Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small chroming jobs

Options
  • 09-10-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm sorry, this is probably not the most appropriate place to post this, but it seems to be the most reliable place to find people knowledgeable on the subject. I'm looking for a small length of steel chain to be chromed, and from reading the threads already posted in this forum on the subject, sending it to the UK seems to be the only viable option.

The only (reasonable) reputable company in Ireland offering the service is, to my knowledge, Tubular Steel Products (also known as Wechrome, I believe) Although they told me they could chrome the chain, their minimum price was E100, plus 23% vat. Pointing out that the chain was only fifteen inches long and that I didn't want it plated in gold didn't help.

Many people on this forum mentioned sending parts abroad for chroming, and said the results were not only better, but considerably cheaper, even including postage. I have no idea where to even begin searching, so I wonder is there anyone with experience who can recommend a company that will take on a small job for a reasonable price?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As far as I know there is nowhere in Ireland that does hard chroming only chrome plating. I have just got a quote for this light from http://www.ashfordchroming.com as I hear they are very good. This is the reply I got.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for making an enquiry with Ashford Chroming.

I have set our prices for the chroming work as specified - If you scroll down below you can get straight to the Costs they are in bold. Please take time to read below and understand our offer and why you should place your business with Ashford Chroming.

Metal restoration work is a timely, demanding and skilled process. Ashford Chroming offers a high level of work to customers all over the world using state of the art Plant, Chemistry and Skilled Labor.

Preparation is the key to good restoration work and because of the hazardous chemicals used and the dying trade of metal polishing, an expensive one. This is often overlooked to lower costs by many of our competitors.

Ashford Chroming strives to produce consistent high standards of work to satisfy the demands of our many customers and clients all over the world. Please view our work at the link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashfordchroming

We chemically strip each part first removing all traces of Chrome, Nickel and Copper. We then polish them back to a flawless mirror using a skilled senior polisher. This process helps remove pitting, scratches and flaws in the surface. This is a highly skilled process that takes years of training. Sometimes pitting can be so extensive that the polishing process will further compromise the part. In this instance we will discuss further options with you.

Repairs are often required, and more often can not be established until the polishing process has begun. If repairs are required we will discuss this with you once highlighted.

Your parts are then triple plated using Copper, Nickel and finally Chrome. Each part is given at least two hours of Nickel Plate which adds protection and improved finish to your parts. Work is then hand checked and polished.

Here is our Estimation for work:

To strip, polish and chrome:
    1, 2,3 & 4 £25 each
    balance of parts £125.00

TOTAL: £225.00 + P&P + vat and Insurances if required.

Please allow a minimum of 28 working days for the completion of the work, although we do have a priority service for work that is needed more urgently. This is offered at a surcharge of 25%, and will be completed within a week. All estimates are subject to our standard terms and conditions which are available at www.ashfordchroming.com.
    A deposit payment of 50% is required with orders over £500.00. All prices are subject to standard rate of VAT.

If you would like to place your order please drop me a reply to this mail. You will need to print this email and send it along with all your contact details to us at the postal address below. If you have any specific instructions please make them clear in your paper-work. If you have asked us to arrange collection, and insurance for your goods is required, you must notify us, as alternatively the £50 standard cover will apply. Any charge for extra insurance will be due at time of booking.

I hope you find this estimate acceptable and I look forward to receiving your order or comments.

Kind Regards

Andrew Bates

Ashford Chroming
    Telephone +44 (0) 1233 660879
    Mobile +44 (0) 7582 401199
    http://www.ashfordchroming.com

2012-07-19120203.jpg
    2012-07-19121340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

What size are the chain links , is it coated steel ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Remanada

Thanks, fergal, I'll check tis place out. The links are 500mm thickness and the chain is about 26cm long. it's bare, dull steel.

I'm wondering, is chrome plating or electroplating more expensive? I assume chrome plating just involves dipping the object in molten chrome, or is it more complicated than that? I think electroplating involves chemicals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Remanada wrote: »
    I'm wondering, is chrome plating or electroplating more expensive? I assume chrome plating just involves dipping the object in molten chrome, or is it more complicated than that? I think electroplating involves chemicals?

Have you considered looking at the possibillity of buying a new chrome chain? I imagine this must be available from boat chandlery suppliers or similar.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It's a bit more complicated than that alright and both ways involve chemicals no molten chrome.

It might work out cheeper to find a bit of chain used fore something else like this light hanging chain http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-1-Heavy-Duty-Chrome-Plated-Hanging-Chandelier-Light-Chain-New-/300789480050?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item4608733a72#ht_2866wt_1001 or even stainless steel chain http://www.chainandrope.ie/products/stainless-steel-long-link-chain you can also get this from marine shops and if you like you could polish it to a mirror finish.

It probably would be cheaper to just find a ready-chromed chain made to the same or similar specifications. I don't know anything about polishing chain, though. And I've just realised I confused my measurements :"> The links are 5mm thick, not 500...... Holy ****, I'd have trouble just lifting a chain that big!

Although, looking around it might be difficult fo find a chain as chunky as this in chrome. The one's for hanging light fittings are more delicate, slender types....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

Hi Fergal,
    If you decide togo with this company can you let us know how happy/unhappy you are with the result.
    I've a bunch of stuff I'd like to get re-chromed, there are some little dents on pieces which I dont know if that can be fixed.

Be interested to know how your parts work out..

Thanks

Do you mind me asking what its for.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭selfdiy

Not at all. I have a Mercedes W114 that I'm planning to restore. I'm still driving it currently.

Eventually id ike to get all the chrome redone on it, bumpers, trims along the the side, door handles.

The bumpers have some flakey bits where the the chrome is lifting. The door handles have some pitting and the side trims have an odd dent here and there.

How about something like this http://mbdogharnesses.co.uk/chain-lead-62-01-03 nickel plated is very close to chrome.

selfdly the more I look at the price the more I think my chrome looks ok :D I might even be able to pick another one up on ebay in better nick for less than the price of rechroming http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251163353595?nma=true&si=rhRg2%2FNL%2F1RMIgaG9Vl7fDZDCS0%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true#ht_500wt_1235 or I might just get the 4 light housing done at £25, if I do I'll let you know.

heavy%20dog%20lead%20nickel%20%206.5mm.jpg

Hmm, only problem is that website says that chain is brass plated and nickel plated on the same page. Still, might go for it if nothing else turns up.

selfdiy wrote: »
    Not at all. I have a Mercedes W114 that I'm planning to restore. I'm still driving it currently.

Eventually id ike to get all the chrome redone on it, bumpers, trims along the the side, door handles.

The bumpers have some flakey bits where the the chrome is lifting. The door handles have some pitting and the side trims have an odd dent here and there.

Question was aimed at the OP........;)

Oh, dear, I'm going to have to fess up :o

Have you ever seen someone with a wallet chain? One of those things hanging from a belt loop into the pocket to stop his wallet from being stolen? Have you ever seen someone with an absurdly big one that makes a noise every time he takes a step or sits down?

Have you ever looked at one of those guys and thought "What an arsehole."?

Yeah, basically I'm trying to turn an industrial steel chain into an incredibly tacky piece of jewelery.

Don't judge me! :o

I'm wondering, will zing plating tarnish? I seem to have found something close to what I'm looking for: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-METRE-LONG-GALVANISED-HEAVY-CHAIN-LINK-SIZE-6-x-26mm-/310329206976?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item48410fe8c0#ht_1846wt_1037

I'd have to cut it, but I wonder would I have to polish it as well?

For a minute there I thought you were going to say you wanted to beat them over the head with it :pac:

Zing will go dull after a bit of time and you can't really polish it, if it is going to be worn how about plastic http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=226052481 I can see this tread been moved to fashion next :D

MMM...the problem with chrome is that it does scratch and wear away....if youre rubbing against things and generally using it for what you say i cant see the chrome lasting, especially where the links rub on each other....you could get it decoratively chromed but not polished first, which is why its so expensive....depends on the finish youre after....
    PM sent..

Is this you..:p

MMM...the problem with chrome is that it does scratch and wear away....if youre rubbing against things and generally using it for what you say i cant see the chrome lasting, especially where the links rub on each other....you could get it decoratively chromed but not polished first, which is why its so expensive....depends on the finish youre after....
    PM sent..

Is this you..:p

I wear baggy jeans, and my hair isn't nearly as stupid :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4 snez2

Hi Did any body get any chroming done with the above company if so how did yous get on , i am interested in getting some parts done

• Advertisement

I didn't get it done in the end, I was in two minds on wether the light would good or not on the boat still not 100% sure but I'm leaving it off for the time being :)

20140219_135617.jpg

20140219_141013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I got some car parts tripple plated in Irish custom chrome near roslare verry happy not your usual furniture quality the no was 0539175730

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭B2AUDI80

Used Niphos plating in the uk before , a1 quality and tbh the only copany worth sending bits to

• Registered Users Posts: 4 snez2

ok I am going to try poland my friend says they do good quaility chrome for a fraction of uk prices ,,,,I am sending some parts for a sample so i will let you all know the results and prices ,,,; :)

snez2 wrote: »
    ok I am going to try poland my friend says they do good quaility chrome for a fraction of uk prices ,,,,I am sending some parts for a sample so i will let you all know the results and prices ,,,; :)

Hope its better than their fibreglass/carbon stuff.........;)

Advertisement