Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playground - opinions?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

So it looks like we are getting a playground. Any opinions? It does seem to be in a particularly busy (traffic wise) location, and the lack of pedestrian crossings to it are a bit of an issue, but, I guess they could be putting those in after?

Anyone know when it is due to be completed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

To clarify, "we" means Charlesland residents as I assume you are talking about the newly fenced off site on the main green in the estate.

I think it's great and will add life to the place (and of course it will be great for little kids and their parents).

As long as it's fenced in it should be fine. Seems a little small though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

To clarify, "we" means Charlesland residents as I assume you are talking about the newly fenced off site on the main green in the estate.

I think it's great and will add life to the place (and of course it will be great for little kids and their parents).

As long as it's fenced in it should be fine. Seems a little small though.
    seems awful near the junctions..kids and roads why put them together..im all for it tho but not its position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Charlesland is spoilt for playgrounds nearby. One at the Sports park, one at the south beach car park and now one centrally in Charlesland.

They (Zapi) missed trick of locating it somewhere more suitable, like half way up the spine, or even on one of the bigger, quieter greens within the development.

There'll be five pieces of equipment - that's the same number as the sports park, but won't be holding my breath for the same size, type or quality...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

There's a big difference between getting into a car (or walking 20-40 minutes) to get to a playground, and walking 2-5 minutes, especially when you have multiple small children. Every large estate and every school should have a playground. Two or three in a town of 15,000 is way too few.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I think its ridiculous where they're locating it, right next to the busiest junction at the very bottom of the estate. Surely it makes more sense to locate it half way up the road, near the newly installed ramps which would ensure traffic is moving slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Like most things in this banana republic country- nice idea, poor execution!

All in favour of a playground, but its too 'in your face' at the front of the estate. That green is huge, why not something even halfway up?

Is it Zapi or WCC that are building this? Think I'll get in touch, not that it'll make any difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Being a parent with 2 small kids, I think it will be a great addition to the estate, but the location is absolutely ridicules. It should not be located beside a busy roundabout; this is an accident waiting to happen. Why not locate it at the other end of that green where it is much quitter

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

It's Zapi installing the playground as part of their compliance before WCC take over the spine road....I think the work starts today....so it should be finished by Paddys Day.
    Anyone know what else is being done to the place as part of the hand-over.

Seems very small to me.
    Id'd say there'll be a couple of sets of swings and maybe a slide.
    Hardly enough for the growing band of toddlers in the overall development.

Have to agree with Mullie about the location....it's a disaster.
    An

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

I agree that it is great that we will have a playground in the estate but cannot understand why they have positioned it on the busiest roundabout in the estate, It’s probably a bit late now but I have emailed cosec@wicklowcoco.ie highlighting my safety concerns around the location, anyone have contact information for Zapi.

• Advertisement

I understand the points made about the location. I imagine they thought it would be good to locate it near the shops to give that end a community focus. There's already a lot of foot traffic there so why not concentrate that in one area. If it is well fenced off, it might be OK, but even I thought it could have been laid out at least a little further up the green.

I've contacted WCC, hopefully they'll see sense.
    Just spotted this article in todays paper, I think this highlights another potential issue with the location, we want to do everything possible to keep our kids safe.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/parents-on-alert-after-strangers-approach-children-3255618.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

If it was located somewhere else in the estate I have no doubt that there'd be a threads complaining about it not being central enough for everyone. It's only a matter of time before the inevitable threads complaining about gangs of teenagers hanging out there and the ensuing noise etc. etc. etc.

Seriously folks, you're getting a playground for your kids. Can you not, just once, be happy with something being provided free of charge. Young children shouldn't be out unsupervised and if they are being properly supervised then the road shouldn't be a problem.

And I can't see what the linked news report above has to do with this ? Playgrounds will always be a potential target for these kind of scumbags but does that mean we should ban them altogether ? The placement of a playground will make no difference to someone intent on abducting a child. The only way to make sure your kids are safe is to supervise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Swanner wrote: »
    if they are being properly supervised then the road shouldn't be a problem.

I am sure it will be fenced in so that won't be an issue. But, with three small children it is impossible to not see the road as a problem, even with the greatest supervision that one adult can give, when you have a "bolter" roads are always a problem.

I think though that the sight of a playground will make people drive more carefully anyway so that is a good thing. I just wonder if there is any way that it will make people indicate coming off the blasted roundabout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Seriously folks, you're getting a playground for your kids. Can you not, just once, be happy with something being provided free of charge. Young children shouldn't be out unsupervised and if they are being properly supervised then the road shouldn't be a problem.

Whilst I agree that young children shouldn't be let out unsupervised, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the 'getting it for free' comment. The people in Charlesland paid alot for their homes and a playground was an agreed part of this. If it is, as seems to be the case, a small playground in an inappropriate location, then I think people have every right to complain.

A small bit of consultation with the locals would have ironed these issues out early in the piece, but instead, it seems that we have yet another developer that has made a load of cash doing the bare minimum to tick the boxes of their contract. For a housing development that could potentially be home to thousands of young children, I just dont think this is good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's a very different world now. We were all promised lots of things both as individuals and as a community. The reality just didn't bear out. I'm amazed Zapi are doing anything at all. they must have had their hand forced by WCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

I'm amazed Zapi are doing anything at all. they must have had their hand forced by WCC.

As long as its done properly and not half arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Actually, from the perspective of keeping the riff-raff away its a great spot. Nowhere to hide and get up to no good. Nothing worse then car headlights on you every 5 seconds when your trying to cause trouble.

But I agree it would make sense to have it a bit further up the green and hope the current fencing is not an indication of the final size.

If it was located somewhere else in the estate I have no doubt that there'd be a threads complaining about it not being central enough for everyone. It's only a matter of time before the inevitable threads complaining about gangs of teenagers hanging out there and the ensuing noise etc. etc. etc.

And I can't see what the linked news report above has to do with this ? Playgrounds will always be a potential target for these kind of scumbags but does that mean we should ban them altogether ? The placement of a playground will make no difference to someone intent on abducting a child. The only way to make sure your kids are safe is to supervise them.
    obviously no children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Maudi wrote: »
    obviously no children.

You are wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Where exactly is it being planned? As in, where exactly on the green and what end? (I moved, but I'm wondering just out of interest. BTW I'm a parent and would have liked to have this facility while living in Charlesland).

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

It's a very different world now. We were all promised lots of things both as individuals and as a community. The reality just didn't bear out. I'm amazed Zapi are doing anything at all. they must have had their hand forced by WCC.

It is a different world now but I still think they should be held accountable - I would be delighted to hear if it was indeed WCC that are forcing them to do this - it would go to show that there are some things being done properly at the CC.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Maudi wrote: »
    obviously no children.

You are wrong there.
    i stand corrected..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

What about the green areas near the river towards Burnaby Lawns - a playground on one of those green areas would be ideal.
    As far as I can see the paths are walked frequently by residents but the greens are only used the odd time by kids and mostly by roaming dogs.
    Parking should not be a concern as its a playground for the residents who can all walk over to it. Plus it would not be large enough to be a nuisance to the residents on that side.
    Would also ensure that area is lit up better in the evenings too.

My tuppence worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Still no work started when it's a pretty good day today. Suppose they'll wait till Monday to get started (provided someone at management level hasn't put a halt on this due to the concerns).

On a separate note: Who do you think will be the first local councillor/TD to be pictured 'welcoming' the playground in the Wicklow Times? worth a poll me thinks :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

How stupid can people be...

That playground, if where its fenced off is too close to the roundabout... Its a accident waiting to happen, if a car mounts the kerb heading towards the playground, god knows what'll happen..
    Same with the traffic lights just off round abouts... way to close and accidents will happen..
    I wish people would stop and think for once....

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

astrofluff wrote: »
    Still no work started when it's a pretty good day today. Suppose they'll wait till Monday to get started (provided someone at management level hasn't put a halt on this due to the concerns).

On a separate note: Who do you think will be the first local councillor/TD to be pictured 'welcoming' the playground in the Wicklow Times? worth a poll me thinks :rolleyes:

George Jones as per usual:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 yellatdave

Earlsie wrote: »
    It’s probably a bit late now but I have emailed cosec@wicklowcoco.ie highlighting my safety concerns around the location, anyone have contact information for Zapi.

Could only get the following contact info from the Company Registrations Office:
    Zapi Properties Ltd., Fonthill House, Old Lucan Road, Palmerstown, Dublin 20

Anyone have an email address for them?

Emailed the council, but might also be a good idea to get your local management company in on the problem too. Terrified my 6 year old might stray from his 'allowed' play area outside the house to check out this new curiosity nearby (despite regular parental surveillance & warnings to the contrary)!! :(

It looked like work was about to start on it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

i'd hope they';re planning on putting a pedestrian crossing over to it and that parents teach their kids to use it. there's going to be a bad accident in there one day.

on more than one occasion I've had children run out from between parked cars to go play on the green. I think the location is ridiculous though I mean essentially that green is an island surrounded by roads and i can guarantee kids being kids they'll pay no mind to the cars.

There's many green areas off the main roads that would be far more suitable and secure you never know who is watching your kids, especially with such easy access to a main road it's chilling to think of a scenario like that little girl in Wales.

To echo others good idea poor execution.

Advertisement