Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loreto builder gone out of business

Options
  • 09-10-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Just heard that that the northern Irish builder in charge of the new building at the Loreto has ceased trading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Passed there today and noticed a few Workers gathered together,some were carrying placards of some sort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

link?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Passed there today, they were definitely holding placards, looking to be paid as far as I could see. Will definitely hold up the new extension

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Oh dear...remember commenting to somebody a few weeks back that it was the only major building site going on really in the city these days. Sorry for the workers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

the workers on site will be the worst hit no job and down wages, bet the boys at the top wont be short a few bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Wow...was wondering why the progress on the place was so slow last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I heard that the workers went in yesterday and started 'taking the place apart'. Things like taking doors off the hinges etc. Apparently there were gardai all over the place.

I'm astounded that they didn't hire a local firm to do the building. Why on earth did they have to go out of the country for builders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

A lot of Irish builders opened offices in NI to avail of the faster bankruptcy laws there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Apparantly it is up to the Department Of Education to hire the best the tender, they can do this from anyone in the EU. Any Irish firm can submit a tender anywhere in the EU. It has nothing to do with the school.

I heard that the workers went in yesterday and started 'taking the place apart'. Things like taking doors off the hinges etc. Apparently there were gardai all over the place.

I'm astounded that they didn't hire a local firm to do the building. Why on earth did they have to go out of the country for builders?

I think with EU public sector tender rules as said any company form any country can bid for a tender of work like this.
    In an ideal world yes of course a local company would be preferable but I suppose it works both ways too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

femur61 wrote: »
    Apparantly it is up to the Department Of Education to hire the best the tender, they can do this from anyone in the EU. Any Irish firm can submit a tender anywhere in the EU. It has nothing to do with the school.

This is correct if its a government job then the job has to go out to tender and any company within the eu can apply for it.

The dept of education can't limit it to Irish company's only as this is anti-competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Cabaal wrote: »
    This is correct if its a government job then the job has to go out to tender and any company within the eu can apply for it.

The dept of education can't limit it to Irish company's only as this is anti-competitive

They should do something about that otherwise it makes a mockery of their Buy Irish campaigns. Buy cheap is what they should be telling us. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

They should do something about that otherwise it makes a mockery of their Buy Irish campaigns. Buy cheap is what they should be telling us. :rolleyes:

A government dept can buy anything Irish under €193,000; above that its open to EU tender including Irish companies. Irish companies can also tender for similar jobs across the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just because its cheap doesn't make it good value. I believe that the builder went back up north and left all the sub contractors high and dry.!!!!
    This muppet government are buying everything at the cheapest prices and it all going tits up,look at the state of the health service and remember the fiasco over the exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

This muppet government are buying everything at the cheapest prices and it all going tits up,look at the state of the health service and remember the fiasco over the exam papers.

The government don't have a choice. It has to follow EU rules on tendering. Those same rules also allow Irish firms to tender for jobs across the EU, and therefore helps create Irish jobs.

Also, considering the government has only been in place for 18 months, that construction started last year, and the length of time design and tendering takes, I'm pretty sure that the last government approved the project and tendered for it, not the FG/Labour coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just because they have to tender all over Europe doesn't mean they have to give the work to the cheapest bidder. Do what every other country does and protect their oun industries. Doesn't make sence giving the job to a Northern builder and he then inturn gets southern subbies to do the job. There used to be an old joke about that one.

Just because they have to tender all over Europe doesn't mean they have to give the work to the cheapest bidder. Do what every other country does and protect their oun industries. Doesn't make sence giving the job to a Northern builder and he then inturn gets southern subbies to do the job. There used to be an old joke about that one.

Such as? What do other countries do to protect local tenderers for work?

Advertisement