Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st real dso attempt ever - M31

Options
  • 09-10-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just thought I would share my first ever astrophotography dso attempt.

It is The Andromeda Galaxy, using a Canon Eos300d at iso1600 through a Skywatcher 80 ED Pro mounted on a Meade LXD55 mount. Polar alignment took about 10 minutes.

Here is the 11 stacked images, 7 minutes in total, stacked using Deep Sky Stacker, then a limited amount of tweaking in GIMP, cos I hadnt a clue what I was at with the processing :D

Andromeda11gimp.jpg

And here is one 67 second single shot from the night.

IMG_6209.jpg

Feel free to comment or offer any advice for next time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

That's a very good effort for a first attempt. Much better than I managed to do when I started out. Look into taking dark and flat files for reducing noise, it'll really help to polish up the final image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I took darks, 20s and 30s ones.

They are in the first image, but straight out of DSS it was very grey, even worse than the first stacked one that I have up on the FB page -

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ktec-Telescopes/189618134464015

Then my bro helped me process it a bit in GIMP, and the end result is the 1st image in my op.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

well done, nice image

Advertisement