slather him in olive oil afterwards. You can use normal olive oil, but we bought the pharmacy grade one- more for convenience of not mixing it up with our cooking oil and for having it in a smaller bottle. We're not stingy when using it, and still only just finishing our second bottle of it since he was born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

beware of aqueous cream - it can be irritating for some. IMO article
    olive oil or other natural oils are best imho, but also nothing but water in the bath if you can, maybe some very mild natural soap like baby organics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I was told any old pressed natural oil is fine, once it's cold pressed. We use a type of sunflower oil for our baby massage class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Redpunto wrote: »

Brilliant stuff this is. I use it myself throughout both my pregnancies as I had very very dry skin and cleared up instantly.
    You can find La Roche Posay Cicaplast for babies too which is also great as bum cream.

Both my babies had the dry flaky skin and because they were still few weeks old, I only used Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Just the normal one you dress your salad with.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff this is. I use it myself throughout both my pregnancies as I had very very dry skin and cleared up instantly.
    You can find La Roche Posay Cicaplast for babies too which is also great as bum cream.

Both my babies had the dry flaky skin and because they were still few weeks old, I only used Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Just the normal one you dress your salad with.

I got the cicaplast cream and it didnt clear up the dry skin for me so I switched to silcocks base. however the cicaplast I began to use it myself as a moisturiser (the once in a blue moon I get the time to use it) so its not going to waste.

Havent had a nappy rash yet, but I'm well prepared - Vasogen, Bepanthan, Caldesene spray, Sudocrem, I'm ready to go!

Advertisement