Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some electrical training help!

Options
  • 09-10-2012 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm looking for some help or guidance in the area if electrical training, just to get familiar with the terms and diagrams used in switches and boxes so I could carry out some work at home and around the yard! Things like flourescent lights and adding a few extra sockets! Basic really but Id rather feel comfortable with the terms before I go doing any work. I have a basic knowledge already and know how to go about the physical side of the work, it's more the paperwork or diagram and terms side of it I'm unsure of! If there's any books or websites ye know of I'd appreciate the help! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Here, here or here.

Talk to an electrician and you might be able to provide some help with the installation, save some money and learn a little. The reason you won't find a short introduction type course into Electrical Installations is because it's dangerous, a little knowledge is a bad thing, and you can hurt yourself or others if you don't know what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Thanks for that, I get what you mean about the "work experience" type offer. I'm hoping to find a few books online or even tutorials on the terms and figures so that should keep me busy for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

There are a few DIY books around, I know Homebase has one and there's about 400 pages in it. There's a few pieces about replacing damaged sockets and fitting light fixtures. Keep to the small jobs and you'll be fine, but as Magnolia said it can be very dangerous if done incorrectly.

It takes an electrician 4 years to qualify and even then they're still inexperienced so if you're unsure about anything call in a professional.

Advertisement