Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child not settling in Creche :-(

Options
  • 09-10-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

My 2 yr old has started going to a creche for 2 half days a week. Just to get him mixing with other children his own age really (and a chance for me to get some work done uninterrupted lol!)

We had 2 settling in days for approx an hour each time, where one of us stayed on the premises or even in the room with the kids for most of the time

He has been in for 3 days so far and one of us stayed for 10mins until he was busy playing with toys before saying goodbye and that we would collect him later etc.

We have been called to collect him by the staff 2 of the 3 days because he was really upset and had been crying for long periods. The other day they didn't call us but when I arrived to collect him he was crying and was still sobbing about 2hrs later (which meant he had probably been crying most of the time he was in the creche:( )

Not sure what to do, if its normal or what the problem is. TBH we are not really getting encouraging signs from the staff either (except for one of the ladies in the room).
    We are thinking of giving up (trying somewhere different or even keeping him home where he is happy out playing with me!)
    They don't seem to be doing too much to convince us that he will be fine in a while, that it takes time to settle or that other children are like this too etc. Nearly seems as if it would suit them if we decided not to bring him back!

Any advice or suggestions, welcomed.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

maybe try playschool instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

no experience with two years old at the moment - but I find it easier (on me, and our baby) to just leave when he's busy, rather than loitering and then telling him we'll be back, making a big scene (not saying that you do, but you know what I mean). So I'd just drop him, set him down with his toys, kiss goodbye, and off I go. It was tough for the first week, a good few tears, but a week later he's happy out, and barely notices when we leave (but then our baby is only 10 months old, so it may be easier).

You could try a childminder rather than the creche? May be a bit more homely, less kids, more focus on your child?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I work with this age group - yes it is very normal for the child to cry at the start. like someone else said, the best thing to do is to leave quickly without making a scene and the child should be distracted by the staff whenever he becomes upset. It helps if the staff know what sorts of toys/stories/songs he likes at home so they can distract him more effectively.

I would stick it out.

Although it sounds like you have concerns about the staff and if that makes you uncomfortable ( It would make me!) then finding somewhere else might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

normalish wrote: »
    I work with this age group - yes it is very normal for the child to cry at the start. like someone else said, the best thing to do is to leave quickly without making a scene and the child should be distracted by the staff whenever he becomes upset. It helps if the staff know what sorts of toys/stories/songs he likes at home so they can distract him more effectively.

I would stick it out.

Although it sounds like you have concerns about the staff and if that makes you uncomfortable ( It would make me!) then finding somewhere else might be best.

My daughter in crèche over a year and she two and a half we still get odd days like that but I do as previous poster does show them a toy they like and give a big hug and tell her mammy be back later she just going to college. Then when I come in make a big fuss. As hard as it is it's easier making it quick. My daughter used to cry and I was awful upset until one day I forgot to bring in her medicine went to car and came back and she was in stitches laughing with her friend. It cheered me up no end as I thought she was unsettled for hours, also be prepared they sometimes cry when you come back to collect them as they remember u left them

Advertisement